Shortage of Exynos chip means 70% of first Samsung Galaxy S4s will have Qualcomm Snapdragon 600
0. phoneArena 25 Mar 2013, 07:06 posted on
A report out of Korea says that a shortage in Exynos 5 Octa chip production means that 70% of the first 10 million Samsung Galaxy S4 units will be powered with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 instead of Sammy's own home cooked silicon; the Korean based manufacturer expects to sell 40 million units in the first three months after the launch of the device...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tech2 (Posts: 2917; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Hey Alan, can you tell us when PA will get S4 with Octa processor for review ?
I wanna decide if Octa really helps to save lot of battery and worth waiting !
18. Emily1985 (Posts: 127; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
" Most of those who buy the phone are not going to be able to notice any difference."
If this is true, they would feel the difference between Samsung Samsung s3 and Samsung s4 as well.
19. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Not feeling any difference is more likely the OS than the hardware itself.
24. loyals (Posts: 129; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
android is not even optimised for quad-core properly , then what do do you expect in octa ??
35. shayan (Posts: 158; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
First, it is optimised for multicore systems.
Second, octa is merly a name. it has 8 core, but they dont work to gether all at once. there are 4 low power cores for daily task. which will help battery life. and 4 cores with A15 architecture which will do the heavy tasks...
2. nostarwhere (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
Bad news. Qualcomm chips drain battery faster and gets much hotter than Samsung's Exynos.
13. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
The real bad news? I think Samsung has found a way to cripple the supply chain for some smaller companies (HTC?) that ordered the Snapdragon 600s. Bye bye to the competition...
16. umadddd (banned) (Posts: 29; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Wrong. HTC cites delays because of camera supply issues, not because of SD600
33. Taters (Posts: 4374; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Probably just blamed it on the camera but Qualcomm probably just declared HTC as a non priority for the Qualcomm 600 but HTC can't risk letting it out for PR reasons since Qualcomm is big in the media and the camera manufacturer not so much.
26. loyals (Posts: 129; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
what competition ? htc one or xperia z better than s4 nyday !!
39. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
XZ price will sink fastest in market. XZ is already selling for 35k in india which is 4k drop in less than 2 weeks of launch which is biggest drop.
3. thephoneofi (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
Wow!!! The almighty Samsung having supply issues? No way, that only happens to apple rite?
4. tech2 (Posts: 2917; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Every company has one issue or another !
But unlike your beloved company Samsung has found a workaround to the situation so that the people don't have to wait for months for their phone (only to find out it has dents and scratches) !
11. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I think your beloved Samsung has found a way to cripple the supply chain for some smaller companies (HTC?) that ordered the Snapdragon 600s.
15. umadddd (banned) (Posts: 29; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Wrong. HTC cites delays because of camera supply issues, not because of SD600
21. thephoneofi (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
My beloved company? And just what company would that be?
23. tech2 (Posts: 2917; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
APPLE, YOUR BELOVED COMPANY !
The reason I said that because amongst all other companies (can't imagine you didn't mention LG for Nexus's supply) you tried to cover Apple's ass by pointing out Samsung's flaw which obviously means you love Apple.
Also, not to mention your profile name !
29. thephoneofi (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
Lol no, sorry my beloved company is HTC. You assumed cause I sarcastically took a shot at Samsung, that I'm an apple guy...WRONG. HTC One +y good man. Samsung isn't perfect, nor is apple, Htc, or any one else. My beloved company pfffff. Also my profile name is the phone I own lmao wow man get a clue
36. antelmann22 (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
No, sorry. I don't believe in coincidence. Your name is a reference to Apple.
40. thephoneofi (banned) (Posts: 23; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
My name is David lol. That's not a reference to apple.
8. ajac09 (Posts: 1421; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
troll. Eveyone has supply issues. Samsung LG HTC apple. The reason everyone harps on apple is because they think they are perfect.
10. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Supply 'issues' happen when they just can't make it work like they should..
17. umadddd (banned) (Posts: 29; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
You must have supply issues with your brain cells then LOL XDDDDDD
5. MrJerry (Posts: 402; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Too bad news but I agree that most of people won't even notice and people like me will get Exynos version anyways.... probably from Korea :-).. Exynos octa + hexa-band LTE
But it's damm expensive to buy outright phone in there even though it packed with extra battery kit+ DMB...
6. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7013; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Will this model be in the u.s.? Never saw the gsiii here in the states
9. ajac09 (Posts: 1421; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Most likely the note 3 and the new tabs will have the octo gs4.. maybe if they make a gs4 super version or something or wait till the gs5 next year and hopefully have a true 8 core not dual quad cores.
7. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Snapgragon rocks , exxynos doesn't
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nope, both of them rocks! Exynos using octa core, and I don't even need to say about Snapdragon right? So, both of them rocks!
14. amansingal14 (Posts: 306; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Exynos has only 4 cores working at a time. So its logically quad-core. Still, it rocks :)
Android and WP FTW
20. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I Agree :)
Android and WP FTW!
37. antelmann22 (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Really no. A pure A15 Exynos is most definitely better than the pseudo-A15 Snapdragon. Really depends on what you most care about. I am an audio engineer and am extremely disappointed that I am stuck with Qualcomm's sad excuse for a Digital Audio Converter(DAC) chip. Makes a huge difference for people who care.
38. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Exynos chips are 25% better than Qualcoom and Tegra Tiomap and Novathor!
Do you have any knowledge about Soc or CPU...?
22. _Bone_ (Posts: 2148; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's not unexpected, the country list suggested as much.
25. Floorkill22 (Posts: 20; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
As powerful as the snapdragon 600 is, I really want a see the exynos 5 octa chip in action. There's no doubt that the exynos octa will yield similar if not better performance while being much more battery efficient.
27. voxmarc (Posts: 323; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
it will be a supply issues if the delivery date is pushed back.......but not....so S600 or octa...still a winner....
31. freebee269 (Posts: 529; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
I think this is good news from a customization standpoint. The devs at xda aren't going to support the octa core anyway. S600 is what they are going to be doing.
32. Neurone (Posts: 54; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Seems sammy has issues with octa ever since its launched, overheating probs so it might have been clocked down to 1.6 rather than 1.8Ghz.
and now its production issues....
hope sammy would get 'em straight asap....
34. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
i think that is why in my country pop up GT-i9505x confirmed qualcomm +LTE) not 9500. no lte untill next year or another years
42. wizzardtech (Posts: 59; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
There is so many issues with the Exynos and Samsung cannot mass produced. They have no choice but to use the Snapdragon or the whole production line will suffer, remember
they have only 2 months max to release the device and they cannot afford any downtime.
Have a lot to learn from Qualcomm.. Snapdragon rocks!!
43. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
What the hell is the problem with mass production? The market used to have 3 to 4 different processors now it's down to 1 or 2 what the hell? Where did Tegra and TI OMAP go? Has quality really been thrown in the crapper and we've been forced to take qualcomm sh*t because no one can mass produce except for the cheapest chipset? I don't want a crap dragon give me something else!!! Polish and shine a turd it's still a turd.