Samsung sitting on $40 billion in cash, $28.5 billion after debt
0. phoneArena 08 May 2013, 17:15 posted on
There has been a lot of talk recently about Samsung's financials and its rising profits, and the new word is that we should probably expect to see some acquisitions from Samsung, because the company is sitting on quite a lot of cash. According to Samsung's last earnings report, the company has built up $40 billion in cash, and even after subtracting the company debt, it has $28.5 billion in cash...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. p0rkguy (Posts: 684; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
I'm still surprised Samsung didn't use that for the S3. It probably would've sold even more.
28. omar300 (Posts: 200; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
R&D! what a joke, samsung doesn't have R&D. it has a huge software designer team, thats all.
29. joey_sfb (Posts: 3832; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Ignorance is a bliss. Samsung make everything from every where including American.
This is the true reason why apple is so hell bend to stop Samsung. I don't think apple could with their present strategy.
Plus apple don't play well with others, everyone apple approaches is either a lawsuit or looking to buyout for a dime.
14. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I'm a Mother Father Gentleman.
21. a961009 (Posts: 120; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
actually it is Oppan gangnam style. From native korean;)
2. mikewillz (Posts: 45; Member since: 03 May 2013)
That's a lot of double cheeseburgers from McDonalds.
4. Whateverman (Posts: 3235; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Why oh, why can't Nokia, Motorola, LG, RIM, and Sony follow the Apple/Samsung model. HTC is on their way but VZW is being stupid about not offering the One. The DNA is a good phone, but haven't they learned about passing on hot devices like GS2 and the Note 1?
Anywho, great job Samsung but I hope the others can learn from your success.
19. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
dude whats with you htc fanatics. there's a ton of us who switched from htc to moto or samsung
face it samsung has come along way since the galaxy. starting with the epic, samsung has been on a roll. stop complaining and respect them.
apart from occasional radio problems and use of plastic. samsung owns every android manufacturer and if ios was open samsung would own in that market too.
they seem to know what the customer wants and uses its assets to appeal to markets that were open.
htc had a long head start since the windows 6.5. but lets face it they sucked until most recently, the one.
the dna. let's not even start. i had that phone. crappy battery life, gets hot, and limited storage
24. Whateverman (Posts: 3235; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Wait, what??? HTC fanatic? Stop complaint and respect them? Dude, did you even bother to read my post before you put me in those boxes?
I complained about nothing, except for VZW's stupidity, and I referenced 2 Samsung devices. That should show they have my respect, but if that doesn't do it for you, how about the fact that I just paid full retail for a Note 2?
Lastly, I hate HTC devices! So I don't know where you get the impression that I'm an HTC fanatic. No matter how I feel about their devices, the One and DNA are great phones. Sorry you had a bad experience, but every OEM has its duds. Some more than others. All I'm saying is the dualopoly is bad and if the other OEMs can hit their stride like samsung, it would be much better for us all.
27. troutsy (Posts: 287; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
Yeaaahhhhhhhh..... they're not choosing to sell fewer phones and make next to no profit.
That's like if I were to say you need to make a phone and sell 200 million a year.
5. lorenzattractor (Posts: 67; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Should probably invest on a better design team.
12. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3045; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
and yet their phones are selling like crazy.
18. lorenzattractor (Posts: 67; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
One thing has nothing to do with the other one. Selling like crazy =/= good design.
20. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
the metal body or composite (a fancy sphancy material with traces of plastic) is coming soon.
6. Aeires (unregistered)
Wonder how much the entire Samsung corporation makes, the mobile division is only a fraction of what they do. Samsung builds everything from phones to refrigerators to military tanks.
16. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Earnings report for Q1 says $47.6 billion in revenue for the company as a whole, $6.4 billion in net profit.
7. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
:D Now more R&D please!! so i wont go with Sony Honami.. Release a device w/ more innovations, stop d feature dumping
10. ph00ny (Posts: 622; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Don't they spend more on R&D than pretty much every other tech company? I think they were rivaling pharm companies in the last few years
11. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
No,, samsung spent 10.3 billion in r&d 3.38 for Apple
11.sumthing in marketing 4 samsung 1bill for Apple
Hmm but Samsung electronics has many products so we dont know the allocated budgets for every dept
13. scsa852k (Posts: 320; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
No wonder Samsung is playing around by making 2139012391209832 variants of Galaxy phones.
15. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Scrooge McDuck? What are you doing here? O_o
17. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I believe that any company that has that much cash in reserves is obligated to have a McDuckian pool of money in which to swim or ski.
23. Topcat488 (Posts: 1182; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Samsung being "Greedy", S4 will be compared to itself... 3 different varieties of 1, because of a rush too greediness... The stumble starts here for real, so standup straight with the Note III, if you don't want to fall. Rushing for profits = fail. Because the people aren't stupid.
25. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I don't think it was necessarily a rush for greed's sake... more like a legal defensive move in case they are on the losing ends of any other lawsuits.
Infringing devices have to be named. Due to the numbers being named, judges are imposing limits on how many devices can be included in the filing because these stupid suits are occupying so much of the courts' time.
As only the devices named can be levied, any device that comes out after the filing will require all new paperwork be submitted.
It's basically saying, "Oh, you wanna take me to court? Well, all right then... I'll give you all the court you can handle."
30. donfem (Posts: 568; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
And to think your bad english makes you .....