Samsung remains deaf to Galaxy S III build quality issues
0. phoneArena 07 Aug 2012, 07:23 posted on
A few weeks ago we informed you that a lot of Galaxy S III users seem to be having troubles with the build of their devices. Most of the issues had to do with cracks appearing around the camera area and on the sides of the handset...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. android_hitman (unregistered)
thats why i bought a HTC ONE X .. i am sick of sammy's crappy build quality
2. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Everyone say "I bought Samsung Galaxy S III" or "I bought HTC One X" does someone bought LG Optimus 4X HD ? :)
4. android_hitman (unregistered)
i held in hand one and honestly ... i don't like the feel ..but the screen is gorgeous
9. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Agree, I also don't like design of LG Optimus 4X HD and build quality is doubtful and yes, screen is gorgeous.
I have heard so many people complaining that HTC One X doesn't have removable battery and memory card slot, but LG Optimus 4X HD have both and removable battery and memory card slot. Maybe LG just not popular, I don't know. :)
16. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 418; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Yeah, they don't take much of the spotlight. But they still make great phones. Specially in the Displays category.
33. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 418; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Yeah, NOVA displays are awesome. I hope LG would make a full size monitor using NOVA technology. Or is there one already?
21. mercorp (Posts: 1030; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Optimus 4x is super value for money.
This phone actually rocks my boat more than the s3.
(BTW,I have 2 cousins who use the s3 and they are not complaining about built quality.)
23. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Maybe you are using LG Optimus 4X HD ?
I have heard that it is really fast to charge LG Optimus 4X HD battery.
34. andro. (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
We've had about 3-4 galaxy s3 returns overall,one for dead pixels in the screen,the others for general software issues but considering the volume we've sold tgats an extremely low returns amount. We have had nobody back with built quality issues or cracks so this issue is certain new to me. It could perhaps be a particular serial number batch at fault.
49. TortillaSlap (Posts: 43; Member since: 05 Aug 2012)
Its probably an early adopter's batch. That happens with EVERY new device.
That said, Sammy needs to do the right thing and get them fixed for free.
If they come out and say "your dropping it wrong", then they will be officially copying Apple.. lol.
36. ryq24 (Posts: 731; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
yup! LG seems to have an image problem. they cant seem to be able to beat samsung. they need to change their marketing team and also improve their after sales service..
60. ECPirate37 (Posts: 196; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
For me, I refuse to ever own an LG again, because I purchased one of their phones (the Vu) specifically for the tv function. That worked great. However, the phone gave me problems and when I called LG they scoffed, and wanted me to spend more money. Since then, I have only bought htc, and been a lot happier.
14. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I'm glad you added that part about the screen.
70. dragonstkdgirl (Posts: 144; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
I work for a VZW retailer and the moment we got our demo in I took the back off the phone to put the battery in the phone and thought I was going to break the back because the plastic was so thn and flimsy. I love Sammy's screen tech but tired of them using plastic.
I'll stick with my Razr MAXX any day of the week. The build materials just feel so much more solid.
102. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
the backs are flimsy but they are that really good plastic and they wont break that easy and have good memorso that bending it wont warp the shape. I wish if samsung did copy anything apple did that the materials would be one of them. Apple makes a lot of money on ther phones and still has premium qualit materiaals
18. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Every day I'm starting more and more look at the Motorola's side, good build quality, strong radio, good GPS module, huge capacity batterys. Also now Motorola belongs for Google so, I guess now updates should come faster. Why not, what you think people? :)
47. g_mosh (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Jul 2012)
I just pulled a 2 day, 15 Hr run on my Maxx's battery :)
Still, built quality is something I most definitely keep in mind when deciding on a telephone.
I was about to get the Slll, then saw the reports of the construction issues, asked some friends that already had them. It came down to "Awesome performance and potential, but it feels somewhat cheap".
Motorola needs to open bootloaders for all their upcoming devices and work more on the battery approach, they already had the "Premium" feel on their upper level devices.
41. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I like Sony Xperia S display and camera quality is good also design and build quality not bad but for some reasons I don't like transparent plastic line at the bottom. :/
42. wendygarett (unregistered)
R U KIDDING?
I don't blame you anyway... It's all about personal preference... But I love it!!!
44. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Agree, it depends on personal preference. I don't know, for me that transparent plastic line at the bottom just ruin all good looking design it's like a spoon of oil tar in a barrel of honey. :(
71. Atlas (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
Sony should make an S replica, without the transparent strip. With more sensitive buttons, a thinner bezel and slightly rounded edges(Not as round as the SIII's).
72. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Agree, that would be good looking device.
104. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
but you noticed that the xperia's S screen is a little washed out compared with gs3 , one x , 4xhd or even motorola razr ?
10. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I agree, I also don't like Samsung Galaxy S III build quality, it is very "fragile", but talking about Samsung Galaxy S II, build quality was good enough. What you think?
35. ObjectivismFTW (Posts: 211; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
People seem to not realize that both phones are made out of the same Polycarbonate plastic (for those who believe the One X isn't made out of plastic, Polycarbonate IS a plastic). The only reason that the S3 feels like plastic is because of the HyperGlaze coating. Not to hadcore defend Samsung or anything, and I have a Galaxy S3 myself, it does feel very fragile, but I haven't dropped it yet, so I cannot assess it's build quality
38. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes I know that they are both built of Polycarbonate but built quality also depends on construction.
Talking about Samsung, I think tahat Samsung Galaxy S III is more fragile than Samsung Galaxy S II.