Samsung trashed more than a football field of glass to make the HD Super AMOLED screen on the Galaxy Nexus
0. phoneArena 06 Dec 2011, 08:20 posted on
6600 square meters of glass substrate went into the trash bin until Samsung's researchers managed to pierce 720x1280 pixels in the 4.65" display on the Galaxy Nexus phone with HD Super AMOLED...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i bet corning was happy about all those replacement orders.. lol
11. justinjudy1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
Corning didn't make the glass for the Galaxy Nexus?
13. ph00ny (Posts: 791; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Corning? You mean Samsung-Corning?
Yup. They have a joint company together
2. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
all i can say is... wow.... so much money of sammy is being put to good use for the better of the consumers... unlike apple who keeps on suing them...
3. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
6. ChafedBanana (Posts: 365; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
@remixfa: Whoever said the SGN would have Gorilla Glass? Has this been confirmed?
9. abdane (Posts: 491; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
it has a better glas sthan the gorilla, and samsung are afraid the gorilla glass will be silly now XP
10. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
It has been confirmed that the Nexus has reinforced glass that is supposedly equivalent to Gorilla Glass.
15. McLTE (Posts: 757; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
exactly.. like car companies crashing and destroying car after gorgeous car in the name of testing and safety!
Love where Sammy is going though.. keep it up!! :)
8. hunted (Posts: 403; Member since: 21 Sep 2011)
Samsung is going to be a nightmare company for others
20. harsh_732006 (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
u are a moron...y abuse iphone on a samsung article
17. bigdawg23 (Posts: 417; Member since: 25 May 2011)
If they can survive a drop it doesn't matter. I have the Skyrocket and it fell screen down from about a foot on to a hard linoleum floor and cracked the screed. I was stunned as usually it takes the corner drop to bust it.
19. TalkingTechy (Posts: 97; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Ouch!! That sucks bigdawg23!
I guess your Skyrocket dropping experience coincides with Phone Arena's review; their test Skyrocket accumulated scratches just from putting the phone in their pocket and taking it out.
Gotta believe the original S GSII used different and stronger glass.
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
But still SUPER AMOLED Is a prettier screen than RETINA DISPLAY
23. cheetah2k (Posts: 1177; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Richer colours, deeper blacks, lower power consumption. Its a win-win all round for SAMOLED screens vs SLCD
24. TalkingTechy (Posts: 97; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Small correction: SAMOLED is only better power consumption if it mostly shows the color "black," which implies that particular set of OLEDs is off.
If comparing all white screens on SAMOLED and LCD displays, LCD wins the low-power consumption award.