Samsung's "It doesn't take a genius" ad parodied by Apple iPhone supporters
0. phoneArena 16 Sep 2012, 10:20 posted on
Samsung's new ad comparing the features on its flagship Samsung Galaxy S III with those on the Apple iPhone 5 has touched a chord among Apple iPhone fans who have responded with some parodies of the Samsung ad...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
27. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
What was demoed in the presentation? How did you edit the comment though?
19. protozeloz (Posts: 5326; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
trying to mimic Google maps features with a flashy name like retina to make it sound like new stuff
6. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
so those who made the parodies are not really knowledgeable about s3 and even their own iPhone 5. :))
quad core CPU? wow, did samsung missed that out?
720p front facing camera. Yup because apple have a 1.3 MP front facng camera while s3 has 1.9.
Passbook? Does it really have one? o_O
8. sorcio46 (Posts: 392; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
First one on the left is total biased, most of that iP5 features are available on SGS3, try again iFanboy :D !
9. e.wvu (unregistered)
Well they forgot that out of 700,000 of those apps, 250,000 apps are for the iPad. Idiots.
112. nwright94 (unregistered)
The iPad app number is a stand alone number, not subtracted from the 700k.
11. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
Still would take a more functional phone over the iPhone ... function over form.
38. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 239; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I second that. The iPhone just isn't as functional enough for me. I like having widgets to give me information or to toggle setting without having to open an app to do that.
145. fuckandroid (banned) (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
Can you please suggest any functionality that can really be added to iphone ? Do you need it to give a coffee or massage ?
12. hung2900 (Posts: 714; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Many fanboys think that the every function they have on their ic@ps is the only one/invented by Apple=))=)) Even Panorama=))=))
29. -box- (Posts: 3566; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I was at a wedding and did a panorama globe sweep (Photosynth) with my Lumia 900. Three iphoners (and someone toting an old RAZR flip phone) asked me what camera I was using, and were floored when I told them that the pretty blue device in my hand was a Lumia 900, and if they liked it they should wait for a 920. Of the iphoners, one declined though commented on how they liked the screen size, one said he would return his iphone5 preorder, and the last said she had no idea phones could do that, and referenced the Sony camera that could do panorama sweeps from a few years ago (apparently there was an ad with some pop starlet for it?) and asked if she could play with it. I let her, and she was genuinely impressed. She was even more impressed when she accidentally dropped ot mid-turn, and when it hit the marble floor it didn't take any damage. She showed me her iphone4 with a shattered back and dented & scratched metal band (she had it in a case now) and described that it had taken a fall from similar height which caused the damage. During this conversation my wife came over and demonstrated the camera capabilities of her HTC Sensation. The girl hadn't realized how many other choices there were, and had just bought an iphone4 because she wasn't aware of other phones being able to message and browse the web. Ugh.
TL;DR: real iphoners, when presented with an actual competitor product and not speaking from their mom's basement, are able to see its grave inferiorities and deficiencies
55. networkdood (Posts: 5517; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Great post - when people see what other phones can do - why buy an iphone?
100. LionStone (Posts: 434; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
When there is no limit to what Droid gets...there is no limit to what Droid Does!! :-) Fact.
146. fuckandroid (banned) (Posts: 5; Member since: 17 Sep 2012)
Maybe you are right my frendoid, but remember that everything nowday smartphones have were invented by apple. Keep that in mind and spend your time on something more important.
13. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
People may consider the Samsung advert a little unprofessional as they knew it'd cause this sort of reaction, but at least they only printed facts and didn't blatantly lie.
26. BREvenson (Posts: 190; Member since: 17 May 2012)
It may be unprofessional, but I think Samsung has every reason to stick it to Apple for what they have been put through. Besides, it's not uncommon to see rival companies use these kinds of ads and publicity to put down the other guy. It's called competition, something that Apple apparently doesn't know about. Their idea of competition involves lawsuits and claiming unoriginal technology as their own, with every court victory being another slap in the face of technology evolution. Apple is doing nothing new with this iPhone that hasn't already been done by other manufacturers.
As for the parody ad, it is indeed a joke. Most of those features (video chat, panoramic camera, free OS updates,,,seriously?) are on every other big smartphone out there, so obviously this is a pathetic attempt to put down the superior GSIII. If this is an idea of what the average intelligence of iPhone users is, I really do pity the future...
59. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
it really isnt unncommon for rivals to do what samsung did, because even politics do these things when running for president....and like timtimity said above, at least samsung didnt lie they only stated facts!
14. protozeloz (Posts: 5326; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
lol fail parody they should do better than that
15. abdane (Posts: 471; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Quad-Core CPU: its dual core!
720p front screen camera: GS3 also 720p front camera.
iCloud: Google Cloud.
Shared Photo Stream: AllShare Play
Panorama : There is Panorama on GS3, the nokia 5800 xpress music had it way back then !
700,000 apps: 250,000 are for iPad, which makes it 450,000 for iphones Vs 650,000 apps on android ( Phones )
Passbook: Google Wallet.
Free OS Updates Annually: Free Open Source OS, Freedom, until now have latest updates, IF it didnt, just root it ;)
Facetime: Video Call ?
All-New Maps with FlyOver: Google Maps have it, and it also have street view ;)
Airplay: AllShare Cast.
Sleek And Durable Aluminum Back: You can buy and replace your cover with an Aluminum one from Ebay with just $7.
Game Center: Game Hub, for Samsung phones, and rumors say Google may launch its own game center.
iMessage: ChatON, Whatsapp, Viber, etc...
21. protozeloz (Posts: 5326; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
don't forget Google talk or messenger with G+
71. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6623; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I seriously hope you were just trolling and not being serious.
115. Aeires (unregistered)
24. StreetNerd (Posts: 699; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
look how many iSheeps voted this poll
30. redmd (Posts: 786; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Quad core? ! don't you think Apple will have had hyped that out if that were true?
34. nokianalltheway (Posts: 5; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
lumia 920 will smoke both of you out....
35. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
This will actually spawn a war now. As if there isn't enough already.
41. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5282; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I wonder how long before the parodies of the iP5 ads start? This is going to be a fun 4th quarter!
82. Savage (Posts: 431; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
There are enough on youtube already. Each one mocking the iPhone 5 in its own way.
42. putes (Posts: 37; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
So the Applephiles known to overpaid for old technology just to be hip are left to battle with parodies instead of facts. That's so sad.
45. taz89 (Posts: 1946; Member since: 03 May 2011)
lol if you going to do a parody then at least do it right.
47. Nikolas.Oliver (Posts: 1340; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
apple and samsung please stop fighting, both of you are better than BLACKBERRY!!
138. Nikolas.Oliver (Posts: 1340; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
but apple and samsung are better than BB
48. speckledapple (Posts: 877; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
This war between members loyal to each OS is startling at best. I am curious as to whether things will ever change.
53. Fuego84 (Posts: 250; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Oh phonearena why didn't you address the errors on the iPhone supporters ad why?
54. Fuego84 (Posts: 250; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Oh phonearena why didn't you address the errors on the iPhone supporters ad why?
56. raphael007 (Posts: 43; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Why would they compare those two phones I do not even know.
How can you compare a super phone with well just a phone IPHONE
I have the galaxy S3 and man I don't think the iphone7 will have these features. The next big thing is already here. Apple said it themselves "THE BIGGEST THING TO HAPPEN TO IPHONE SINCE THE IPHONE".
63. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
hahahahah exactly!...........and that isnt really a big change when comparing the changes, or should i say "improvements" android is constantly going through....
60. enigmaticflare (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Here is another parody.
67. Sniggly (Posts: 6490; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Nice self promotion. Without going too much into detail, fyi: tests by reviewers said that S Voice actually works better than Siri, not the other way around.
65. Sniggly (Posts: 6490; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Hilarious how the parody makers obviously had no clue what they were talking about. The iPhone 5 costs even less to make than the 4S, at least in parts. The feature bulls**t was already covered by others.
68. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Both iFans and Android fans wake up. What sort of s... you talking about when you say iPhone is good only in design.
What design? That squared brick? With a big physical home button at the bottom of the screen?
The phones are coming without any physical buttons and edge to edge screen.
For me Nokia lumia was great design.
Even S2 nice slim phone with big screen and minimum of a bezel.
But never iPhone.
69. bomariam1 (Posts: 30; Member since: 08 May 2012)
Now I know why they say love is blind.
Good luck with having the headset connector way below.
72. kick413 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
loll even when the phones are compared by iphone fans the s3 is still better
73. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Btw. Don't you Android fans still get it that you basically trying to have fight here with 12 years old kids?
Why would I be wasting my time for that?
76. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
all these ads (if you call the apple's supporters' as ads) is just a free promo for the iphone 5. seriously apple should thank samsung for including the iphone on the latter's own print ad. it's not everyday that a product is being promoted for free by it's own competitor.
77. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Of course you value very much free upgrades of your ios when you are used to pay for everything. Adaptor, new cables, accessories....
When I bought phone (not iPhone) all the accessories and adaptors came with a box. So for me free updates are something I don't even think about.
85. Grishm (Posts: 52; Member since: 18 May 2012)
Not sure if people hate iPhone 'cause they are sick of Apple's suing antics or 'cause they don't really like iPhone.
Also do people hate the iOS compared to Android or the phone build too?
91. rusticguy (Posts: 2811; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Personally i don't like anything that restricts my freedom and forces me to do certain things a particular way (how to hold a phone/tab for example, forces me to pay huge preimium between 16/32/64 GB models and doesn't allow me a sdcard, forces me to put my data hostage over cloud for some corporation to charge ransome to keep the data active or i lose it in case i don;t pay the recurring ransom ... and so on )
89. garz_pa (Posts: 152; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Some of the iP5's features are already sported by GSII.. Nothing's really new about the iPhone but the materials.
90. rusticguy (Posts: 2811; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Ok so how does Aluminium on back cover help? I expect an intelligent answer and not some stupid rhetoric ... why did Apple has it's head up @rs3 for all these years if Aluminium is/was so good ...
97. trunkmonkey (Posts: 6; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
Not sure why they chose aluminium, probably to look like a Mac Book. Probably the big reason why the iPhone 5 still does not have NFC.Metal and NFC do not mix.