Samsung seeks to collect user data from its handsets for new "Context" service
0. phoneArena 11 Feb 2014, 23:19 posted on
A published report on Tuesday states that Samsung is seeking to collect user data from its phones. The idea is to allow third party services to send out targeted features to mobile users based on things they like. Other companies, like Google and Facebook, collect information in order to serve up targeted ads. Samsung is believed to be collecting information in order to improve the app experience of its users...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 800; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
more like its called selling info for money
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5278; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Not unlike what Google has been doing for quite some time. If there is the ability to easily opt-out, I don't see any harm - some people like to get targeted ads. But if it is mandatory, I suspect Sammy will see some lost sales.
6. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 800; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
Agreed but with Google its an ecosystem that we all know that it is being done but the experience is totally different with Google now, and search I bet. Context will be just as invasive as AOL was in the beginning I bet.
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5278; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I too would pass. I am curious whether Sammy will provide the ability to opt-out? If no opt-out, I am definitely not in the market for Sammy toys.
5. hurrycanger (Posts: 611; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I don't enjoy having my internet usage being tracked, but I kinda see the benefits in this. A lot of times, I see ads that are optimized for me. But well, Google is already doing that. I'm not so sure what extra stuff this Context service can bring.
7. Aploine (Posts: 103; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
Why Samsung? Don't I pay you much for your overpriced phones?
You want to snoop in my phone now, invade my life,
be hateted like google, microsoft, nsa?
You want to play big brother too?
Are you idiots? Enough with you people.
10. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4812; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Samsung: "Eh, we dun give a shiet, becuz we have yo momma's money. Big Sam Daddy is rich, b*tches!
11. hurrycanger (Posts: 611; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
speaking about the lucky 10 year old kid with the Note 3... lol
12. AfterShock (Posts: 1250; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Asking too much from its users.
Samsung is stepping on toes like a drunk prom queen.