Samsung used low cost chip for Samsung GALAXY Nexus
0. phoneArena 07 Feb 2012, 21:07 posted on
A breakdown of the Samsung GALAXY Nexus reveals that the Korean manufacturer used a cheaper LTE baseband chip that has the same high speed data performance as the higher priced older model; the cheaper chip costs half of the more expensive model's $23...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. aztaxia12295 (Posts: 262; Member since: 22 Nov 2009)
thats a very interesting report...
MY NEXUS IS COMING TOMORROW I CANT WAIT!!!
18. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Don't worry, you'll keep waiting on the Galaxy Nexus to lock in on a signal. ZING!
27. SleepingOz (Posts: 2012; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
you keep mistaking the GNexus for your iphone 4 with antennagate, how lame!
30. bigdawg23 (Posts: 268; Member since: 25 May 2011)
I had an iPhone 4 with ZERO issues. My Samsung Skyrocket dropped more calls.
Its not always the phone, it is the network or even just the area you are in.
33. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Course, Android fans will as usual, deny it.
32. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Oh look, bitterness, pure bitterness lol. Guess 12 people(and counting) couldn't handle the truth about the GNEX not being able to lock onto an LTE signal let along a signal period.
36. shayan (Posts: 124; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
I wouldnt have any problem with apple if idiots like you werent ruining fans name...
5. theBankRobber (Posts: 631; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Yes I agree, customers won't get any kind of discount because of this. Its all about profit. Just look at how Apple over charges for their iPhones vs what they actually cost.
6. sgogeta4 (Posts: 372; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
It's expensive because it gets taxed by Apple to help subsidize their phones. If Apple didn't have any subsidizing, Android phones would be cheaper and their iPhone would be more expensive.
8. bossmt_2 (Posts: 401; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
The phone is the same price as the same memory iPhone 4s, with a much bigger screen that's HD, a faster processor, more RAM, worse rear camera though a higher MP front facing camer, a barometer, and of course LTE. It's not "too high" it's just right.
10. PAPINYC (Posts: 1834; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I agree, you're limited to 32 GB on-board memory; really less because you have to adjust for formatting and the memory reserved for OS and operation. Then, this: inferior chipset. Not to mention all the reported bugs and the much expressed disappointment in the rear camera. This is a sad day for Android and, basically, GN owners have iPhonez (after all)??????......
15. belovedson (Posts: 807; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
if you upgrade the screen size and make it high rez the iphone 4s would definitely not be as quick as it is on benchmarks compared to the android.
however i believe android is far superior tech wise i mean the iphone 4s without the os is inferior in every way now compared to the latest and greatest android.
the point and click style camera function of the 4s isn't always beneficial especially to people with a background in taking pics.
off course the noobiness of alot of apple users wouldn't be able to tell a difference between a shot from a 4s and a dslr especially if you consider the retarded journaling and dslr and 4s comparison this site tends to throw up
16. sgogeta4 (Posts: 372; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
Are you retarded or did you just not read the article and have never actually used the GN?
4. AndroidShiz (Posts: 144; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
Got one around launch from Amazon for 150 when Verizon was at $300, now they're 99 on the Am. Not sure why everyone isn't buying all their cellphones from Amazon?
13. Sniggly (Posts: 6199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
because after sales support is a pain in the ass?
29. PAPINYC (Posts: 1834; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
What sales support?? Amazon has sales support?
I buy all my phones directly from Verizon (or, Craigslist).
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5427; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
OMAP4460 on par with the 4210? interesting...
11. tyguy829 (Posts: 24; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
I knew it! I strongly disagree with the report saying that the performance is on par. I've had nothing but trouble with my nexus as far as signal strength and data speeds go. I can put a droid bionic right next to it with -100 dbm and my nexus won't get 4g at all. It really is a big difference. Depressing knowing it is hardware difference and not a software bug.... :(
17. sgogeta4 (Posts: 372; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
What city? In NYC, the Nexus has much better connection than my Moto Droid, HTC Thunderbolt, and Moto Razr.
24. erratic (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Feb 2012)
You're an idiot. -100dbm? You have nearly no signal...and then you compare a different phone and say it doesn't get signal at all? -100dbm is near no signal at all as it is... Why don't you get in a better signal area, and test them both. No matter what your GN says, it will still surpase the quality of the call of the phone it is compared to. As far a software bug and not hardware if there is an issue...that is where you are wrong too. They create hardware and implement it after testing. It is the software that is suppose to take advantage of what it offers. If it doesn't, then the software for the radio can be updated to fix any issues.
20. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Samsung using a low quality chip. Next thing you know, they're going to tell me the sky is blue.
22. Sniggly (Posts: 6199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Low cost doesn't always equal low quality. Just ask the iPhone 4S, the most profitable iPhone yet.
47. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Everything on the 4S is high quality, unlike something on a Motorola device.
50. Sniggly (Posts: 6199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
And you make that statement based on...what, exactly?
51. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5427; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
that was such an obvious provocation Sniggs. you're so easy.
57. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
He just wants me to play with him, that's all.
60. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5427; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, we all know what happens when you two "play". ;P
62. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
I don't know what you mean? I throw the ball, he fetches it.
64. Sniggly (Posts: 6199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
You mean knowledge of one personal experience? Next you'll be telling me that God exists because you saw Jesus's face in a toaster reflection.
65. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Oh now you're getting really personal now. You're trying to bring religion into it. Not my fault if Motorola isn't blessed with phones that actually work.
P.S. PA better call the fire depot because someone just got burned.
67. Sniggly (Posts: 6199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
If you consider that a burn, then you must have the worst sense of insults ever.
And you just did it again: you made a statement meant to be interpreted as fact, which is simply your own opinion, which is based on incredibly narrow experience.
69. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Better than what you can come up with.
You're the only one who's being narrow minded here.
71. Sniggly (Posts: 6199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
How am I being narrow minded? This ought to be good.
73. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Because you're so one sided with how much you love Motorola that you're blind to anything anyone says except what you say.
77. Sniggly (Posts: 6199; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Once again you're wrong. I even have my own complaints about Motorola, and if someone else has a LEGITIMATE ISSUE I'm willing to listen.
Where I have a problem is when someone comes in and says "durr hurr, no Motorola phone ever works!" when I have four examples which prove those people (I.e. YOU) completely wrong. Four phones, two of which are being actively used and two which are ready to be used should they be needed.
Now who's on his high horse? You think that owning one phone makes your experience definitive ? Think again.
26. xray174 (Posts: 85; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
go read a book if u have nothing else to say
28. willardcw4 (Posts: 169; Member since: 01 Oct 2011)
How come The_Miz hasn't been banned? 95% of the things you say are completely inaccurate (with the information contradicting you in the post you're commenting on or ones before it)... I understand you prefer iPhones, but seriously, troll less.
45. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5427; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I wouldn't say that too loudly, a lot of Apple's "chips" come from Samsung. :P