Screen comparison of Sony Xperia Z vs HTC Butterfly shows almost perfect calibration by HTC
0. phoneArena 18 Feb 2013, 05:07 posted on
If you are a screen purist, you will be interested in color calibration, viewing angles and contrast ratings a bit more than whether your mobile screen is HD or Full HD, where, for all practical purposes, the difference is negligible from a normal viewing distance...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Terrible viewing angles on the Z, the HTC One will crush it.
2. Emily1985 (Posts: 127; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
viewing angles i do not care but poor camera
, poor video recording and very poor sound quality i do care.
And yes, higher resolution does not mean better screen or a better camera.
35. timaustin2000 (Posts: 39; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Emily - there's nothing wrong with the camera! Phonearena were just being over-critical. I've done my own tests on it now: While there's nothing "next gen" or revolutionary with the camera on the XZ, neither is it noticably worse than any other high-end phone camera. Indeed, I prefer the saturation and white balance it offers to the competition. People are over-reacting.
9. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Seriously, what's with the viewing angles? Do you not use the phone by looking straight at it? I'm not saying that Z is the best or anything here, I just don't understand people
29. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
You likely have IPS or AMOLED screen on your phone and you'd be surprised how quickly viewing angle issues come up with TFT. You can't always hold the device looking straight at you face, but bigger issues come when it's on the desk, charging pad, bed, docking station, in the car etc., and all of the sudden you look at a low-contrast 441ppi mess and have to pick it up every single time.
We've been treated so well on the viewing angles front that many can't image it being a real issue, yet everybody at CES or picking up the review unit instantly noticed the problem. Don't burn $800 before you are absolutely convinced in the store that it's good enough for you, that's he most sound advice one can give.
42. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Why me? I didn't make those lousy TFT screens hahaha.
49. SleepingOz (unregistered)
a butthurt one..
13. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
and yet, I think iPhone 5 will still crush both phones in any display comparison made by PA. tss.
17. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
no, samsung will. samsung rules here. not iphone.
51. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
do you really want some strangers staring at your phone ?
52. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
if you look at your phone from angles, i suggest you to visit your doctor as fast as possible.
60. harshithh (Posts: 12; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
viewing angles doesnt ply a important role in mobile!!coz nobody gonna operate thier mobile keeping it slant of making it tilt.the just use thier mobile wen the eyes are parallel to screen!!!
3. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
i think it's time for sony to move from TFT to LCD or even OLED.. i know they can make much better screen than the one on the Z.. i have walkman x series mp3 palyer which has an oled screen.. i think their oled screen is pretty good..
36. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
i know it.. maybe i should say super lcd instead just said lcd.. but sometimes sony keep makes me confuse by keep saying TFT while other manufacture already use "LCD" words for their display technology..
46. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
yeah, i think its time to switch over to OLED. I luv deep blacks and saturated colours. sony should put some more muscle in oled display R&D.
64. mobiuspizza (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
Actually, What Xperia Z needs is IGZO screen. With that, the phone is near perfection.
4. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
use Z screen caliberation and get saturation right !
and yeah no htc can crush sony just coz viewing angles are great , Z is just more than specs !
5. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
I agree with this one. That's really a good article there. Somehow, the general biases of phonearena don't manifest when Sony is pitted against Samsung and Apple.
Sony should really improve their displays. What's wrong with this company? I thought they're offering the best of Sony in this smartphone. Makes you cringe at the thought of how good their other products are if the XZ is the best they can offer.
20. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
imean the general biases of phonearena don't manifest when Sony is pitted against HTC or Nokia...
47. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
i agree with u there... i hv to give htc credit over here.
6. lee480 (Posts: 197; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
lol Only people who is not alright will be concerned about screen viewing angles. Unless you are not mentally alright, there is 100% no need to tilt your phone while viewing.
Needless to say, Galaxy S3 cannot even display whites properly. Oddly, PhoneArena is always praising that highly saturated screen.
7. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
as far as i know it turns out the opposite.. phonearena never really like the oversaturated screen of super amoled.. they tend to prefer the more natural one like super lcd or ips screen..
8. lee480 (Posts: 197; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Read the comparison between Xperia Ion and Galaxy S3.
PA said S3's screen got the edge as the screen has punchy colours, compared to the fairly accurate ion.
Anyways PA is anti Sony. Even CNET praises Xperia Z's screen. In fact between CNET, PA and GSMarena, only PA said Sony's camera were not impressive unlike the rest.
11. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
yeah but in other comparison like the s3 vs one x or s3 vs optimus g PA simply prefer the slcd on the one x and the ips on the optimus g..
15. lee480 (Posts: 197; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
This simply shows PA is biased against Sony. They immediately loved the over saturated screen when comparing with Sony.