See how Sony Xperia Z Ultra's Triluminos display stacks up against the one on the Sony Xperia Z
0. phoneArena 16 Aug 2013, 09:05 posted on
While the Z Ultra's massive diagonal has become a recurring topic, the quality of the display is just as great and a topic of its own...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Wow, that looks gorgeous! Looks like they solved the display issues the Z had and went beyond. I would love to see it in person. Still way too big for me to use as a phone, but man...if the Honami comes with that display and the camera turns out to be as good as rumored. :O
(Also, I like the fact that whoever owns it changed the icons to the osx dock icons. Hehehe)
32. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Ya i have one in hand - C6802 model and it's nothing short of amazing, personally i am ok with the size of this...Once you get used to the size, it's an amazing piece of hardware...with a few cons like the speaker loudness and battery...
33. zoom007 (unregistered)
how did you (Chris P) change the design of onscreen controls/buttons of xperia z ?
2. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7035; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
U guys can complain bout sonys TFT display all you want their display still look great. still sony makes one of the beautiful designs in their phones. I'm going wait till Sept 4th too look at the upcoming HONAMI
10. hung2900 (Posts: 884; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
In fact, IPS or PLS are also TFT, but the XZ's screen is so crap.
I agree that XZU's screen is great, but it looks more great when put beside the crap Xperia Z.
It's like a nice girl look much more beautiful when standing next to a "not good looking" girl.
14. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Let me give you display comparison between S4 vs G Pro vs ZU
tent.com/translate_c?depth=1&h l=id&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl =translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://www.ringhk.c om/report2.php%3Fid%3D6845&usg =ALkJrhjGtSfndxQv9bAwcWu7RiHL8 LV6aQ
23. SonyPS4 (Posts: 308; Member since: 21 May 2013)
From worst display to best display. AMAZING SONY
28. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
The whites on the Z ultra are destroying the other 2 phones. Its literally pure white. (I have a Qnix Q2710 so I can tell much easier than a normal TN monitor)
47. 2bSupriyo (Posts: 4; Member since: 17 Aug 2013)
Z display has improved a lot after recent updates. Its not so bad as shown. I have the Z with the same set of wallpapers. Trust me they do not look like the above. I have checked from various angles:-)
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9840; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Night and day difference is shown in picture #2. Props to Sony for stepping up their game.
4. akki20892 (Posts: 3794; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
this display showing me clearness.......Just Wow
can't wait to see Sony Honami........!!!
5. zoom007 (unregistered)
how did you change the design of onscreen controls/buttons of xperia z ? i am sick n tired of the nexus like buttons which waste my precious real estate.
30. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 226; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
ABSOLUTELY AGREE with you: On-screen buttons Suck: They just waste VALUABLE real estate!
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
What a screen! Triluiminious + Xperia = Awesomeness! Good job, Sony!
Sony always make me believe.
Sony Honami, I'm waiting for ya!
41. _god_ (banned) (Posts: 47; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
You have no money to buy it anyway you spoiled brat xD
Btw , thinking of getting a Sony Vaio Pro 13 , its has Triluiminious display too
8. Finest (Posts: 88; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
i want to see a comparison between the z ultra and S4. to end the war of display. great job by sony "salute"
11. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
you can see its comparison with G2 and S4 here:
9. redmd (Posts: 1036; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Really nice improvement over the XZ. Next, a display comparison with the S4.
18. redmd (Posts: 1036; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
from the link, Google translate said "Galaxy S4 Display Mode: Standard / Xperia Z Ultra X-Reality: on" Not on equal grounds are we.
AS I see it, X-Reality makes the display vivid while loosing some contrast in the process. I think Sony needs to fine tune it a bit.
XZ has the worst display for a flagship device.
20. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I think X-Reality only works in galery and videos.
from this browser comparison i think ZU display is great
31. Chris.P (Posts: 409; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
That is, indeed, correct. X-reality only helps with local media content, e.g. photos and videos on the device's gallery.
It offers no edge when browsing pictures on the web, for example.
22. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
and this what they said about ZU Screen with X-Reality
Z Ultra in TRIUMINOS screen with X-Reality under the overall brightness has improved significantly, in addition to the RGB color rendering also strengthened, with the view of colorful plants and flowers and the like pictures, the effect will be better highlighted it!
▲ landscape photo shows what then? Xperia Z Ultra remaining two display colors with discrepancy is mainly based on X-Reality image enhancement operations.
Photos can be seen, X-Reality still used the first overall brighter image, and then enhance contrast, sharpness, etc., optimized so that the lower half of the island to view photos themselves even more prominent.
26. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I know Xperia Z doesn’t have the best display, but according to displaymate.
In sRGB color gamut Xperia Z have more accurate color than S4 even in movie mode.
Brightness and Contrast is on par with HTC One.
So the only problem with Xperia Z is viewing angle.
12. isprobi (Posts: 386; Member since: 30 May 2011)
The problem with these types of comparisons is if you were not actually there you do not know what the picture on the screen SHOULD look like. More saturated colors usually look better to most people but may be inaccurate. And judging detail is subject to the display and resolution of the device on which you are viewing these pictures.
13. mayur007 (Posts: 508; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
looks really good ultra
more to realistic
No wonder honami screen will be even more gorgeous .. ;)
16. makwasay (Posts: 4; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
i'm not too sure about this and i don't mean to nag but the xperia z seems to be rooted and thus won't it be missing the additions such as the bravia engine and other tweaks that sony put in to make the display look better. yes there are times when rooting can make the screen better (nexus 4 francokernel) but it seems like an unfair test against xperia z and doesn't definitively show how much better the screen is in reality to the stock xperia z
25. Andrewtst (Posts: 478; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Bravia Engine or future X-Reality is only software enhance that only work at Album and Video app. It won't functioning in the home launcher itself.
17. amats69 (Posts: 1238; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Wow nice one sony! So now ill wait for your next flagship with those screen technology..sony xperia zu is so huge for me..
21. SonyPS4 (Posts: 308; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Sony is doing great so far in 2013. Seems Kaz Hirai "One Sony" doing well.
24. Fuego84 (Posts: 312; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Doesn't the xperia z ultra look as if something is behind it tilting the phone upward as to face the camera more directly. Look at the regular xperia and it's image looks flatter and more recline back while the ultra looks straighter.
29. OldNorseBruin (Posts: 226; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
One thing you do notice about ALL of the smartphone manufactures is that they do their best to NOT enable phone buyers to FUTURE-PROOF their phones. No matter how Top-of-the-line their newest phone is their is always at least 1 "spec " that should be improved. Just look at this Z -ULTRA: It's got terrific specs, BUT...it has only an 8 MP camera & NO Flash! Even its antecedent, the Xperia Z has a 13 MP camera WITH FLASH! The obvious conclusion: If you can solidly Future-proof your phone, the manufacturers will be committing suicide; and that is why these companies always stick at least ONE flaw in all of their phones- even their Top-of-the-line phones: M.F.ers!
35. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
I have two word for you: PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE
38. pyradark (Posts: 809; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
when the company gives you future proof phone
then you all brag the price!!
when the company gives you the right phone for a year
then you all brag the specs should be monster!!
geek these days!!!! hahahahaha
thank God normal consumer just buy what they want
34. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Very good, but they should put another phone to compare(like S4 or One) for us to see if the diference is because the new ultra is really good or because the Z screen sucks
37. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
For S4 vs G Pro vs ZU check my post #14
And for ZU vs One you can go here
tent.com/translate_c?depth=1&h l=id&nv=1&rurl=translate.googl e.com&sl=vi&tl=en&u=http://sec afe.vn/threads/106806/&usg=ALk Jrhh8zsaCtJDBiaeK0h03VJkHNpF_5 g
39. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
thanks, it seems ZU screen is slightly better than one, but the winner is still SG4(my opinion and I like amoled)
43. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Yeah if you like oversaturated color Amoled will always be the winner for you, but doesn’t matter wich one you like Triluminos is a great display with wider color gamut than conventional lcd and great viewing angle.
48. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
I´m not saying that ZU screen sucks, I liked it a lot, I´m just saying that I prefer amoled
49. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I think you misunderstand with what i have said.
I really understand what you mean when you say "but the winner still S4 (my opinion and i like amoled)"
36. enzotarece (Posts: 35; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
No matter how sh*t sony Xperia Z is I never miss a single thing on my screen tek dat
40. epicandroid (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Both are bad screens (ZU slightly better).
50. Chris.P (Posts: 409; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Though why, I'll never know. Marketing stuff I guess.
Cheers bud :)
44. R-vjn (Posts: 172; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
amazing improvement from the previous sony displays, but the question is how does the triluminos display of the Z Ultra stack up against the display kings, LG's IPS and Samsung's Amoled's.
Hope to see a comparison soon..!
45. Trex95 (Posts: 685; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Xperia z ultra has one of the best display iv'e ever seen. Even though the black level looks awesome plus the colors looks stunning with X reality engine, the only cons that on screen buttons reduce the screen resolution instead of 1920x1080 on Xperia z ultra you'll get 1824x1080 and 1776x1080 on Xperia z that's why i hate on screen buttons :/
46. ashue (Posts: 28; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
reading this article and watching both my z and z ultra right beside me, i can say this article really sticks to it.... well said, sony has done really massive improvements with z ultra's screen..... hoping honami to come up with much more deadlier looks.... that sure will be my official camera phone....
51. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
finally something goo dfrom sony????!!!!!!!!!!!
52. BooBooooooo (Posts: 56; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
i never expected sony to make giant phone like this. it awesome