Samsung reportedly trying new Android UI for its upcoming smartphones
0. phoneArena 07 Jan 2014, 08:54 posted on
The alleged new UI looks simpler and more elegant than Samsung's current TouchWiz interface. It remains to be seen if this will be included on new handsets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. techaman (unregistered)
i think its still crap really upsetting if this is it, what about tizen 3.4?
15. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Well, I agree with daniel. Looks very very sleek, and with right wallpaper it would look great. But maybe icons should have more contrast and look less hologrammy. But yeah, I like it.
59. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2249; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I agree,... Looks dull , like iOS 7 icons
22. brar.arsh (Posts: 200; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Are you serious? What major differences do you spot? It's the same 4 column launcher with semi transparent status bar.
Only the Icon changes and few crappy bloatware apps/widgets?
What's revolutionary, I want to see what you saw.
This can be done on a CM ROM with a theme on it.
46. wildfiregt (Posts: 166; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
This is Android ,that's it
People say they find Touchwiz ugly when they can change wallpaper and themes. And those people are the one on phonearena and similair blogs who don't even own a samsung device
52. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
I've owned the S3 and I own the S4 and Touchwiz is really ugly. Samsung is doing something wrong if the first thing you think of when getting the phone is to download a custom launcher to change how everything looks. It's too bad Nova can't make the notification shade and settings menu less tacky.
23. akki20892 (Posts: 3900; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Finally Sammy did great job. Let's wait and see what's new in this new ui design.
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10434; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Couldn't agree more. This looks elegant, simple, and clean. KitKat font + redesign = TouchWiz UX 3.0 ----> Galaxy S5.
27. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1344; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Ohhh i like it too look very polished and elegant
this news just made me post, after a long time....
hope it come true even better...
38. saffant (Posts: 271; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
No it doesn't. People just hate TW for the sake of hating something.
44. lallolu (Posts: 453; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
You are so right. I have always wondered why people complain so much about TW. I do not think it is ugly like some people claim. I also got tired of it when I had galaxy S but then I knew it was not the fault of the launcher but my own issue of quickly getting bored with things. I have used HTC phones whcih I believe also have a beautiful and useful UI. I have used stock is neat but very basic (as it should). I believe normal (everyday) which constitute the majority of phone users are pretty ok with Samsung's TW.
2. crazymonkey05 (Posts: 178; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
I like touchwiz if they can get it to be more ram efficient and smooth I think people will like it.
3. shrimpanzee (Posts: 18; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
If this is how it looks, I think it looks like one of the coolest UI designs! I really like the look, for some reason it seems very attracting to me. From the lock screen to the home screens it seems very edgy, l would enjoy it on my S5! I hope it won't make my device lag like it did for my S4 /:
4. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
a bit of ios7 and sailfish ui but i like it
5. tech2 (Posts: 3349; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
lol....how does it resemble to ios 7 ? I see no gradient icons here. Also, the icons look very sharp which is very unlike ios7
6. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
the space wallpaper (can be justified because this is a galaxy) and the neutral tones +ios 7 clock
13. tech2 (Posts: 3349; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Aqua blue wallpaper doesn't mean space. Also, Samsung is using that colour since S3.
Neutral tones = colour that does not attract attention.
ios 7 uses gradient colours which are anything but neutral. E.g. Green gradient in phone icon.
ios 7 clock ? Have no idea what u are referring to here.
19. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
33. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 800; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Whats your point?
You mean to say that blue, green, space wallpaper, fonts, digital clock are all patented by Apple?
So no one can use colours???? Nonsense..
36. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Samsung still lacks a signature design , so its not copied but inspired ......
40. superduper (Posts: 151; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
The dock icons at the bottom (Magazine, Phone, Message, Internet) have gradient colors. The typography is now very slender. The lock screen features a slim, centered clock at the top and a "Swipe screen to unlock" prompt at the bottom. And all within months of the iOS 7 refresh coincidentally.....
56. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
The typography and the centered clock are features of stock Android. The "Swipe screen to unlock" prompt at the bottom is on every galaxy device.
I'm not sure why they went with gradient dock icons. It looks out of place compared to the stock Android icons.
24. akki20892 (Posts: 3900; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Swipe screen to unlock. Lol is it new ios8?
34. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 800; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Right..!!! Bcoz Only iOS uses swipe to unlock..!!!
Clearly Apple copied Samsung's lockscreen of swipe to unlock in iOS7
49. ecmedic4 (Posts: 324; Member since: 02 May 2013)
The iPhone has said "slide to unlock" since the very first iPhone.
39. saffant (Posts: 271; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
In that case iOS design to include toggles is "inspired" from Android. Same goes for notification menu, swipe from bottom lockscreen (Windows phone) and the icons from meego.
8. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 580; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
It does look like iOS7. Flat and gradient stock icons. Yes, many use flat icons but most use a solid color in their stock icons. Stop the fanboy blindness and you'll definitely say that it really does.
9. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 580; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Even the cloudy galaxy wallpaper is iOS7-ish. IMO, but it really, really resembles iOS7. :/ I want it in my Note 3 though. XD
10. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Thank God. The Current UI is one of the main reasons I don't like Samsung Devices.
11. jellmoo (Posts: 1486; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
"Are you tired of Samsung’s TouchWiz UI?"
Is... Is that some sort of trick question? Is there somebody that isn't?
This looks like it could have potential. Definitely needs a more unified icon scheme, and the continued use of neon green for the battery makes me worried.
I wonder how long it is before LG decides to copy it?
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10434; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Um.. Me? Am I the only one that still loves TW?
31. jellmoo (Posts: 1486; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Nah, I'm sure there are others. Maybe the only one that doesn't work for Samsung, but I digress... ;)
42. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3713; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I have no issues with it. I think it looks fine. It's the most fully featured UI out there. In the end, isn't that what it's all about with Android? Choice? The more the better, I say.
51. AntiFanBoyz (unregistered)
I think TW looks just fine. I find stock too plain and my iPhone 5 iconography is atrocious. Probably like the look of Sony UI the best. But, what's it really matter when you can change up the whole damn thing?
61. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
TW was just totally redesigned with the GS3. That actually isn't that long ago considering sense was never totally redesigned until the HTC One and IOS stayed the same from IOS1 - IOS 6 and finally got totally redesigned with IOS 7.
So no, most people should not be sick of the Nature UX yet since its actually pretty new......
This seems like another case of Samsung hate because they are number 1 in the Android world and their favorite company is not number 1.
It seems like the only two things people can complain about is plastic and touchwiz and they really like to emphasize their hate for those two things basically.
12. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
You can actually have a sneak peak at the new Tablet UI on the new tab videos, it's pretty cool.
14. YodhaMali (Posts: 49; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Elegant? Bwhahaha! Sony's UI is what you call elegant. Samsung better get rid of the cartoonish icons in its current Touchwiz UI.
16. power_x (Posts: 264; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
hmmmm , where did I see this wallpaper before ?
where did I see these flat icons before ?
where did I read "Swipe Screen To Unlock" before ?
And then they said , Apple copied Samsung
17. power_x (Posts: 264; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
don't get me wrong though , I love this new UI it is much better than TouchWiz
35. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 800; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Wallpaper--on my Windows desktop..
Flat icons-- on my Windows desktop..
Swipe to unlock screen-- On samsung's touchwiz since 2011.. Apple copied the same in iOS7...
48. ecmedic4 (Posts: 324; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Not sure what you mean by Apple copied touchwiz when I'm very certain that the iPhone has said "slide to unlock" since the very first iPhone.
53. ePoch270 (Posts: 168; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
No, Pretty sure it had the "arrow" unlock first then "Slide to unlock", both within a defined space. Sammi has used the "Swipe to unlock" from an undefined area for it's last several iterations.
60. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Flat icons from stock android,
Swipe screen to unlock is in samsung phones from TW 2.0....
Walpapers those kind of walpapers(blue) is already in TW nature UX...
18. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Dock icons stolen from Sailfish Alpha. Transparency is quite obvious that both Apple and Samsung have stolen from both Nokia (Maemo 5) and Jolla (Sailfish). Dumdums
20. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
I wish someone would hurry up and make Android icons all the same shape and size instead of this mess.
28. quakan (Posts: 1357; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Hope this isn't the final UI. Looks bad to me.
29. elitewolverine (Posts: 5076; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Looks meh to me, tired of simple icons, and the news feed photo looks like a windows tile phone...
32. nctx77 (Posts: 1697; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Are you freaking kidding me?!? Now they are copying ios 7. Ok I understand Apple doesn't own a patent for that design, but man can this company come up with its own ideas? Man.... First the 8.4 looks like the ipad mini, now this!
62. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol how does the 8.4 look like the mini?
37. clevername (Posts: 1436; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Completely different? It looks like a transparent touchwiz with new widget styles. Still a lame UI.
41. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Not too bothered about UI these days. The reason i moved away samsung (bespoke) phones to the nexus range is because of the insanely high amounts of bloatware that came with each handset. Im not saying its just samsung who does it but they certainly have more than others.
43. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
brace yourselves ...Samsung paid trolls are one their way
45. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Experiment with, using less and do more.
50. rightcue805 (Posts: 55; Member since: 08 Jul 2013)
You guys are a bunch of clowns, good god if you don't like it... Don't buy it/use it. for christ sakes, all you guys do is find something to bitch about. get a frarking life