Samsung replies to Galaxy S4 limited storage accusations, says go get a microSD card
0. phoneArena 03 May 2013, 07:01 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S4 is already here, but if you pick up the 16GB model, you are in for a little disappointment…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KashAli (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
Reduce the price too!!! its whopping £600 !!!
8. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Then you need to wait for the Samsung Galaxy S5 to be released, then the Galaxy S4's price will be reduced! :)
137. joey_sfb (Posts: 4999; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Well, proved with the S3 price adjustment. S3 is still good for most people day to day use.
S4 is really for early adopters and they do have to pay more and suffer more as well. Note 2 price has also been adjusted so I think best buy for Samsung device would be Note 2.
146. apple4never (Posts: 1060; Member since: 08 May 2013)
but really who needs an octa core phone in the first place, altough no sense in shelling out the same for an iphone, just saying.
17. haney.alsaaidy (Posts: 17; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
i've bought international version for 750$
51. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered, Exynos version, not Crpdrgn™
65. hipnotika (Posts: 353; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
crpdrgn is better than hotty sauges exyNOSSSSS
70. SleepingOz (unregistered)
99. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1496; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Well, at least in the GPU the Snapdragon 600 is more powerful. And Adreno 320 is the only mobile GPU that supports OpenGL 3.0, all others only support OpengGL 2.1.
It also supports OpenCL 1.2 while others only support 1.1
So at least in GPU Qualcomm has the advantage both in power and in features.
71. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Really, is that why the 1.9 S600 vs E5410 pure A15 vs half A15 and A9 still lost by 300 points! Now just imagine the E5410 Exynos was clocked at 1.9, scores would reach 33000.
You're saying S600 is better than a pure A15, what a joke, please do some research, befor posting™
79. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Till this very day, i still wonder why PA didn't ban you yet
75. Shubham412302 (Posts: 419; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
snapdragon gpu is better than powervr.
the s4 on the top of 3dmark is snapdragon one and not exynos one.
and for geeks good news is snapdragon one supports official cm and exynos dose not.
though both are best
124. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Exynos is great, but Snapdragon is good and always improving
63. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
its $700 over here the international version
128. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
If the Snapdragon 600 was better the South Korean S4 would of been a Snapdragon 600 not an Exynos 5. South Korea always gets the best version of a Samsung phone, simple as that. Also the Exynos 5 GPU is more powerful than adreno 320.
People going off the 3dmark benchmark must also believe the note 2 has the worst gpu in any smartphone because it gets 9fps. Even though it between adreno 220 and adreno 320.
147. zhiae (unregistered)
we sell it for 645$ dude ''octa''
22. Kurai (unregistered)
Customer: plastic design? again?
Samsung: Go get a goddamn gold casing if you want
26. samsungisthebest (Posts: 4; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
Plastic is lighter and good durability for a smartphone
32. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
If you're talking about Nokia's plastics or HTC's or Sony's then yes. If about Samsung, then the joke's on you.
69. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Samsung? plastic ? Durable ?
134. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3101; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
The only thing that breaks on the SGS4 and on previous generations is the GLASS display itself. That is because Gorilla Glass 2-3 have been extremely disappointing and somehow more fragile than the original Gorilla Glass.
Samsung does NOT make Gorilla Glass, however they are making a bendable display that will resolve that issue.
If you would stop trolling for a second and actually watch any drop test videos of the SGS3/SGS4, you will see that the display ONLY breaks when it's dropped face first or on the corners of the display itself. It barely even gets a scratch when it's dropped any other way, unlike the iPhone and other devices that use "premium" materials in their design.
101. Muayyad (Posts: 229; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
S4 is more fragile than any older Samsung devices! I would say Note II gets the credit.
114. mahawa (Posts: 6; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Note 2 is by far the best Samsung has ever produced .... The S4 is just a Fu*king joke .
41. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1105; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Samsung is getting greedy and as arrogant as Apple, this reminds me of the "You are holding it wrong".
73. jackhammer91 (Posts: 21; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
checkout the official statement in inverted comas not just the crap written by VICTOR wHore as the title to start a comment war(for getting more traffic by people like yourself)
105. donfem (Posts: 618; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
You actually need to see the light. Can you tell a car manufacturer what should be in the hood of the car or what the engine should be made of?
118. jibraihimi (Posts: 742; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
I was going to say the same thing, but you stole the words from my hands.... :)
'holding it wrong', 'buy a case'; and now 'buy a card' from samsung....... I think arrogance comes naturally with success..........
125. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
You're dead wrong about it, Samsung offers you bang for buck. Whereas Apple only cares about highest profit margin.
127. ecmedic4 (Posts: 307; Member since: 02 May 2013)
How is using half the devices internal memory for gimmicks that they call "features" the bang for your buck? Apps get bigger in size all the time, especially with screen resolution at 1080p now, I would rather have more memory then silly gimmicks, if i want to scroll on my phone ill just use my finger, the phone is made for touching it, and its just as fast if not faster.
62. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
same price as GS3 you troll!! get a life, stop taking your parents money and get a job while your at it.
74. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
This kind of attitude is not good samsung... respect your customers ....For every problem they give arrogant answers ..they never said we will try to resolve the issue .... always " Buy our products ...but don't expect anything "
90. sharks (Posts: 215; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Samsung is clearly getting a little bit ahead of itself and being a pompous ass.
For starters, since we're in 2013 and Samsung being well aware that its Android+TouchWiz software is seriously eating up the internal memory inside the S4, the 16GB version should have been phased out and instead only the 32GB and 64GB versions should be retained. Nowadays, 9GB of free memory on a 16GB device is too limited and most people who consume a lot of media on their smartphones would agree about being severely restricted. Based on Samsung's arrogant reply to its consumers... I would say it should offer an apology as well as do something about it by offering a bundle of at least 8GB SD card with its 16GB S4 offering, to make up for the precious internal memory space lost.
98. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Samsung is correct that internal memory is less than the actual memory in the specs. I just bought microSD card 64 GB only $60 but the actual memory is only 59 GB for my Galaxy S4. So stop complaining about intetnal memory decreased.
100. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
If you want sufficient storage then get a micro SD card. If you want wireless charging then buy a wireless charging case. Samsung is pulling an EA games with these microtransactions and it's a damn shame.
2. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
Bloatwares wasted sooo mucch space. If you want to get most of the memory root it and remove the Bloatwares. You can also get 64gb card.
7. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Only 8.8 Gb available out of 16 is a joke; one of my 16Gb phones had 12.2 out of box. That includes 5 bloatwares installed (which i removed later). S4 itself has a few of these 'features' which is pure gimmick to me and of no or limited practical use.
3. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
A super fast dirt cheap UHS-I class MicroSD should do the trick.
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
How about a 64GB Sandisk Ultra MicroSD card?
27. tech2 (Posts: 3165; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Ultra is just a marketing gimmick. Go for Class 1
72. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
And really, how many people don't already have a MicroSD card? It is not as if MicroSD cards just hit the market. I purchased a 32 Gb card last year when I purchased my GS III. When the GS III was sold, the MicroSD card stayed with me.
91. roscuthiii (Posts: 2027; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Damn little things seem to multiply don't they? I've got a few SD cards laying around... one of which I have no idea where it came from; has pictures and other stuff on there of people I don't even know.
119. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Any of your friends asking about a missing MicroSD card?
4. Galen20K (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Dec 2008)
ha! Samsung's version of "You're holding it wrong". Oh you tech companies lol
85. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
I can see Steve Jobs rising from his grave to sue Samsung since "You're holding it wrong" is patented
5. papss (unregistered)
Nice... Fanboys will spine this I'm sure...
6. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
If this would have been Apple or someone else, most of them would have said "It's a rip-off, breach of trust and let's sue them". But since its Samsung and android, these things won't apple, and most of them are going to be pretty fine with this (and Samsung's statement).
10. rishabh_2795 (Posts: 24; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
atleast it has a mico SD expansion :/ otherwise people would have really gone mad about it. anyways options are rooting the phone and using the SDswap application and njoy the extra storage :D
9. jromy (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
Well, yeah...that's what the damn microSD slot is for! If you have the option to expand why not take it?
38. LumiaLover (Posts: 160; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
If you purchased this phone, wouldn't you feel you are being ripped? You are paying for 16GB and only getting 9. Forget the expandable memory, it's the principle of the thing...and this obviously applies to all phone / PC manfuacturers. Why should you pay for something you aren't getting.
115. iushnt (Posts: 1330; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
I will buy keeping 9 GB in mind and get an extra memory card. I wont feel any ripped as people even pay more money for iPhones..
122. jromy (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
well, you're not paying only for the 16 GB, you're paying for the features and performance. You're not even paying for the "premium" look that so many bitch about. If you're not paying for what those 7GB can do with the hardware then go and get an HTC ONE or an iphone, I'm sure that the 16 GB models of those phones have exactly 16 GB of free memory so you get exactly what you're paying for, right?
11. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Apple's antenna problem >>> they wanted to sell iCondoms.
Galaxy S4's space issue >>> Samsung wanted to sell micro SD cards (of course, when there's lots of other brands to choose from).
But, if you want to record 1080p videos by default to the sd card (while it multitasks some installed apps at the same time) it needs to be fast enough. Class 10 MicroSD cards are very expensive.
14. ronjr123 (Posts: 72; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
64 GB Class 10 can be bought at amazon for less than a $1.00 a gig. Not expensive at all.
81. NewTone (Posts: 21; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
you have to watch out for fake cards though, ive bought cards that were made to say 32gb but it was only 2gb and it just kept overwriting the data i was saving