Samsung's 3G-smartwatch to be called Gear Solo?
Earlier, we passed along a rumor that Samsung is considering a 3G-connected version of its Gear 2 smart-watch, which will offer standalone calling capabilities. Now, the Korean Herald reports that the alleged device, equipped with a USIM module, is going to be called the Samsung Gear Solo. The name has been filed for patent with the Korean Intellectual Property Office, and the company and fellow South Korean telecom SK Telecom are going to release it together in their homeland. An SK representative said that the model could make a global appearance as well.
There's little else known about the upcoming smart-watch. Do you feel interested in the ability to make calls from your wrist? Are they going to be audible enough? It's an interesting development for sure, and we're curios where the smart-watch industry is going with the smartphone capabilities.
source: Korea Herald
1. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 462; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I'm sure in the next year they will also release dual-sim 3G smartwatch.
2. shuaibhere (Posts: 1297; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I dunno it's joke or not...but that really made me laugh....
3. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 462; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I'm serious, it's not a joke, it's Samsung. They always try something innovative and fresh but not in smartphone design.
4. MacWiNux (Posts: 59; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
soon it will be Galaxy Gear Beam (galaxy beam) that can project your screen to walls
5. dbdrummer88 (Posts: 28; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Solo, another meaning for one person, or ONE. What is with all the "1" or "one" in technology names these last few months? It really doesn't make much sense. If a company wants to reinvent a brand or draw new customers, make the product better, do not call it "1".
8. hurrycanger (Posts: 957; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
If it's really called Solo, it's definitely because it doesn't need to pair with any device. ;)
It's a standalone Galaxy Gear.
6. hurrycanger (Posts: 957; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Nice. I don't think there is any good solo smartwatch in existence yet.
The one thing I'm afraid to see is the price tag... -__-
9. UglyFrank (Posts: 366; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Finally a worthy sequel to 2009's Samsung S9110
11. techloverNYC (Posts: 386; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
The only thing solo about it is that theres only gonna be that one guy who wears it.
13. fuelband (Posts: 22; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
This? Or Moto 360? Standalone or paired? Hmmmnnn..choices, choices...
17. lamnpt (Posts: 6; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
In my opinion, the most important thing is SS have to solve the battery problem. I dont want to use a watch with everyday charging.
18. mixedfish (Posts: 78; Member since: 17 Nov 2013)
Isn't that what you do on a mobile phone anyway.
19. Killua (Posts: 258; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
Why solo? Sounds pretty lame. I don't really like the concept either, making it 3g-capable is pretty overkill in my opinion.