Samsung's devices are for those who want cheap plastic, says HTC's Mackenzie
0. phoneArena 27 Mar 2014, 20:31 posted on
HTC's president for America, Jason Mackenzie, has every reason to be feeling his oats after the all new HTC One (M8) was unveiled on Tuesday. The phone has already been launched by select carriers in certain markets, beating out the Samsung Galaxy S5, and not too many non iPhone models have ever seen the level of hype that HTC's new flagship achieved, leading up to Tuesday's event...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
23. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Kill confirmed!! Only if they could beat Sammy in sales
140. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
premium phone + still going to use plastic or silicon cover lol
155. ajac09 (Posts: 1480; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Sales just get you profit. Sucks I guess.
49. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Yeah, Ferrari sales is more than Toyota, cheap plastic worshipper
123. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yeah...ferrari and toyota are in same price range....
If you don't like plastic...leave it to us who like plastic for it's practicality...
We are not of those kind who likes to show off...
148. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Plastic is more practical because with plastic removable battery is possible....
And it doesn't interfere with signal...
And scratch or dent...
And helps to make thinner and lighter devices......
I don't care about looks....I'm more concerned about good it is to handle...
154. ajac09 (Posts: 1480; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I think the only kill confirmed is your credibility.
24. downphoenix (Posts: 3149; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Samsung counters with HTC devices are for those who want blurry photos :)
80. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
I bet on, that the MOST of those "aluminum lovers" and "HTC fans" here, are not android users, but apple fans fighting with the biggest Enemy.
And they are active on every tech site pretending to be "android users", or "disappointed Samsung users" craving for aluminum and bashing Samsung.
163. JohnZimmerman (Posts: 15; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if some Apple shareholders went to that extreme.
88. Doakie (Posts: 1854; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Seriously.... I considered switching to the One 2014 from my Note 3 when I thought the One might have a 8.0 MP Ultrapixel with OIS. That would have been enough to get me to come back to HTC. I didn't like how low res the One 2013s pictures were. At this point I would take the Galaxy S5 over the One 2014 because of the camera. And I would choose the Note 3 over the One Max. HTC is honestly putting out some phones with issues.
93. omaianu (unregistered)
Seriously, I don't understand what the big fuss is over phone cameras?? Explain this too me...please. Are you a professional photographer that takes graduation and wedding pictures with your phone? If not, then what do you seriously do with the pics on your phone? Other than look at them on your phone or post them on Facebook, what do you do?
107. magnanimus (Posts: 516; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
If you wanted to choose a phone to buy, why wouldn't you choose last year or last 2 years models. Well, its not like those don't have enough to be your daily driver. the truth is no one wants to make a compromise no matter what. You keep thinking you would end up in a situation where you will regret making a compromise.
119. limporgyuk (Posts: 273; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Omaianu - You literally wrote what I was going to type. Literally. I have a One 2013 and a young daughter so I am taking lots ands lots of pictures with my phone and I have no issues with the camera whatsoever (and that includes printing them out at 8"x6").
130. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1114; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
it's more stupid to say you want aluminium, than having a good camera.
184. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
So you say , we shouldn't make big fuss about camera(huge bezels, size and weight, small battery....) because is "not big thing"
But only the cheap sealed aluminum is THE BIG THING that we should make big buzz about . Right?
102. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You literally wrote what I was going to type. Literally.
134. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
and you literally wrote what I was going to type... :p
for omaianu... mostly people take photos and upload to facebook but there is one very important thing you miserably failed to realize, that is called satisfaction... what a good camera result deliver for example note 3, cant be delivered by old HTC one and new htc one... this satisfaction alone is enough as a deciding factor... there are very less people who will think "what am gonna do with photos? lets dump my money in htc, atleast htc has killer design"...
136. UglyFrank (Posts: 1544; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Nobody would choose the One Max over the Note 3
28. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
I hope Samsung will not answer him.
Does this guy really think, that HTC One M8 is "the best", or he is living in some paralel "aluminum reality"???
""But we're going after a different customer, someone who wants the best."-Jason Mckenzie,"
39. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 237; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
I normally go for plastic as I want zero change off getting electrocuted.
139. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Yeah Dingy_cellar_dweller, US was using m8 to electricute death penelty prisoners before death penelty was banned... since then htc failed to catch traction... :p
Moreover, htc one was used to power rover mission on Mars due to electric emission...
Hey! stop silly reasons... HTC is not dumb enough to make its phone giving charge to users... it passed fcc standards and many more regulatory standards
95. omaianu (unregistered)
Are you paid by Samsung to come on here and bash HTC on every one of their articles? Give it up, dude.
117. threeline (Posts: 267; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
What different customer can there be out there? HTC likes to rip Samsung for gimmicks but there seems to be some on the One 2014. An extra 2mp camera for refocusing shots? How often will that feature be used honesty? I'm not a big camera or picture guy, I do use my phone for pics so when I do take photos I want them to be the highest quality possible for a phone. I think that all phones should atleast have an 8mp camera, I am really not too sure about this ultra-pixel stuff.
147. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
samsung > cheap plastic, but great on specs....
116. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
His name should be Monkey'zee not makenzie bcoz he is doing good ou ou ah ah... sounds like he is obsessed with samsung... come on, shut your mouth, clean your baboon a$s and focus on highlighting your product features... come out of samsung's obsession
135. eq5555 (Posts: 64; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
150. true1984 (Posts: 822; Member since: 23 May 2012)
anandtech says the m8 uses ddr3, not ddr2
133. eq5555 (Posts: 64; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
metal a bad influence on the connection
2. bigdawg23 (Posts: 443; Member since: 25 May 2011)
I would disagree, I had the HTC one for a week. I wasn't impressed with the camera. Personally Sense is not that improved. A user should have the right to disable Blink Feed, it's a waste of screen for some people. I prefer my Note 3. Battery life is much better. The camera is much better(many reviews compare and show that it's true). The signal strength is worse than Samsung and that's not a good thing, Reviews in the HTC one support my opinion.
At the end of the day it's a personal preference. I have a few coworkers that have the One and love it personally it's not for me.
5. camera531 (Posts: 342; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
You can now disable Blinkfeed and the battery life on the M8 is outstanding. I agree that the camera is mediocre, but for most people (like myself), who use the camera primarily for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email & messaging, etc., it's more than adequate.
25. iushnt (Posts: 1482; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
After using note 3, there is no come back and battery
Life won't be better in m8 compared to n3. Regarding camera its not about adequacy but about the value of money. They could have offered better camera which r already available in the market. The main purpose of smartphone is not to have aluminum body ignoring important aspect like camera, reparability.
44. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
But the battery on the M8 IS better than the note 3. See for yourself.http://www.anandtech.com/show/
177. iushnt (Posts: 1482; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Saw the link, impressed by the battery improvement in the m8..it says the main reason for it is the new S801 soc which is more power efficient so waiting for it to be compared with S5 and z2 which share the same soc. Thanks for the info :)
91. sniper1087 (Posts: 499; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
htc will replace your smartphone free of charge if it breaks within 6 months of owning it.
176. iushnt (Posts: 1482; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
And after that? Spend $300++ just for screen repair?
17. robert26101 (Posts: 105; Member since: 21 Mar 2014)
The only part of your opinion the reviews support is the bad camera. Other then that the M8 has good reviews.
26. iushnt (Posts: 1482; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
The only bad review about s5 is its design. Other then that the s5 has great reviews
32. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 520; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
he was talking about the reviews for M7 not M8.
34. robert26101 (Posts: 105; Member since: 21 Mar 2014)
What are you talking about? No one is talking about the M7.
38. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
First of all, is very imprtant - who write the reviews. Most of the reviews on the tech sites are written by apple fans.
Not only the POS camera is weak point there.
HTC M8 is huge and heavy fore 5" phone (same wieght like Note3)
HTC M8 has the smallest battery compare with the competition.
Does't use the best version of S801 , like S5
It's not water and dust proof like Z2 and S5
Have not so good Wi-Fi as S5
HTC One is sealed , easy to dent and in fact non-repair-able. So you MUST HAVE a CASE. Why is this noice about the aluminum, then??
The list can go long.
Not the marketing is the HTC's PROBLEM.
See what this funny guy say:
""But we're going after a different customer, someone who wants the best."-Jason Mckenzie,"
53. true1984 (Posts: 822; Member since: 23 May 2012)
heavy, really? its 15 grams heavier than the s5. the battery lasts longer than the note 3, their antutu score for the processor was 37000+, you're right on the water and dust proofing, you have no clue about the radios since you never used it, htc will repair it for free, the list can go on. it's not the best by a longshot, but camera aside its still a great phone
68. KParks23 (Posts: 579; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
I agree with true.. Fan boys running rampant in here! And there was a torture test the one did amazing and a dunk test it passed also.. The battery life although @ 2600mah is pretty remarkable and the camera is more than enough for almost anyone if the camera is the sole reason ur not getting the phone ur fooling yourself there are better cameras but nothing is on a completely different level stop complaining and get a cybershot then.. My only complaint with the phone is the bezel and 3gig ram would of been nice but not necessary. The one also has a superior screen and UI compared to Sammy amoled and TouchWiz.
74. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"The one also has a superior screen "
You must be joking. Right???
The new tech display on S5 is with brightness from 2 up to 500 nits, and no-reflection. That means THE BEST outdoor display , yet. Plus colorful and hatural color modes. AMOLED means the BEST contrast EVER,
TouchWiz means all the great functions that ppl buy Galaxy for.
78. true1984 (Posts: 822; Member since: 23 May 2012)
"TouchWiz means all the great functions that ppl buy Galaxy for."
i wouldnt go that far. the one has a brighter screen for sure but no phone that uses glass has no reflection. you're looking for the words low or minimum
96. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
I'm " looking for the words" THE BEST OUTDOOR display yet.
Do you understand me now???
104. true1984 (Posts: 822; Member since: 23 May 2012)
yes and this has been proven by...
thats right, absolutely nothing as of yet