Samsung shows interest in Apple's deal with HTC
0. phoneArena posted on 17 Nov 2012, 00:10
Nearly a week after the surprising announcement that Apple and HTC had agreed to a ten year licensing agreement that put a halt to all patent litigation between the two, Korean manufacturer Samsung asked a court to order Apple to turn over a copy of the agreement...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mercorp posted on 17 Nov 2012, 00:13 4 18
Why are they backtracking their words about fighting with apple?
Afraid that they will lose apple's demand for parts?
2. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 17 Nov 2012, 00:19 17 1
naa its not about coward ness here.....seems more like "doing the right thing" here bro.........
26. Droid_X_Doug posted on 17 Nov 2012, 09:40 4 0
I doubt Sammy is looking for a licensing opportunity. More like using Apple's refusal to license the untouchable patents as a way to underscore how unreasonable Apple is.
What will be more interesting would be to see the details of the Apple-MS and Apple-Nokia cross licensing agreements. I suspect Apple's untouchable patents are included in those agreements, which would further undermine Apple's argument that they don't license their untouchable patents.
As I posted in an earlier article, stock up on popcorn and beer, 'cause this little pissing match ain't over yet. Nothing like both companies going thermo-nuclear on the other.
3. Sniggly posted on 17 Nov 2012, 00:43 23 1
Actually, it sounds like they want legal ammo to throw in Apple's face when the appeals begin.
5. blackspot posted on 17 Nov 2012, 00:48 6 0
Yeah, I don't see any end to this Apple/ Samsung dispute anytime soon. Honestly, I'm getting kind of tired of it.
8. Mxyzptlk posted on 17 Nov 2012, 02:36 0 24
They should go the easy route and just do a licensing agreement. If you're going to copy someone then you should pony up the fees and dues.
9. tedkord posted on 17 Nov 2012, 02:41 17 0
And how much are Apple paying LG for the Prada?
12. SGSatlantis posted on 17 Nov 2012, 05:46 8 0
Hehe, nice one:)
19. andro. posted on 17 Nov 2012, 08:03 7 1
Whoooa calm down!!! Don't bring up the LG Prada lol,i was banned for a week before for saying the Prada was unveiled to the world a couple of months before iphone. Despite quoting records from wiki etc showing this historically is the case the moderator insisted quite angrily that "Lg Prada was announced AFTER the iphone"
All that aside this patent war is getting beyond the ridiculous but unfortunately Apple opened a can of worms when they really should have just got the head down and tried to compete like everyone else
25. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 17 Nov 2012, 09:07 2 0
That's messed up. Even if you were wrong, if they banned people for posting comments for being wrong, there'd be no one left here to comment.
31. dorianb posted on 17 Nov 2012, 13:44 0 0
LG Prada the REAL Jesus phone of 2007.
15. someones4 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 06:50 4 0
Give it a rest. Samsung will do no such thing.
36. joey_sfb posted on 17 Nov 2012, 20:31 0 0
You might as well ask apple to pay for your food and housing as you are doing their promotion full time.
20. OptimusOne posted on 17 Nov 2012, 08:04 1 0
actually? WHY CAN'T EVERYONE LIVE IN PEACE AND STOP FIGHTING?
32. blackspot posted on 17 Nov 2012, 13:48 0 0
Unfortunately, that's just human nature.
34. someones4 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 18:01 0 0
Well, first off, it's not your billions of dollars at stake.
35. blackspot posted on 17 Nov 2012, 18:23 1 0
Yeah, but Apple's actions have been speaking louder than their products as of late.
37. someones4 posted on 18 Nov 2012, 03:10 0 0
owh... thought you are asking samsung to quit the bttle
21. taz89 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 08:16 2 0
They are not back peddling far from it. They want to know the deal so they can use it against them in court.. This article tries to portray that Samsung is looking for deal but if you tread other articles you will know they are not
38. tedkord posted on 18 Nov 2012, 12:59 0 0
If you read other articles, you will know that during negotiations, Apple offered to pay one tenth of one cent per device for actual tech thata phone won't work without, but demanded in excess of $20 per device for shapes and colors.
It didn't matter what Samsung did, Apple had no intention of licensing anything, but rather intended to use their spurious patents to ban their biggest competitor.
30. -box- posted on 17 Nov 2012, 13:01 0 0
It's a.good idea. If apple is OK with HTC paying (for example) $5 per handset for all patents, Samsung could use that as a counter to the amount stated per handset during their trial with apple. That would be "fair and reasonable" (if they don't get the whole verdict tossed).
7. ElektronicGeek91 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 01:01 6 2
I thought this article was about Samsung making an agreement with Apple.....phew. I was going to be PISSED!
16. someones4 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 06:51 3 0
Yeah. the title was really misleading. apparently, the deal is just a guideline for Samsung on what NOT to do.
11. tedkord posted on 17 Nov 2012, 04:07 5 0
Sam-one. Number one smartphone manufacturer by quite a bit, selling phones with the number one mobile OS by an awful lot.
27. Bernoulli posted on 17 Nov 2012, 10:06 0 0
Don't forget they sell the most amount of smartphones around the globe
29. darkkjedii posted on 17 Nov 2012, 10:15 1 1
And u guys said that to say what? That news is well known at this point.
13. abish1234 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 06:20 4 0
is it just me or phone arena is really slow in reporting news.. (-.-)
17. RapidCat posted on 17 Nov 2012, 07:45 0 0
HTC not pay to Apple, consumer who buy HTC product who pays.
Like what HTC ans Samdung doing when pay microsoft $5-15. they never pay microsoft. but we are who buy their product.
18. JGuinan007 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 08:02 1 0
Are you saying that since HTC has to pay Apple $20 for every android phone it sells HTC is then going to raise the price of it's phones by $20 to cover that and that we as customers of HTC are really the ones paying Apple? Well if thats the case I refuse to buy HTC and will only buy Samsung, I refuse to give money to Apple.
24. mayur007 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 09:02 0 1
yes it happens in every kind of product
Not just a phone other products too , not on patent but on others like advertisment,
If they started paying from there pockets then how they are gng to earn much
they charge everytime, thats include in there profit margin ...
22. LostInTheRed posted on 17 Nov 2012, 08:36 1 0
Wait a second! Wasn't the "Bounce Back" or "Rubberbanding" patent INVALIDATED by the patent office? If it was, how are they able to enforce a license agreement and ask for money? Someone clear this up for me please.
23. mayur007 posted on 17 Nov 2012, 08:56 0 0
i likes the approach of SS , but i didnt like the approach of Apple at all ,
What i think is SS wont make a deal bcoz in previous article SS said that they are preparing for war.
Better have patent exchange system , choose innovation not law suite.
33. roscuthiii posted on 17 Nov 2012, 16:40 0 0
Live by the pen, die by the pen... Man, dying by pen really does seem to take forever!
Someone please just drop down the Thunderdome and bust out the swords to usher all this along.
40. rusticguy posted on 24 Nov 2012, 04:26 0 0
And Samsung gets the right to see the details of the deal. Surprising PA didn't report this .... not sure why though :)