Samsung throws in its two cents, sends T-Mobile's CEO a Gold Samsung Galaxy S5
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2014, 01:26 posted on
On Friday, we passed along a picture of a 24K Gold finished HTC One (M8) that had been sent to T-Mobile CEO John Legere by HTC America. The executive had snapped a picture of his gift, and tweeted it out for all to see. But just when you figured that Mr. Legere had a brand new daily driver, out pops a tweet from the outspoken executive, showing off the new Gold finished Samsung Galaxy S5 he received from Samsung Mobile U.S...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. theminolaboy (Posts: 128; Member since: 18 May 2013)
What about BB? Is Chen giving him a BB too? LOL..
3. Topcat488 (Posts: 1223; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Samsung always copycatting what everybody do... That's why they're in trouble with Apple NOW! Copy everything and anything. "Copysung"
5. nestea (unregistered)
idea was copied.... hard to understand for samsung fanboys?...
7. doubler86 (Posts: 320; Member since: 26 Jan 2011)
Samsung doesn't copy, they One Up the competition. Just wait for the sales and see
14. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
lol that gold paint is horrible looking. AAAAARGH my eyes.
33. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
The sales he says. THE SALES!
Samsung just got caught again lying big time about their sales numbers. You don't see PhoneArena posting this article because it would cause too much trouble more than good.
38. nctx77 (Posts: 1004; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Exactly. They mention they sold 2 million Galaxy tab tablet, when it actualiy sold far less than tha. I bet they have done this with other product. I notice every time Sammy has bad new, the next day they follow it up with some ridiculous SHIPPED number. They will get exposed soon enough on the other products.
57. SPASE (Posts: 184; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Ah, I see it's your "llllllllllll"
56. SPASE (Posts: 184; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Are you trying to sound intelligent?
Nice try, but keep trying you can only get better.
39. shuaibhere (Posts: 1927; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Is giving a phone a new idea????
It is known as competition...htc did it so samsung thought why can't we????well they have more money than htc....
13. hurrycanger (Posts: 1499; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
This is absolutely a great opportunity for Samsung haters, lol.
16. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
In which team you are, i'm torn apart. The gold S5(in above photo) looks horrible imo. but htc's gimmicky camera lol.
19. hurrycanger (Posts: 1499; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I agree with your statement. That gold S5 does look terrible in that photo. and HTC M8 duo camera is gimmicky. The sample images are just... bad.
As for which team, I'm with neither in this case. HTC pretty much gave this guy a gold M8 to get attention (well, what other reason could it be? xD), and now Samsung "one up" that with a gold S5. It's not a bad thing to do, but I'm not impressed either.
17. willard12 (Posts: 1163; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Isn't Samsung "in trouble" over Android features? I can't wait to see your comments when Apple copies larger screens.
22. hurrycanger (Posts: 1499; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
No, not copying. That will be true innovation...
34. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
It's only copying when Apple does it.
What about Sonys large screens? Nokia? Etc?
In the end, the one who is most profitable and successful is the winner (which is Apple/SS, if you forgot).
43. eldyagustius (Posts: 169; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
When Apple kept producing the 4 inch phone, the people complained and mocked it. When Apple try to create larger screen phone maybe as their response to the consumer, the haters says it's a copycat. I really don't understand at all.
72. ecmedic4 (Posts: 270; Member since: 02 May 2013)
How is releasing a phone with a larger screen copying? That is a really dumb trolling comment. They would simply be following consumer preference. A larger screen is not innovation or copying. I use an iPhone 5S and i wouldn't mind a bigger screen, so Apple would just be following market preference as more and more ppl are wanting a larger screen phone. When flip phones started coming out, it was a race to get smaller and smaller, now the market preference is changing again, so please stop trolling and saying releasing a larger screen phone is copying. Pretty much every OEM is releasing larger screened smartphones. Grow up.
47. Ashoaib (Posts: 2829; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
What you and apple calling copy was present in andriod already, so its not a copy... they just borrowed from android
58. sam3k (Posts: 65; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Hmmm question, did apple create gold or have a patient on gold phone's? Shut the hell up if you dont know what you are talking about, motorola and nokia had gold phones long before apple even interested the smartphone business..
62. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
this is not even real gold, cheap wanabe plastic gold.
samsung you are a disgrace vs htc
70. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7030; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
who cares bout a golden phone. and Apple are trying to BAN ANDROID and consumers right to purchase what we want
18. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
BB don't give a damn about this, they won't follow this "giving CEO a gold flagship" trend. It's nice to see that Blackberry, Sony, LG, Huawei, Oppo etc. is not into this trend. Guess who's next in this trend? I think Nokia will give John Legere a gold Lumia 930, cuz we know Nokia, they know what to do lol.
66. Alphageek (banned) (Posts: 27; Member since: 22 Jun 2011)
What does BlackBerry have to do with this article?
2. Luuthian (Posts: 223; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
That's something of a crappy dilemna, free phone or not. Who would want to piss off either company?
Maybe he should just us a Windows Phone and watch the world burn.
6. deewinc (Posts: 204; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Samsung already proved that they had gold phones long before Apple thought of making phones. They also went ahead and proved it as they were epic used by movie stars in movies (not commercial purposes).
Some Apple fanboys are just plain retards.
25. nestea (unregistered)
So why they haven't introduced golden color galaxy series smartphones before Apple?.... oh wait, they forgot that color? or what? ^^ typical samsung fanboy, no logic, only fanboyism
31. Heatfan316 (Posts: 503; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Boy! Are you mad, I guess Samsung wins. Who gives crap if they copied, you really think Samsung gives a crap about you and what you think, they're still making billions. LMAO! :D
40. shuaibhere (Posts: 1927; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
If you're from gulf countries you would have known about the golden galaxies before ip5...
74. Taters (Posts: 4633; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol what a dumb ass. Samsung has made gold everything before the iPhone 5.....
42. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
How are them gold samsung phones? Sold 6 million in 3 days?
45. eldyagustius (Posts: 169; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
Well you could say samsung creates the waterproof smartphones at first before sony, but they haven't published it yet. You could say samsung creates the phone with fingerprint at first before apple too (thought it would be useless). Just admit it if samsung tries to copycat unique feature from the another smartphones plus another additional features from samsung in their smartphones.
9. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
lucky guy. BTW is it a real gold or gold painted plastic. ROFL.
35. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Looks like dollar-store spray paint to me
10. Lt.Green (Posts: 397; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Ugh, and here I am working my a$$ off just to own one. Lucky bastard.
20. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
We get a phone too...by purchasing it. :P
12. aayupanday (Posts: 552; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
That can't be a 24K version of the S5...
It's got to be a plastic Gold edition of the same as Samsung can't even dream of a 24K Gold Edition Phone
29. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Thats indeed faux gold. From what i've dig around the internet, there's no mention of 24k real gold. Its the same ol' band aid aka copper gold plastic. Sammy is making fun of itself. No one up sh@t.
15. ojdidit84 (Posts: 428; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
This looks like an afterthought to try and one-up HTC. Pretty bad one-up thought because it just looks like an S5 spray painted with cheap gold paint. The M8 looks much better with a much better finish since it's an actual 24k gold plated device.
23. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Childish trend, really... If I'm the CEO, I will sell those phones and get the one I like. I want a phone, not a jewelery. :P
24. hurrycanger (Posts: 1499; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
If you were him, you wouldn't need to sell anything and can still buy a bunch of phones you like. xD
36. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
If he were him, the company would be dead.
60. hurrycanger (Posts: 1499; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
oh dang! I totally left out that possibility. LoL.
64. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
there are people who prefer to look and dress nice and ddrive prestige cars so along with a nice gold phone to look unique than others..
your not like them, look at saudia arabia and dubai, they believe in the very best quality and dont care for how much it costs, it should be diffrent from the typical rest users
26. lala99 (Posts: 6; Member since: 08 Apr 2014)
poor lol, some peoples think m8 is great because of its look, but omfg the camera suck as alwasy , samsung won in many aspect well obviusly the display, noone can argue that
46. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1639; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
The reviews are mixed on the camera. It doesn't look as bad to me as some people have said:
27. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
John is a douche and his douchey gold phones fail to impress, i'll take my dark grey brushed non douche version of the m8 thanks
28. Lyngdoh (Posts: 226; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Samsung really is a copy cat. And that golden S5 still looks cheap.
30. galanoth (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
How is Samsung copying?
It takes more than 1 day to produce a phone.
What everyone is saying that Samsung saw HTC's gold phone
then decided hey let's make a gold one too that same day
and have it ready to give to Legere the next day?
37. lllIIIlllIIl (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
That's exactly what they are saying. Why didn't Samesung just give him a black phone? Or white? Or blue? Or whatever other color?
32. magnum44 (unregistered)
How much value a "gift" should have before it qualifies as some sort of a "bribe" effort ... and if you declared it, and even laugh it off publically, but did accept it for personal use - is that ok? ... or may be it's all just corporate PR perfectly common and acceptable and these gifts are too negligable to be of any ethical consequence ... by the way both devices stink in real gold, especially the Samsumg ... strictly for pimps or those with just bad taste, rich or poor.