Samsung sued by Ericsson over refusal to renew FRAND patents
0. phoneArena 28 Nov 2012, 12:47 posted on
Swedish based Ericsson is taking Korean based Samsung to court for refusing to renew a licensing agreement over standards-essential patents; since the license has expired, Samsung has sold hundreds of millions of what Ericsson calls "unlicensed cellular handsets"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Topcat488 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I'M a OG-Note user, and i say if Sammy doesn't pay sue them... To be fair here, Samsung raise the price 20% on Apple for their product... Inflation is a bitch!
2. Aeires (unregistered)
SS needs to do the right thing and just pay the fees.
25. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
good point - just get the money from APPLE and hand it over to Ericsson. Man, Samsung should just get the deal done, so that they concentrate on the issues with APPLE.
32. joey_sfb (Posts: 4750; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I think Samsung has made enough to pay Ericsson. Don't become what you hated most.
3. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Samsung may just want to lose here. If Samsung lose, it can ask Apple to pay the same inflated FRAND rate. If it wins against Ericsson, then Apple will use this case as hypocrisy against Samsung.
33. V3TTOO (Posts: 27; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
This is an awesome point. I hope that is what is going on and they aren't just being hypocrites.
4. Katrina (Posts: 73; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
lol its like no one gives a crap about ericsson anymore, ever since sony bought them out. haha
glad that sony did that. lol yea but still sammy should just pay it and not be a d**k like apple. -..-
7. aokde (Posts: 186; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
sony didn't buy ericsson, sony bought their 50% share from ericsson, there's a difference. get your facts right.
11. Katrina (Posts: 73; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Same thing thats what I meant. Bought them out bought out their shares. Them referring to their shares, stop acting like a smart ass, going through peoples post and find their mistakes when there's no mistakes, just cause you want to defend Sammy.
31. aokde (Posts: 186; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
I'm not defending samsung nor i'm defending sony, am just saying, you should get your facts right.
And btw, i'm a hardcore sony fan.
26. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
5. smallworld (Posts: 471; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Ericsson has tons of patents. Samsung can't win.
8. MartyK (Posts: 733; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Yeah, but cup and string don't count..hahahahah
But yeah, Samsung needs to pay up!!
I know Ericsson and it's legal team ( all 2 of them) will win..hahaha
6. ryq24 (Posts: 645; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
if its apple suing there is some doubt if it is true or not but ericcsson suing samsung give it more credibility that samsung really infringe on ericsson patents.
29. -box- (Posts: 3984; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Especially because they had an agreement before.
C'mon samsung, you have the money, and it's for a good cause. Cough up.
9. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
so will people still say that Samsung is just defending themselves..
10. Aeires (unregistered)
Too bad you didn't read the comments, if you did you'd see most people think SS should just pay the fees. Or you're just trolling and did read the comments.
12. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
my comments were made to Sammy kids. whom read but have not post yet. they know who they are
15. tedkord (Posts: 8306; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Here's a better question. Will you defend Samsung, since they're doing the same thing as Apple?
27. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Ted, you know better than that...lol.
G-King and his cohorts will always side with APPLE like a pirates' crew going down with the ship.
16. Aeires (unregistered)
So you lowered yourself to their level, nice job.
13. zekes (Posts: 229; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
Samsung needs to start playing fair and pay they been in the business longer than them.
14. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
well i think its about time Sony does wats right and get what is owed them.......even if it means going at the big guns.......time to step up Sony make em pay for what they owe you....and yes make em pay for EVERYTHING.....whether small or big
20. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
hahaha i dont know man but some how i think they've been getting step on for quite some time now!
22. smallworld (Posts: 471; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
TRUE. Japanese, especially Sony, have invented/developed/codeveloped so many thing that changed our lives.
17. wendygarett (unregistered)
Galaxy s3 is an unlicensed handset? That sound strong word to me...
21. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
be careful........cause it might be "true" words :)
30. rudlie (Posts: 197; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
samsung sued apple with the patents from ericsson? what a embarassing. pay it samsung, don't tell us you are big company if you unable to pay ericsson. even samsung infringed FRAND patent, what a embarassing
34. argiriano (Posts: 3; Member since: 30 Nov 2012)
Why there is so many people that didin`t make the difference between SonyEricsson and Ericsson?
Ericsson is one of the leaders of phone industry as a whole, they choose to comeback to be just network equipment company and they are a leading one. Ericsson have on of the strongest patent portfolio in 2G, 3G, and 4G, and will become even stronger when LTE Advanced will be deployed as they are one of it`s inventors. Big part of theirs 2G patents are considered ESENTIAL, that`s why Samsung don`t have a chance in this case.
Did you ever ask yourselves why the hell Apple didn`t sue SonyEricsson or Sony 'till today...? Well the truth is, that Apple have to pay Ericsson before presenting iPhone to the world. ;) It`s called patents and Apple knows that very well, so cross-licensing working well for now, but how far after the split we shall see.
If that`s not enough Ericsson didn`t just make equipment, they inventing... just like Bluetooth a couple of years ago, at this year CES they presented the next step of comunication between devices when using your body as a connector for doing that.