Samsung to offer phone with wraparound display next year?
0. phoneArena 15 Nov 2013, 12:44 posted on
On Thursday, we showed you a patent application from Samsung showing a wraparound screen for a smartphone that was perfect for virtual buttons and slide controls. Having the screen wraparound to both sides of the handset also could help users navigate around applications a lot easier. But no one expected to see the Korean OEM release such a handset soon...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
software!!!! samsung needs to focus it and build quality
2. LiyanaBG (Posts: 381; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
samsung needs to clean/refresh out touchwiz before they work on anything else.
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7039; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Get rid of TOUCH WIZ or use STOCK ANDROID OS or come out with something better than TOUCH WIZ
15. techaman (unregistered)
there working on tizen its looking good so far.
21. lifeyourlive (Posts: 126; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
Because design and manufacturing departments are working doesn't mean that software development is sleeping, even sometimes it does seem like it
3. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Lets all be honest. Samsung has hit a brick wall!!
They can't find anyone to copy and have really burnt themselves out!!
Stick to TV's Samsung
4. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
But to be more honest, they know how to make a new trend.
Just look at Note series and you'll understand what i mean.
5. H3Drvr (Posts: 34; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
They're building/adding a feature that hasn't been on any other device (that I've seen) yet...so yeah, I guess they can't find anyone to copy. But how is this hitting a brick wall?
Let's all be honest, Apple seems to have been hitting a brick wall for the past few (2-3?) years.
6. maccess (Posts: 719; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
well i guess you know samsung better than samsung itself right?? NO!!
8. tedkord (Posts: 7364; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Lets be truly honest - the only one copying these days is Apple. IOS 7 is pure Android and WP.
13. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Samsung specializes in crappy apps that are bloatware and a waste of their developer resources. Instead of making more crap they need to fix touchwiz and make it not a cartoony pile of crap.
17. techaman (unregistered)
its called tizen do you know anything about whats going on in the world of tech?
14. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Heck... one more stuff for Apple to copy and M$ to upgrade their software for. Apple thought it just has to work on "iPhad Bubble" (a copy of big sized Samsung phone with a curved display).
16. techaman (unregistered)
if you know anything about samsung you would know the history from sea food shipping to software and hardware dev, they will never hit a wall that they cant destroy. its almost like no one knows what there working on in the labs, research time people
7. KingDingaLing (Posts: 324; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
I guess it'd be cool for getting notifications on the edge while laying on your desk. Otherwise, not sure what the pros would be for the extra screen space on the side.
18. techaman (unregistered)
myself i like the look not liking the side so much because how would you hold the device, unless there is something to help out with hold so your not activating things all the time
9. CreeDiddy (Posts: 536; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
This is a counter to Apple's idea of using a wrap around screen. I believe the S5 will not employee this technology. I believe the Note 4 will.
19. techaman (unregistered)
this is a gs5 concept for over 2 years now. its on youtube. with some older specs
10. bogdancirstea (Posts: 13; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
NO. This is the answer to the question in the title of this post.
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7039; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Love to see our U.S. VERSION of the curved display phone. still waiting for the YOUM PHONE
20. scotjo (Posts: 6; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
How do you put a case on this type of phone? Some of us like to protect our phones, at least through the contract duration. Maybe the display isn't as fragile as it looks, but people still drop their phones and glass still breaks.
22. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Hmmm, interesting, but I just hope the glass is made to be smudge proof - I will stick with a one sided screen for now.