Samsung's alleged new smartphone UX appears again - includes tiles and, oh, more tiles
Just like the first time, the new images come from @evleaks. As many may have observed while looking at Samsung’s Magazine UX, there are similarities between it, Flipboard and Windows Phone’s Metro / Modern UI. Apparently, Samsung had a revelation and now believes that a tile-based interface could be better than its good old TouchWiz.
Of course, for now we can’t know if Samsung intends to use this new UX (click on the image to zoom in) on any of its upcoming Android smartphones. This can be just an experiment that the company might not find suitable for non-tablets. Still, Samsung hopefully knows that it needs to change TouchWiz, and it looks like at least it’s trying.
Would current Samsung users like to see something similar to this on next generation Galaxy handsets? Let us know in the comments.
1. Teja171 (unregistered)
Tired of copying Apple. Hey, lets try Microsoft this time.
2. joey_sfb (Posts: 2717; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Nonsense, I would never use metro interface for windows 8. Its ugly and hard to navigate with keyboard and mouse.
On the other hand I use flip board for all my tablet and phone. I have yet to use the magazine interface so I will reserve my judgment till I actually use one.
Getting the note pro 12.2 when its available.
3. Teja171 (unregistered)
Windows 8 was actually meant for Touch Screen devices. U cant use it with a keyboard and mouse, since the UI has mostly touch based gestures -- which a mouse and keyboard can never manipulate it.
6. volcano (Posts: 249; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
what are you talking about I use my windows 8 desktop plus metro apps with my keyboard and mouse without any difficulty its perfectly useable for both touch, keyboard and mouse !
7. pwnarena (Posts: 836; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
don't go that far. windows 8 is optimized for touch controls but you can't say you can't use it with a keyboard and mouse. are you sure you want to use ms word with a virtual keyboard? there's a reason why the surface tablets come with their physical keyboard covers.
24. joey_sfb (Posts: 2717; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
And yet I have limited access to my desktop after upgrading from windows 7 to 8.
M$ is pushing that lousy interface to everything.
45. elitewolverine (Posts: 1324; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Limited access to your desktop? How, click the tile, full desktop.
Start button for things like search, run, and other IT tasks? Right click the start icon, windows icon, that place in the bottom left of your screen.
I some think you have used win7/8 only because a school has it.
52. giani (Posts: 269; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Joey...cut the crap...Windows 8.1 is pretty awesome. You have a perfect blend of touch and productivity (destktop) in the same package. If it would not have been that good you're friends from samsung would not have ripped it off.
Meanwhile.. at samsung HQ R&D department ( the same one where they invest $30 catrillions every week that makes the fanboys weep and wet) : "ok boys...we ripped off apples..that's old now..we need something fresh...something new...of course let's go for microsoft this time. In the S5 camp however : Comon guys...3 months till launch...we need a brand new and exciting name for plastic...coooommmon think."
22. christophersalse (Posts: 98; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
How is this copying Microsoft? This looks more like flipboard to me.
51. Furbal (Posts: 259; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
makes sense since they integrated my magazine into the note 3
33. jcdz89 (Posts: 62; Member since: 01 Mar 2013)
Touchwiz need to be change but not that live tile.
56. rd_nest (Posts: 735; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
MS didn't invent the rectangles, same like Apple.
2nd, MS also didn't invent "flat" interface.
Did you ever look at this --
This is from patent 6,724,403 for which MS has been sued by a company called Surfcast. It was filled way back in 2000.
Contrary to what MS fangirls may think, Bill Gates don't have the right to squares or any other geometric shapes.
Now sleep well..
61. XaErO (Posts: 137; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I think, they are making it something similar to Microsoft's Metro stryle and Blinkfeed.
Between, Anybody noticed the notification icons are in colors and not in white (like in KitKat update) ..
4. volcano (Posts: 249; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
when you can't be creative Copy - SamsungCopyPaste
10. rangaha (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
seems like you need to do some copying
14. volcano (Posts: 249; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
na i can't waste my time i'll give it to Samsung brainless copycat
26. joey_sfb (Posts: 2717; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
You can't even copy and paste correctly. Wasted your time for Samsung. Cause their products continue to fly off the selves.
And damn I have to pay a higher price to get them but it still worth it compare windows rt. They actually beg us to buy at 199 and after my research still don't think is worth the asking price.
34. volcano (Posts: 249; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
it doesn't surprise me if you like purchasing expensive non creative copypasted junk because it has a sticker in the back that says Samsung copycat
its funny when people ask for more from Microsoft but when a product released from a different company that doesn't match there high standards suddenly all their high standards disappear and they are perfectly fine with it
71. deewinc (Posts: 155; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Dude, smoking cold bhang is harmful to your brain. At least boil it.
5. djripster (Posts: 119; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
I see bits of Microsoft's modern UI, some of HTC Sense and nothing new from Samsung as usual :)
11. rangaha (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
but microsoft copied aol and htc copied flipboard
25. hurrycanger (Posts: 934; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Nah, other companies never copy. It's always Samsung who does all the copying.
30. androiphone20 (Posts: 1399; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
First off, I think this new UX is in a league of its own besides getting some cues from the existing ones, we kind off got some hints from the note 3 anyway so this comes to zero surprise to anyone with half a brain. Hate it or love it fans of Samsung devices are going to love this UX cause it is that much better.
27. christophersalse (Posts: 98; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
When they copy, it's okay. But if Samsung makes something that vaguely resembles something else everyone cries.
36. shreyas.s666 (Posts: 80; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
NO. older versions of windows already had tile based system. get your fact. you're just angry samsung fan
70. Liveitup (Posts: 1056; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Microsoft never copied aol, that is nonsense, look up the origins of Live Tiles, HTC blinkfeed copied Windows Phone Tiled based UI, you know this any Windows Phone owner see the similarities and knows this. HTC also copied the panorama UI and the vertical scrolling pattern that Windows Phone introduced.
8. TechGeek2312 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
seems like HTC Blink Feed and MS Modern UI just had a baby, Samsung managed to steal it :/
9. rangaha (banned) (Posts: 86; Member since: 05 Dec 2013)
lol at people saying samsung copying. samsung had tiles since galaxy s2
31. androiphone20 (Posts: 1399; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I wouldn't be quick to 'lol' anyone cause WP featured the Metro UX around '09 to '10, the s2 '11
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7674; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Digging the new UI. Can't wait until it gets officially announced with the S5.
16. GeekMovement (Posts: 1499; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I like that Samsung is trying to change their UI, but I'm going to have to see whether or not I like this one. The images failed to impressed me, but I won't lose hope just yet.
17. miguelmeza14 (Posts: 55; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
I don't about you guys, but to me this looks like Samsung's version of Google Now.
18. kevkyle (Posts: 62; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
Liking it so far.....this might be my first Galaxy S if they get the hardware right", )
....these latest and greatest flagships from OEMs - are getting near damn PERFECT....CHOICES, CHOICES, CHOICES....
...S5, Z2, LG3, HTC One2 (lol).....huawei, lenovo, xiaomi, oppo.....wow
19. christophersalse (Posts: 98; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
And of course the samsung haters arrive like roaches.
48. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7674; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Samsung and Apple attract the most haters because they're successful. It's sad that most users on this site ambush anything that says Samsung or Apple..
20. snowgator (Posts: 3197; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Okay.... sitting alone, but I kinda like what Samsung has done with TouchWiz. No real reason to move away from something that has made you... hmmm, let me get this calculator out....
Mulit-Zillion dollars?? Sound about right?
There is an old bit of wisedom from Bear Bryant in football. Keep doing what is successful until your opponet finds a way to stop you. So far, no one in Andriods camp has found a way to stop them. I see no reason to come off what has worked.
28. kryme (Posts: 136; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
clearly its not samsung vs other androids.... its samsung vs apple... since apple refresh there os its just right that samsung refresh theirs am just hoping the make it lighter... they prolly making it close to tizen
21. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
They should include an option to revert to stock Android.
38. DnB925Art (Posts: 157; Member since: 23 May 2013)
It's called Google Play edition, or install CyanogenMod.
29. Avenger827 (Posts: 46; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Best comment I've seen today @Ant34. touchwiz is laggy as hell on older or midrange devices.
35. Arirank (Posts: 40; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
TouchWiz UX just beautiful but sometimes laggy.coz it has lots customization.. Dont ever compare this to "minimalistic" Sony Xperia UI, :)
39. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 691; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
I like the change in design, but not the Blinkfeed-like homescreen
55. koko1 (Posts: 92; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
Blinkfeed: just brings u news
magasine UX " according to rumors ": bring information's from other category, like s- health, temperature and others !!
63. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 691; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
The problem is, I don't need them at all. It would be good if I could turn them off, but if not, it would be a turn-off for me since it would consume the phone's resources
44. jellmoo (Posts: 648; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Wow... That is probably the first time I have ever heard that. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
62. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
seriously,lg ui features is really great,but the feel and design just so so i prefer 4.4launcher look or wp8 look,simple but stylish
if lg ui feature with 4.4kitkat launcher look or wp8 metro ui look,it will be awesome!
hey!it out of topic already :P .... this article is about samsung haha
43. jellmoo (Posts: 648; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
It's likely only one piece of the overall UI, but so far it's miles ahead of current Touchwiz, so I'll give it a thumbs up.
46. elitewolverine (Posts: 1324; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Love it, people go into MS pages, to diss the tile screen and that live tile updates are no use and just use icons like android.
Then here Samsung goes and revamps their UX/UI to be just like Live Tile integration.
Samsung knows they will sell more androids if they can make people feel like going from a pc to android is easy. It is why people were able to look at a android phone and go oh, hey look, icons, just like my desktop. Now with windows commercials about one experience for all your devices, it is no wonder that Samsung will follow suit to make sure people once again do not feel like it is a big jump to go from a pc to a phone.
Smart? Yes. Copying? of course. MS should be proud imo. Go Samsung.
49. superduper (Posts: 125; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
This has iOS 7 (thin typography, vibrant colors) and Modern UI (tiles) written all over it.
50. techloverNYC (Posts: 386; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
This is exactly why my next phones gon be Samsung. They just copy the best or the niche spec from every company and put it on their phone calling it "innovation". Current rumors include: Iphone 5s like finger print scanner,HTC one dualspeaker and metal body, Sony's phones waterproof and dust proof body and now finally Microsoft inspired tiles. Whats next Nokia's camera? I know this gonna be a beast phone but cmon.....