Samsung to use cheapo MediaTek processors for 2014 phones
5. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
This is mediatek for low end tizen phones i would assume. Unlike cheapo HTC putting S4 Pros in their One Max
14. ThinkAgain (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Samsung is already making a lot of money per phone (atleast the high end ones), infact they are making more than Apple per phone in some cases. Why cheap Mediatek now? They have their foundries.
29. ghaniosman (Posts: 69; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
they r using just for mid range or low range smartphones not for flagships
16. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
go spam useless comments elsewhere or next time say something productive
25. skyline88 (Posts: 410; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
butthurt ifax are not allowed in forums where all adults are discussing serious matters, please go to bed now kiddo.
2. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 950; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
This should be worrying to Qualcomm as Samsung used its chips like the Snapdragon 400 in some mid rangers e.g. S4 Mini, which are big sellers.
MediaTek is about to be Qualcomm's biggest problem, 2014 is going to be very interesting.
4. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
..... i doubt mediatek is going to be much of a threat to Qualcomm in the high end department though where galaxy S and note series sell millions
6. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
mediatek threat is real to low and mid range competitors
coz m using qmobile a900 with quad core mediatek cortex a7
but this thing is really smooth
21. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
m telling him qmobile a900 processor is good enough to run phone smooth and its a real threat to low and mid end competitors
12. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Intel is the major threat to qualcomm. We are about to see CPU Wars 2.0 between arm and intel over the upcoming years to see who can squeeze the most power while being power efficient. Intel's baytrail is winning right now but its not released yet so it doesn't count yet.
These chips are as good as low end laptop chips.
17. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Shatter it's still no way near the A53 A57 SOCs! They destroy the Baytrails! Even the Exynos 5420 is on par with it, let alone you still have their mighty E5450
19. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
oh yeah, thanx, how can we forget chipzilla. cant wait for smartphones to rech PC like processing power :)
9. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1477; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Mediatek is only an issue for Qualcomm in the LOW range.
They only have one decent chipset and I'm not sure if ti has been implemented in any device: MT8135.
All the rest of their offer has less power than the old Tegra 3. That can't be called "midrange" in my opinion.
13. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I think samsung is the one who should worry, because there are no other major OEMs who are interested to use Exynos.
28. Ronny666 (Posts: 108; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
You must have been living in a cave for very long time.
Lenovo and Xiaomi uses Exynos chipsets and they are not small companies.
3. cezarepc (Posts: 674; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Currently using a Mediatek device and performance is above average for mid-range... while priced in the low-range.
7. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3642; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
This would give many affordable options from Sammy. Sony's Xperia C already uses 1.2 GHz quad-core MediaTek processor which costs around Rs. 20,000/- ($325) in India.
8. jeevan28111992 (Posts: 23; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Ha...I think Samsung is ready to abandon it's Touchwiz Ui...It's totally laggy in galaxy grand...Now we'll see how it works with mediatek...
10. taikucing (unregistered)
lol. This is stupid. Qualcomm S4 chips are cheaper now. Wait until angry customers complain about the stupid GPS inside mediatek crap.
11. cezarepc (Posts: 674; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Well true. Quad-S4 play with Adreno 203 performs better than the A7-quad from Mediatek but only slightly. And Mediatek's price is still lower.
27. WindowsiDroid (Posts: 127; Member since: 22 Jul 2013)
But Meditek Quad uses PowerVR 544MP which is more powerful than Adreno 203, I am Using S4 and low-end that uses Mediatek and it is really good but sometimes it does lag.
18. KiranPAUSER (Posts: 73; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Nobody want high end phones with high price tag but high end phones with low price tag. So mediatek is the biggest rival to all other over the coming decade.
22. Rongocook (Posts: 76; Member since: 20 Sep 2013)
Tegra 5 is a win win next year when it comes to power.
23. Cyberchum (Posts: 604; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Why do we like to diss what we are ignorant of??? Mediatek is a good option for low cost phones, use them before bashing then.
24. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Misread the article post recanted. LoL
26. flamencoguy (Posts: 107; Member since: 04 Aug 2012)
They have good price/performance ratios. They will help to keep costs down. And they will even have an octa-core SoC out by this year