Sharp AQUOS Crystal versus HTC One M8: first look
0. phoneArena 20 Aug 2014, 11:48 posted on
Honestly, we can totally agree that these two Android-powered smartphones are memorable for their respective designs. Even though they’re different, they each bear their own unique set of qualities to make them a cut above the competition. The more we look at the two, the more it’s tough for us to concretely select a winner when it comes to design...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3517; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Somehow Sharp made that dimple back look good :p
2. nebsif (Posts: 37; Member since: 27 Jul 2014)
ur "solid" m8 is already chipping, gg, the bezel is strong in that one.
12. vincelongman (Posts: 2952; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
And that is why more phones need to stop using aluminum
Its soft, easy to scratch and chip
Steel is much more durable
13. Ashoaib (Posts: 2919; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I have seen aluminum chipping badly on my collegues iphone 5s.. luckily he broke his phone last week with an impact of fallen iron
16. medtxa (Posts: 829; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
which is more scratch prone I wonder aluminum or polycarbonate?
22. vincelongman (Posts: 2952; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
They are very very similar, more or less the same
26. romeo1 (Posts: 651; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Scratches are easy to get on both but polycarbonate is more flexible so if you drop you phone it wouldn't dent as easily as aluminum. But aluminium feels more "premium". But the htc and sony phones made from polycarbonate also feels "premium" especially the xperia s with the nano coating
14. Ashoaib (Posts: 2919; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
m8 is looking like a phablet infront of sharp
17. medtxa (Posts: 829; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
just see drop test for htc m8. just one drop and there is already scratch on the metal body, there is no way you can fix that. and you stuck with m8 metal chipping body forever. that's just really suck.
3. anuragudaybhat (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Nov 2013)
aquos with sense 6.0 might look awesome!!!
5. B-power (Posts: 182; Member since: 22 Feb 2014)
May I ask why phonearena is comaring this mid-ranger to high-end phones. I know it has a very good design but what else is so good that it gets compared to high-end phones?
15. sgodsell (Posts: 2523; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
I think John V. went to the Sprint event and was carrying a HTC One (M8) to the event and using it as his daily driver. Actually you can see when he recorded the video comparison of the 2, that he was still at the event. So he did just that compare the one he had on him and the new Sprint Sharp device. I know you really can't compare a high-end to a mid-level phone like the Sharp. But you have to take it with a grain of salt as they say.
7. Python212 (Posts: 363; Member since: 13 Aug 2014)
Sharp AQUOS Crystal looks gorgeous! My beloved M8 looks like a damaged good next to it.
8. dorianb (Posts: 555; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
It's on Sprint, so fail.
Tell me when the unlocked GSM version is available
10. Genza (Posts: 430; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
The loud speaker is on the lower back side of the phone and they are using piezoelectric ceramic actuator connected to the phone’s screen module for the ear speaker.
You can read this if you want to know more.
11. xplayer57 (Posts: 32; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Great article! That bezel less display *_*
18. Taters (Posts: 5165; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
If the aquous was 1080p with a s801 or s805 and thinner, I wouldn't care about the next Nexus. Too bad it's low end.
21. TheCynicalTechie (Posts: 78; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
They have a high-end version, it's will probably come to the US later.
24. cc2400 (Posts: 22; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
they do have one. called aquos crystal x. 5.5" 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 chipset with a 2.3GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.
19. romeo1 (Posts: 651; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
In videos on youtube it looked very uncomfortable to use probably because it has almost no bezel. I'll try it when its in the stores to see for myself. But i like the big bezel beneath so you can watch a movie comfortable
20. GalaxyS5 (banned) (Posts: 430; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
I know it nearly has no bezels and it a piece of art and bla bla bla but frankly? it looks more like a 5 inch mini-tv than a smartphone, the M8 is huge for it's size but has many extras my only complaint and the main reason why I did not get an M8 was the camera and as i adore cameras my GS5 would seriously smoke the M8. back to the subject though, the M8 is really the better phone between these two but anyways gotta applaud sharp for this it's awesome
23. cc2400 (Posts: 22; Member since: 21 Aug 2014)
I really hope that it does well enough that we see more sharp phones here in the US. Sharp also makes a 5.5 version (named crystal x) of this phone, with even better internals. 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 chipset with a 2.3GHz processor and 2GB of RAM. And looking at them side by sice the 5.5in version is hardly any bigger!
25. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
OMG 2 pretty design phones side by side.
Apple and Samsung, please design something good like them!!!