Self-charging battery developed by Georgia Tech, uses your movement to recharge
0. phoneArena 19 Aug 2012, 07:41 posted on
Researchers at GeorgiaTech have come up wth a self-charging battery that uses a person's movement to recharge; while not quite ready to be mass-produced; eventually a smartphone could be recharged by connecting to a wearable battery that recharges from the user's movements...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. rihel_95 (Posts: 245; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
WTF! this means future phones are to be carried in boots, not pockets.
I love The Rock "Boots To A**es"
2. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1058; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
i would actually pay whatever price for that
3. sarb009 (Posts: 294; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
It means its a lie," These boots are made for walking and that's just they will do " ?
4. itiswhatitis (Posts: 423; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Decided not to read after 'polyvinylidene difluoride'
5. phljcnth (Posts: 323; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I just hope future charging will not require me to put any devices in my shoe.
7. Savage (unregistered)
One word of advice to the researchers at Georgia Tech- PATENT IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN BEFORE ANY STUPID-ASS COMPANY CLAIMS WE THOUGHT OF IT BEFORE.
On the other hand, it's a cool piece of breakthrough. Nice job! Would love it to come in mainstream use.
14. Synack (Posts: 669; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Can't help but think of Apple when the words patent and lawsuit comes to mind.
16. Savage (unregistered)
Naah man, I ain't digging at Apple. I said it because the tech guys invented this so they have a right to patent this. No one else. If any company buys or claims these, we all know what's gonna happen. >.
8. darktranquillity (Posts: 284; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Battery that recharges with movement, battery that recharges in 2 minutes, solar battery......
But none of these gets implemented:-(
9. wendygarett (unregistered)
11. maryaaadil (Posts: 146; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
I think this is a good idea for charging an external battery pack or something like that cause right place for my note is in my pockets.........
12. Seannyc (Posts: 59; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)
I think they created this battery to counter obesity rate in the USA. Maybe now people will exercise XD
13. Stuntman (Posts: 796; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
This is the reason Maxwell Smart has a shoe phone.
17. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
If charging is done through piezoelectricity, then it's the application of manual stress that creates the charging and not movement of walking per se. Its not the movement of walking but the pressure applied on the battery when you step on it that creates the charge.
19. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Come to think of it, I believe we do more sitting than walking. We sit in the office, at school, in cars and school buses, in restaurants and cafeterias, at dinner tables, in front of tv sets at night, or computers, or playing XBox, or doing school work, or watching movies, or just hanging out. Maybe it's more efficient to invent a contraption we can attach to our butts to apply piezoelectricity on the battery when we're sitting! LOL!