Secret Google Map gesture lets you zoom in with one hand
0. phoneArena 01 Apr 2013, 23:36 posted on
Google Maps has a secret gesture that allows you to zoom in using one hand, and it is so easy that even a smartphone neophyte could do it with one hand tied behind his back; have your phone on you with Google Maps loaded? Holding it in one hand, you take your thumb and double tap on the screen and on the second tap hold your finger down and slide up and down on the screen...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MrWilli5 (Posts: 74; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)
actually double tap hold it down then pull out works better
2. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
this one been there for like 4 or 5 months now :D ...this is so old news :P
3. LAKAME_MAN (Posts: 46; Member since: 31 Jan 2013)
Yeah, I read about this a long while ago.
4. Raihanpatel111 (unregistered)
ya....its really working....nice
5. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
looks like Michael F just found out about this "new" feature and in his excitement hes he showed this to his spouse, kids, the dog and the whole internet world
7. p0rkguy (Posts: 684; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
I think Michael was the first to post about this.
6. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I thought this was common knowledge for geeks like us, but it's always good to spread the word.
10. Gwendir (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Not reading the "What's new" section in app updates doesn't make it secret.
11. lyndon420 (Posts: 2704; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Doesn't PA's journalists keep tabs on what each other is covering? This was covered (by PA) awhile ago, and this was Google's fix for apple's pinch to zoom 'patent'. In fact...this gave Google the opportunity to make zooming in even easier. This is one example of a patent forcing others (in this case Google) to make an even better experience for us consumers. Thanks apple...your two fingered approach is sooo last years tech. This is Google's way of giving apple 'the finger' to the way apple does things. (big pun intended)
12. Scorpion (Posts: 103; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
Well I just had an + button there for one hand occasions, but this seems to be cooler.
13. lyndon420 (Posts: 2704; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Of course it's cooler. That + button didn't give you the ability to rotate the screen and change the maps orientation at the same time while zooming.
14. BattleBrat (Posts: 1251; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
You know, I like this better than pinch to zoom!
15. boosook (Posts: 1236; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Secret? LOL! Just because you didn't know, it doesn't mean it's secret! :) It has been introudced some months ago.
19. ilani (Posts: 79; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Are you guys joking? lol, its not new, not even by a few months. This predates pinch and zoom! how do you think zooming was done before pinch and zoom? GEEZ!
20. tasior (Posts: 262; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
It's neither new nor secret. In fact, when actualisation with this feature was installed, google maps informed user, that there is new functionality, when he/she first opened maps after actualisation. This just prooves that people never read what applications try to tell them. As a programmer, I must admit it makes me a little sad.
22. haroonazeem638 (Posts: 132; Member since: 29 Mar 2011)
Its not a secret. It's been out for a while. You can zoom in AND zoom out by using this method. Single tap + swipe up and single tap + swipe down BOTH work