Samsung to break champagne for ChatON - its cross-platform mobile messaging service
0. phoneArena 29 Aug 2011, 02:20 posted on
Designed to work between Android, iOS, BlackBerry and bada OS devices, as well as featurephones Samsung's ChatON service is a direct take on the likes of iMessage, BBM, Google Talk and so on...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Kingk (unregistered)
ChatOn is available on bada2.0 alpha roms( leaked).
2. snowgator (Posts: 3209; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Cosidering that Samsung's Focus is considered to be the flagship W7 devices and that a GS2 varient for Windows is coming, the snub of Microsoft's OS is strange. But otherwise, bully for Samsung. This is a great idea and if done well could be a major selling point for Them.
Boy, there will be no living with Peter from Sweden if Bada is included in this and Windows isn't. Sigh. Post away, Pete, post away!!! :-D
4. PeterIfromsweden (Posts: 1230; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
Shows you that Samsung believe bada will be huge, and WP7 not, since they don't have ChatON for WP7 : D
This is what i have been saying all the time...
8. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
or it could be a coding difference...
or they could just care less about WP7 since android is their engine and they have BADA for those 10 fans worldwide. :)
14. PeterIfromsweden (Posts: 1230; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
there is alot bada more fans than 10, i can tell you that for sure...
Probalby Samsung know WP7 won't be a hit, and therefore they don't bother to make ChatON for WP7.
15. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
no it simply shows that samsung is waiting for mango to update before making the app... wp7 is in transition right now-- it makes sense to wait a month find the bugs and then make the app... and sorry but bada comes nowhere close to being wp7... just to prove a point bada recorded 3000 apps in q1 when the goal was 7000 while wp7 just crossed 30,000 apps..
16. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
that sounds quite reasonable, we must take in account that WP7 does not offer full multi tasking yet and you will need the app to run at all times to actually be considered effective. this kind of app is the kind of bloat people could actually use frequently.
oh and long time no see
19. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
haha ya i was away for the summer.. now the boring time starts again.. and wp7 does offer full multi now--i have been using mango for a few months, but since it hasn't been publicly released, i understand what u mean
17. PeterIfromsweden (Posts: 1230; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
Bada has more marketshare than WP7, even though Microsoft has put tons of money into advertisment (samsung has not put very much money into advertising bada yet).
In fact, bada is number 5 Os worldwide after IOS, Android, Symbian and BBOS.
And bada has lots more functionality than WP7, and when it comes to personalization bada grinds WP7 in the dust !
When it comes to apps, there is now over 6100 apps for bada. While WP7 has more apps than bada, bada will surely get lots more apps when the wave 3 and bada 2.0.1 comes out.
20. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
1. the marketshare is very proportional--bada was released over a year ago while wp7 under a year ago... and bada only has
21. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
okay it won't write what i say no matter what.. but basically bada will not compete with wp7.. has only .3 more mrktsh, will not reach anywhere close to the amount of apps wp7 has at the current rate, and is a non license-able os..
3. PeterIfromsweden (Posts: 1230; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
"ChatON can be run on Android, iOS, BlackBerry and bada OS devices, as well as on featurephones."
Yes, i'll get this message service. All members of my family own a bada phone (exept one, who uses Nokia N8 with symbian) so then i can chat with my family instead of sending sms.
Good work Samsung !
10. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I hope its not something you must set up a lot, if they make it clean and simple it will become extremely popular specially with such many devices on the line
6. PeterIfromsweden (Posts: 1230; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
But since samsung is behind ChatON it will most likely be much more popular. Especially since bada phones likely will come with ChatON preinstalled. And my guess is that Samsung Android phones will have ChatON preinstalled as well.
9. remixfa (Posts: 13903; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I can see it being pushed in the next updates.
11. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
and maybe will see it on other devices a swell if Samsung knows how to promote it
18. ToneDef (Posts: 39; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I'm really glad someting like this will finally become available. I don't care who makes it, but was looking for something I could text my sister on her Wave 2, and my brother on his Nokia from my Galaxy S. Can't wait!
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
tell me about it bud maybe it works on maemo :D
12. protozeloz (Posts: 5375; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
willing to try is as soon as it comes out, I have a yea worth of whatsapp but hey if it holds more devices and I can have more of my friends then I want it