Scientists continue to test urine as a source of electricity; Gates Foundation provides a grant
In case you were thinking about tinkling over your smartphone, the process isn't that simple. The urine needs to be in contact with a Microbial Fuel Cell, which consists of microbial organisms that break down the urine and turn it into electricity. The process even results in less toxic urine, making it safer to dispose of.
Right now, the one problem that the scientists working on the project have run into, is putting enough of these Fuel Cells together to produce enough electricity. But as the work continues on this project, there is hope that someday, you can charge your phone by recycling that six-pack you consumed earlier.
Tesing continues on the process that turns urine into power
1. The Microbial Fuel Cell breaks down the waste...
2. ...which goes through a series of tubes...
3. ...and is turned into electricity
2. androiphone20 (Posts: 1507; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Taking a piss in the drain will be like a walk in the park, taking a piss to power your toaster while you end up burning your bread to ashes. Kudos to this :P
3. phonemonkey (Posts: 168; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
I should be able to get a grant to turn my exhaust into electricity in my car
whats bill gates number? these genuises got it
4. xq10xa (Posts: 137; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
So when people go to bars, concerts, or clubs......they are going to be able to piss and charge their phones at the same time! Or like.........my car battery died! Hold up let me take a wizz. Nice.
5. GeekMovement (Posts: 1518; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
So... I'm hoping that this as nothing to do with making the handsets smell.
6. darkkjedii (Posts: 12366; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
R. Kelly will sue ovr anything that's gotta do with urine. He currently hold every Pee patent there is.
7. makio9 (Posts: 47; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I'm tall and don't piss much.
That means i have to pay more to eat and make less money from my piss ugh