Samsung tops Apple on the Fortune 500 list, but is far less profitable
0. phoneArena 09 Jul 2013, 09:45 posted on
It's that time of the year for Fortune – it just released its annual Global 500 list of companies ranked by revenue for the Q1 2012/Q1 2013 period...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6803; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Bout damn time fourtune now sees a TRUE PHONE. GALAXY S IV.
3. rantao333 (Posts: 288; Member since: 21 May 2013)
samsung had more revenues than apple frm recorded 2005 until now, nothing to do wif better phone.
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9071; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You do know Samsung sells other products other than phones such as washers, TVs, appliances, etc. right?
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 13388; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Smurf, gadget had no idea Samsung sold other products, until you told him. He thinks Samsung only makes galaxy's. Matter of fact he thinks our own Milky Way Galaxy was made by Samsung, 13,000,000,000 years ago.
21. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Yes, taking those rankings into account, it's kind of not right having Apple on "the bottom"
2. rantao333 (Posts: 288; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Lol, it doesn't relate to TRUE PHONE, samsung dealing with various of business, there is no surprise it will be bigger than APPLE in terms of revenues.
and it doesn't prove which phone is better than the others.
to be exact,samsung has more revenues than apple as always, there is nothing special.,
4. Commentator (Posts: 2559; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Apple earns $50 billion more in revenue over the previous year. Somehow I'm not buying into the rumors of their imminent demise...
5. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Damn iHate it when people DEFEND apple's profit margins?! Hello, the consumers are the victims of these huge, ridiculous margins and is the reason for Apples steady decline and eventual mediocrity...
Only hardcore appleites back Apple products without discontent. Most people are seeing the true colors of apple. Less for considerably more. Where as buying elsewhere gets you more for less (SOP for 95% of the world).
Apple as a top tier computer company did well for what they were. As a consumer electronics company apple is near useless lol and consumers are slowly ableit steadily now realizing this
7. rantao333 (Posts: 288; Member since: 21 May 2013)
so basically u buy the ideas of processor, ram, camera MP, bigger screen, etc and perhaps most users brag about, customization.
and u dont buy the ideas of users experiences, feeling, quality, supports, services etc.
9. androidfanboy (Posts: 162; Member since: 24 Jun 2013)
That's the dumbest comment I have ever seen
10. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
experiences? for what, all 3 products they put out? and two are just bigger and smaller versions of iPhone? They have ridiculous margins on 3 products. 3! iPhone, great product. iPad, a big iPhone, expensive, good product, did i mention expensive. Never seen a price reduction after 4 releases (in 3 years). Still $5-800? lol iPod, replaced by iPhone and all smartphones except for kids. iOS7 best looking os for teenage girls everywhere! Jobs would never of allowed iOS7! Mac, nice hardware and software, should be expensive, not a consumer product, relegated to snobby appleites and rich people everywhere
Great limit yourself to all apple-only experiences. As far as I am concerned once you go apple, you are stuck in their world paying their prices because none of their iCrap works nicely with anything non apple. Does sound like a great experience at top tier pricing and completely limited options!!!
12. rantao333 (Posts: 288; Member since: 21 May 2013)
you have too much hate and start comment irrationally
1. u hate the existence of tablet, mini tablet together with a phone
2. u start projected ur own perceptions into others (... for kids, ios7 for teenager...)
3. u start assuming ( Great limit yourself to all apple-only experiences. As far....)
13. greathero1 (Posts: 505; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
The market dictates what is an acceptable price for any product and obviously the market finds the prices for the iPad to be acceptable because they sell quite well. Their margins are not ridiculous because if the consumers felt Apple products were overpriced then they would not buy them. Blame marketing or whatever but all companies want to be in Apple's shoes on this metric and if they could, they would do the exact same thing.
As for being stuck with Apple products, that is complete BS. Android is my choice for cell phones and I don't EVER see that changing in the immediate future but the iPad is my choice for tablet and I don't see that changing anytime soon either.
The big question is why are you letting yourself get so worked up? You talking about teenage girls but your acting like one, moody and b*t*hy lol! Calm down man. It's just electronics.
18. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
You shouldn't have to pay as much as Apple is charging to get those qualities.
33. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1315; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Maybe that's true, but the fact is, right now, you do.
8. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I love to work on Macs, no other company has offered such a polished device. I dont mind paying those extra bucks as you say it ,for a good experience.
As far as phones are concerned, Note 2 rules!
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9071; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Working on a Mac offers a better experience than working on a PC. Some software isn't comparable, but that's where you can run W7 on W8 through Boot Camp.
22. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
They have every right to defend Apple's profit margin, or lack thereof, they need to validate and reaffirm their own distorted Apple beliefs, as contrived as they may be.
30. stealthd (Posts: 986; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
"or lack thereof"
I see your contrived ramblings continue
14. bittertruth247 (Posts: 31; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Since I hate Apple and love Samsung, I'll throw in my 2 cents-Apple owes about half their revenue to Samsung considering it's well know public knowledge that Samsung made about 22% of the Iphone's internal parts for over 3 years before Samsung started focusing on their own high end galaxy smartphone line so technically, if you bought an Iphone 3, 3GS, 4 or 4S, you were buying a part-Samsung phone! You're welcome Apple!
15. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Market Share is more important than profit share, even Steve Jobs believed this.
Steve Jobs on Apple's downfall:
"They made outlandish profits for about four years. What this cost them was their future. What they should have been doing is making rational profits and going for market share."
31. stealthd (Posts: 986; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Steve Jobs never believed that. Apple's business model has never been about dominating in market share. I mean what kind of crack are you smoking? Do you think there's some meeting of the board of directors where they all agree "yeah I'd really rather make less money and have more market share"?
17. jellmoo (Posts: 725; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Just a random thought: Maybe Samsung would have a higher profit margin if they didn't try and release 439 different phones each year. The R&D cost alone must be staggering.
Like Apple or hate them, but their smaller sku of products is what is helping them rake in the profits. The question is, with the heavy rumours regarding a cheaper iPhone, are they going to start branching out more and more into the lower tier of devices all around?
20. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Most of Samsung's multitude are slight variants, don't require a ton of R&D as a result. Apple's massive profits are from a few reasons. One thing they do is strong arm the supply chain and demand lowest component pricing as possible. They also overprice a lot of their parts to the consumers, charging them $100 for an extra 16 gig of memory but only paying less than $7 for it themselves. People pay extra prices because they buy into the quality Apple preaches, even though it may not be as great as the marketing portrays. Don't believe so, read the comments in this article.
32. ph00ny (Posts: 606; Member since: 26 May 2011)
They do however spend a ludicrous amount of money in R&D to stay competitive in manufacturing capacity and technology in number of components. DRAM, Display panels, SoCs, etc
24. nasznjoka (Posts: 369; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
where is NOKIA??????????????????????????????????
27. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Contemplating what else is left to sell off to pay salaries to Elop and Co?
25. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Surprised that Apple's LOOT (call it criminally high profit mrgin) is held in such a high esteem.
28. greathero1 (Posts: 505; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Criminally? Lol! Smdh! You guys crack me up.
34. gigaraga (Posts: 1384; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Take that all you Samsung haters! This company is this strongest and has the best handsets!