Samsung says that a rugged version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 is on the way
0. phoneArena 23 Apr 2013, 16:28 posted on
If you are worried about buying the Samsung Galaxy S4 because you're as coordinated as the Miami Marlins infield, the president of Samsung Gulf mentioned that a rugged version of the Android flagship is in the works and could be introduced within weeks; this comes after the water and dust proofing of the Sony Xperia Z received plenty of attention...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
5. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
Brown Samsung Galaxy S4 toilet edition.
Waterproof, Antibacterial and Anti corn/pea/peanut coating.
8. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3751; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
You just scored a new benchmark score for hate-tuantu.
14. Emily1985 (Posts: 127; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Samsung Galaxy S4 Videotest vs Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5 vs Xperia Z, Galaxy S3
Who has the best quality?
17. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Could you tell me please, what your reply to Nathan_ingx's comment has to do with Nathan_ingx's comment?
Because your reply in view to Nathan_ingx's comment is offtopic, or it is just a unsuccessful attempt to troll?
51. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3751; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I'm afraid only (s)he has the answer.
59. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I think that we also know the answer, it was just lame attempt to troll. :)
60. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3751; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I was kind of leaving a suspense in the air :)
48. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
I bet the galaxy s4 will be chunkier, uglier and heavier with the galaxy x-cover like design. Sooooooo UGLY
49. tech2 (Posts: 3451; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Strange that you come from a place where one can 'bet' even after the phone specs are released !!
2. thethird (Posts: 72; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
I say samsung is really catching up in terms of what people say about their build quality. First HTCs metal body and now Sony's waterproof device. They really sure are bothered (samsung) now. Although this is a proof of awareness. Go Sammy! BRING IT ON [+]
3. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Hmmm, this might pull me away the the One if I can't keep myself to wait for the motorola X.
It would be nice to have a rugged phone where I dont have to worry about water or dirt when I got backpacking in the wilderness
4. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 348; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Will it have the Exynos chip ?
... Take my money.
6. Meleagru (Posts: 92; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
Rugged phones aren't for clumsy people, they are meant for people that work in punishing environments. Not everyone works in an office and some people need to be able to use a smartphone in wet conditions or in places where a normal phone might get damaged just by virtue of doing a day's work.
9. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Sweet. if the XPERIA Z don't lands on AT&T I'll settle for the RUGGED GS IV. Glad I waited for this news
10. mydi.maus (unregistered)
it wont match xperia z ruggedness toughness,greatness.
12. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Xperia Z has a laggy ui and last years hardware. The Xperia Z isn't a tough phone, its just waterproof.
30. pyradark (Posts: 852; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
looks like you only watch S4 torture than Z. too bad its an outdated phone but still sell hahaha on that!!
25. SleepingOz (unregistered)
haha nice joke..
35. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
ruggedness?? if both ip57 then theyr equal, how if this s4 will be ip67??
toughness?? polycarbonate is still tougher than fragile glass
greatness?? hmm as i can observe, XZ is now out of the present debate/battle for the android flagship title 2013 bcoz of so many major shortcomings
41. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
1. S4 with IP67 your are dreaming.. because the last time i check dunkable from P2i is only IPX7 ''water resistant only''
2. Xperia Z uses durable glass it will survive from normal drop test and it scratch resistant glass so its not fragile glass.
S4 ''plastic'' without scratch resistant and shockproof certification ( but i'm sure Gorila Glass 3 will help S4 in drop test ).
3. Xperia Z still in the battle of android flagship because XP Z have what S4 doesn't have, the sales good enough, and in many tech site XP Z still in the top 3 or top 5.
I think this year will be tough year for samsung why??
All big manufacturers will release the real (the best) 2013 flagship.
Combine with great mid end and low end phone.
plus Tegra 4 and S800 will be unleash.
So Samsung will not only the coolest kid on the block literally!!!
Damn... this year will be the perfect time for me to replace my plastic toy with the real ''Premium Smartphone''
44. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Dear samsung fanboy let me give you the prove that XP Z still in the battle.
No. 1) Sony Xperia Z
No. 2) Sony Xperia V
Both of them water and dust resistant smartphone
45. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
1. Okay thanks for that.
2. Xz has a something like a sheet above its display so there are users who suffer from scratches, if im not mistaken.. its back is made of gorlla glass 2 whch is somewhat not that super strrong against scratches. . And i read some users who had broken screens already in talk.sonymobile.
And samsung strong polycarbonate plastc can be easily replaced :)
3. Yah all phones have distnct features, but what i wanna say is that s4 and htc one are the only items being compared hotly as d best phone ryt now, accept it
And for ur comment #44, im not referring to Sales as indcator of being d 2013's flagship.. im refrring to how htc one and s4 handle to be d greatest ryt now in reviews :)
50. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
You are not wrong its a shatter proof sheet, i think every sony device have it and thats a good thing because sony knows that durable glass doesn't mean unbreakable.
It can be easly to remove if you not like it.
Gorilla glass is scratch resistant glass not 100% scracth proof, even diamond still can be scratched.
XP Z will survive for normal drop test and scratches sure it will breaks if you do some extrem test like some crazy guy on youtube
there is no such a thing called ''samsung strong polycabonate''
and samsung is not the only ''plastic'' phone with removeable battery
The problem is on ''samsung weak construction'' Compare to Nokia and Sony,
Samsung is the worst when it comes to build quality (samsung flagship is not premium nor durable)
Yes i know that, XP Z is release to compete with GS3, Nexus 4 and other last year flagship but all those flagship still capable to compete with S4 and HTC One in terms of real life performance.
In this article we are talking about durability.
Normal test Xperia Z is better compare to Samsung flagship.
Extrem test both of them will destroy.
There is still one another flagship
LG Optimus G Pro
56. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Samsung is d worst when it comes to build quality??
hmm pls argue with urself.. as long as my note2 feels so solid. :)
XP Z isnt released to compete w/ gs3 thats my opinion, 1080p battle is on d scene :)
no, my first argment is "XZ is now out of the present debate/battle for the android flagship title 2013 bcoz of so many major shortcomings"
it's not just abt durability, its XZ's shortcomings as a 2013 player :)
normal test extreme test chu chu,, we still dont know, can we wait for some test b4 driving into conclusion ? :) all i know is gorilla glass3 is strong, and plastc wudnt be destroyed in drop test :)
61. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
woow solid how about we compare that note 2 with acro s and lumia 920 you tell me wich one more durable???
2012 is the first 1080p phone (HTC DNA/butterfly) did HTC release that to compete with S4 no is not. and if you google it you will find that XPZ design is coming from 2012 sony design labs, + it uses 2012 SOCs you are soo cluless if you think it XPZ is release to compete with S4 and HTC One.
GG3 still be able to scratched, and can be broken, Corning said durable doesn't mean unbreakable, plastic will be damage in any drop test.
Overall XP Z is more durable because it will survive from normal accidental drop, its screatch, water and dust resistant even XP Z will survive from boil test
Hammer drop test is not a normal test
57. pyradark (Posts: 852; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
" im not referring to Sales as indcator of being d 2013's flagship.. im refrring to how htc one and s4 handle to be d greatest ryt now in reviews :) " LOL!!
HTC one got 9.5/10 rating on all sites and sell 1 Million in 2013. Congrats to your comment bcoz HTC is falling on the bottom rock. No matter how great its is on the review, SALES is a MOST important, bcoz that will keep the phone alive and kickin butts.
62. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
huh retarded?? in my comments im praising htc one and gs4 haha, for now htc one and gs4 are d greatest..
@yudi-nemesis, still gs4 and htc one are on d labs during 2012, samsung and htc just managed to grab the 2013's latests,,
goin to camera, XZ is inferior,,
sound quality, XZ is inferior
display, XZ is inferior..
software bugs, XZ has many
etc and those arent based on 2012 or 2013, Sony XZ should know how to managed these things..
okay ill stop arguing w/ that durability, i dont have proof
47. XaErO (Posts: 319; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
No offence !!
I'm not a Samsung fan .. but I wonder, how people can predict something which has not even announced/showcased in the market (or leaked by any chance) ..
And even more, they can compare it with anything & comment on it so confidently ..
Keep it up .. it is fun to read these comments !!
16. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 348; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Longshot- maybe they'll debut the new design! Lol
19. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
unibody??? are you really read the article???
Hahaha... You so funny kid
22. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Goodluck making a removable back water proof device.
27. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
i really have no idea what are you talking about.
But Just stop your stupidity please!!!
26. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
see what happens when u guys don't wait
15. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Hmm great move by samsung with nano coating maybe not gonna fix plasticky feeling but if samsung use Dunkable™ from P2i at least it will be water resistant
21. jsdechavez (Posts: 731; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Samsung is stirring the skeptics and the undecided. They'd probably come up with a lower-tier device. They can't do glass. They can't do metal. Or proper colors. Or anything really stylish. They'd need "help" again with this one. Next please.
24. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The glass on the S4 is the only phone using Gorrila glass 3, There is metal on the s4/s3 people are just to blind to notice that the band between the back and glass is metal, amoleds cost more to make than the LCD screens, most people would rather have saturated colors than natural like HTC uses, if you base a phone off "Style" you probably also value your phone with a "swag points" system and own a pairs of beats and like apple.
29. papss (unregistered)
Or maybe he wants a phone with no cheap Walmart spray paint when he spends that much on a phone or flexing or creaking.. Just saying not every person wants the same damn phone.. Stop acting as if SS pays you
33. chocolaking (Posts: 494; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Why would someone buy a phone when the phone can't even display a natural colour?
And can u stop being as if SS pays you.
You are not fooling anyone here.
36. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
duhh what did u just say??
"Why would someone buy a phone when the phone can't even display a natural colour?"
woahh, Super Amoled is being known for its WOW factor,, we Amoled lovers love how the colors pop out,, we dont care a lot abt natural colors, yet SuperAMoled has the ability to tune down d color saturation and make it more natural..
66. BadAssAbe (Posts: 456; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Natural Color, Like black? Or do you like the dark grey on all LCD screens
23. andro. (Posts: 1998; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Was speaking to samsung reps today, the rugged s4 will be a little but not too much bigger than the standard s4. It will be entirely network carrier decision to stock or not. The s4 itself is a lonely phone to hold and use!
28. papss (unregistered)
I might consider a SS product if they make it look and feel what I would consider a quality phone. This might be an interesting summer for me. I don't particularly like amoled screens as I much prefer LCD tech
31. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, xperia z is still better
38. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
even w/o that waterproof thing, no doubt gs4 is far superior than XZ,,
go into reality
32. kobainez (Posts: 429; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Ohh waterprooof phones... No wonder samsung is such a copycat. Dont say that Sony didnt invent the waterproof phone first but its the first high end smartphone phones globally that is water+dust resistance and Samdung try to copy it
42. pyradark (Posts: 852; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
no need to worry, see all sammy water & dust proof phone(UGLY, No one buys)
compare to sony active, Go , acro S and the beast Z, they cant even beat the looks of the first tough phone of sony, the Active.
if they bring some new materials and looks with S4 rugged, then Bravo sammy you finally did it and you deserve on the top. but IF NOT, hahahaha sammy fans butt hurt again.
37. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
still haters are pretty interested at reading d artcle :)
40. mydi.maus (unregistered)
s4 copy xperia z