Samsung sheds some more light on the Exynos 5420 Octa: more power and longer battery life
0. phoneArena 09 Aug 2013, 10:07 posted on
Samsung's foray into all matters mobile has been one of great consequences, and according to the company, its new Exynos 5420 Octa SoC will stay true to that legacy...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Cesar (Posts: 137; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
nice! but if the next samsung phones come with touchwiz again, will have LAG even with Octa, 12, 1000 cores! -.-
3. lpratas (Posts: 137; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Don't you have a lag in your brains? Why people like you have so much envy and hate of Samsung?
28. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
you have any idea how big touchwiz is on inboard storage? and how much RAM it consumes?
As for hate, most readers here are smart enough to know what unnecessary and useful features are. so they are bound to hate samsung for its unnecessary features.
dont know who envys samsung. probably someone who lives in 2011 era.
32. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 140; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
The best thing about samsung is choice mate..u dont want any of touchwiz features(which YOU think r useless,not the ppl using it) then buy a Google Edition Galaxy s4...if u want those features and are ready to sacrifice some onboard storage then buy the normal version..there was never a shortage of ram on any of the galaxy s phones..
and most users here do not hate samsung..just some trolls..
41. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
dont give your love to samsung for providing clean android version. it was google's choice. samsung loves their cartoony touchwiz and want to install it on everything. wait few years and you will see that in microwaves and washing machines too.
44. RobotMan (Posts: 140; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
That is what people want. More feature. It is not like WP or iOS that have limited function. My Note II never have lag, so if S4 have any, then Samsung will optimize it no problem.
45. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
i did have galaxy s3 for 10 months. so i do know how good "samsung optimization" is. if i streamed video or did anything that used GPU the phone would become toaster and battery will drain like no tomorrow.
when i install AOKP it worked just fine. so come on, please dont tell me touchwiz doesnt lag and samsung does good job of optimizing its processor.
47. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 140; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Some ppl do like touchwiz cuz of the extra features they get..it did lag a bit on s3...on s4 all u ll be able to see r micro stutters..which u cn whine about if u like but its really just nitpicking..
46. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 140; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
No it wasnt just google's choice...any oem is free to hv a vanilla edition android installed on their phones..yeah the google edition branding is google's choice but samsung cud hv said no to them any time..it wasnt google's choice at all..a GE Galaxy s4 is present in the market cuz samsung wanted it to..
6. joey_sfb (Posts: 4255; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
If you have problem with Samsung just don't buy it. I have used HTC, LG, Motorola and Samsung.
So far only Samsung don't leave a bad impression so until they do, I will buy Samsung phone again and again.
8. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If you REALLY want a smartphone with no lag guaranteed, get a Windows Phone a.k.a Nokia Lumia or a BlackBerry.
There, problem solved.
10. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I would rather buy an iphone before ever considering a windows phone... They are horrible devices.
11. CaoCiBai (Posts: 24; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
So, you would rather pay $700+ for an overpriced and small 4 inch duo core phone. Nice decision there. Money well spent. /s
12. duder52 (Posts: 27; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
What makes windows phone horrible? It's more of a smartphone than an iphone. At least you can turn it's screen on and get useful and live information as opposed to a grid full of icons that launch apps.
15. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
iPhone is an overpriced horrible device if you ask me.
Windows Phone is a useful smartphone that has a modern UI with colorful live tiles. Windows Phone is modern, mature, and magnificent.
16. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Gigantic tiles are a fail, so is Windows 8. Stop encouraging Microsofts BS and they will get rid of it.
18. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9809; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I rather get an iPhone over a BB or any WP8 (including Lumia 1020). iOS has a way better ecosystem than any of them and you're bound to receive support for your phone much longer. How many WP7 phones were upgraded to WP8?
30. duder52 (Posts: 27; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Ecosystem? You mean being a slave to anything apple says? Yes, that's what I want in my phone, to be a slave to the company I bought it from. Support? What support from ios? It's been the same since it's inception. A screen/grid full of apps. It's not really hard to support the older models when nothing of significance has changed in your os. Oh wait, this year there are shiny new icons, yey!
31. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 140; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
They still update their devices faster than wp..look what new features ppl got with gdr2..and gdr3 has orientation lock...lol..AND the absence of some major apps..sorry mate but yeah ios over wp anyday..Android is better than both imo..wp has a long looong way to go b4 getting in competition with ios and android..
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9809; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Stop being a blind hater. Time to open your eyes and accept the truth.
51. gabrielvoica (Posts: 60; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
the same amount of galaxy s1 to jellybean,sony xperia arc,htc sensation and so on...
33. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 140; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Dude u sound like a 5 year old girl...lol "modern","colorful" lol and yes did i tell u? "Modern" and lovely tiles..lol..sorry man...however horrible iphone/ios may b...its still way better than wp...i mean look at the gdr2,and gdr3 updates..they r laughable..
35. duder52 (Posts: 27; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Your comments are laughable. You are bashing GDR2 and GDR3 updates which are mainly about bug fixes and small feature additions. They are not major and new OS releases. Meanwhile, each iOS major release, is a rehash of each of the previous releases. Once again, ios7, shiny new icons.
48. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 140; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Dude i am not an ios fan..but hating them blindly ll get u nowhere...ios at current IS better than wp...i mean its not evn debatable that wp is the lesser of the trio(android,ios,wp)...till i saw wp i dint know if making an os evn boring looking than ios is possible...and again lack of some major apps(m not evn getting into vast number of apps ios hs)..ios hs shiny icons..wp has tiles...its no better mayb evn worse...atleast with iphone u cn jailbreak it and then modify evry part of the ui..
42. Damitel (Posts: 66; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
This argument of choices between window phones and iphones clearly shows that Android ecosystem is in a separate world(far ahead than the rest)- a feat they carved for themselves. Though is difficult for iphone-users and nokia fans to admit it, but now, they are debating about their worlds- enjoy it.
13. jdoee100 (Posts: 334; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
But other companies lag behind Samsung. There is the real lag.
14. CaoCiBai (Posts: 24; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Brand recognition. They make good flagship models, but that doesnt mean they make good midrange or low end models (many of them lag). But, when the word spreads around from a S3 or S4 or Note2 user saying Samsung is good, those with half the budget of a flagship model will also go for Samsung. That is exactly how Samsung sells average stuff in millions.
17. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Nexus 4 is the cheapest device I know of that has 100% no lag.
36. rd_nest (Posts: 1115; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
It is practically impossible to have a lag-less system.
7. jdoee100 (Posts: 334; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I guess specs do matter. You can have cake and eat it too. But if you don't care about specs, there's always the Moto X, Nokia, and BB.
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9809; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I want to demo the 5420 in person so I can see how the new Mali performs.
9. bparkerson (unregistered)
The same few ruin the comment sections. I really used to enjoy these, now they're nothing more than a fan boy ranting post...please people, shut up with all the hate and discuss the topic...ridiculous!!!!
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9809; Member since: 14 May 2012)
23. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Wow dude, it seems like you're the one who's looking for trouble here.
Why would you mention me? Did I ruin the comment section? Did I post fanboy hate comments?
Can you clarify?
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9809; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You don't contribute much within an article. If you haven't gotten the hint, bparkerson is saying the exact same thing, so are the people who are thumbing him up.
21. ritesharora28 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
if in case Exynos 5420 comes up in Note 3 then only we'll be able to compare it with Snapdragon 800 powered G2
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9809; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I hope it does. I'm leaning towards the Note III this year.
54. Trex95 (Posts: 682; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Hope so. I used to own S4 and the only way to make it smooth by switch off the all gimmick feature and disable some built in apps that loaded by Samsung plus reduce the transition graphics effect to minimum.
PS. I used octa-core version!
27. BooBooooooo (Posts: 56; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Here are a lot of fans of samsung, it awesome
37. rd_nest (Posts: 1115; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Compared to the amount of sales, the number of fanboys from Samsung are very less.
If you compare Sony or Nokia fanboys, Samsung fanboys are miniscule. This is considering the fact that Samsung probably makes every damn thing under the sun.
39. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
I don't know samsung, i bet the G2 poops on your Note 3.
43. maccess (Posts: 715; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
prepare to lose that bet and eat the poop..
50. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Lol, but which version?
Some it will and some she won't is my feelin.
Samsung sprays models at us, not all or are any of them equal.
40. JGuinan007 (Posts: 654; Member since: 19 May 2011)
But can they make enough chips to put in their own devices? They seem to always use Qualcomm in all their phones outside of Korea since the OG Note. Exynos are great chips if you can get one but most of the world that buys Samsung gets Qualcom chips.
49. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Pretty much unobtanium vapor whisps to us in Canada at least, like last gens release.
Much ado, no show.
53. Trex95 (Posts: 682; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Hope this time Samsung not another marketing gimmick same as S4 octa-core.
55. rajcrazy (Posts: 7; Member since: 24 Jul 2013)
Thanks for sharing valuable information about Samsung smart phone. I am very happy after reading this post.I am waiting for your next post.