Samsung releases design video for the Galaxy S4: 'not a radical difference, more of an evolution'
1. hung2900 (Posts: 801; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Having S4, like the feeling very much but the points in this video I think ridiculous.
5. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Maybe less changes in the design make loyal SS users feel right at home. But this isn't the risk free approach as it may seem. Apple knows it now, SS has started feeling the heat a little.
I think if they release S5 with same design again then they'll be in nasty trouble. Changing design language may fend off some of the customers, but may attract many more new.
18. Daftama (Posts: 563; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
The design of s5 will be one of kind..bendable display
50. chocolaking (Posts: 453; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Lol!! It was the same video used for S3 maybe, and now using it again for Sfall.. maybe next year you will the same video for S5 too!
52. Dastrix (Posts: 596; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
After their so-called soy-based 100% recyclable boxes, one may wonder what else they are going to recycle.. Videos!
58. Dastrix (Posts: 596; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Haha, thanks! I just looked back at what Samsung did with its boxes!
56. GTR722 (Posts: 236; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
lol this, dont wory Samsung, you have sites like this one to praise every thing you do.
2. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 366; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
After watching the whole thing, I thought this is straight copied from Apple. I went to the AT&T store and checked out the phone myself on the Saturday morning. Talking about evolution?
4 letters: S T F U
19. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 366; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
Waka waka... the screen obviously is impressive. I wish I have the time to listen to the audio quality. I didn't care much about loudspeaker. Many online had already show the quality of the camera. Phone is so fast, there's no need to test it. All those "so-called" new features are pretty much all gimmick-y to me. If I have the S4, I will turn them all off to save my battery.
At last, about the build quality, it completely embarrasses the company as a whole. The GS3/Note 2 have a good feeling on hand at least. GS4? I can't even recall when was the last time I felt such... cheap plastic...
25. Lboogey6 (Posts: 266; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
So what I understood is you want an iPhone.... rock body no features... What I'm trying to figure out is what makes it so bad to have a plastic phone?
28. teerex42 (Posts: 159; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
There's nothing wrong with it and for the last f'ing time it isn't plastic...it's poly-carbonate BIG difference.
37. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
I honestly don't know where the idea of Samsung is cheap plastic. Like 20% of the phones body is polycarbonate so the back can be removed, under that is a piece of plastic covering the motherboard, designed to make opening the phone very easy by removing some screws. A majority of it is glass on the front and the ALUMNIUM between the screen/backplate.
Remember: HTCs phones last year used Polycarbonate, the "king" of phone build quality Nokia uses polycarbonate too.
The main difference between the S4 and S3 is that the S4 fells like a much higher quality device when holding it.
Before anyone comes in here with their HTC One BS, the total amount of plastic used inside the HTC One (hidden by a thin layer of alumnium) is more than the amount of plastic used in the S4/S3.
53. chocolaking (Posts: 453; Member since: 22 May 2012)
You have to understand the design philosophy behind every highend smart phone.
Why does it feel cheap.. it's not what the designer trying to show.
but it's the result of how consumer felt.
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 11769; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
What I'm saying is I saw no reason to sell my note 2 for this.
43. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 366; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
All I want is a rock body construction with the GS4. You get the point?
Rather than choose one or another, can I have both?
46. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The S4 does feel rock solid, it is a much better built device than the S3.
47. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 366; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
What I meant is the premium feel. I want to feel the aluminum, not freaking POLY-CARBONATE.
It was so disappointing to hold the phone on hand. It's like buying a car. Everyone has their own personal taste when it comes to purchase a car. Looking at GS4 as a Toyota (solid, but not much luxury you can mention) vs Lexus (Luxury and solid). If the HTC One do not suffer in the battery management issue, I will definitely get that one
55. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
They make metal backs for the S4/S3 etc, guess you are a unaware.
59. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 366; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
If an OEM expects us to buy a back ourselves, then they might as well save the money and have us consumers buy it on our own . . .
3. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
when it comes to iPhone: Revolutionary all new design
Samsung:The evolutionary design
Sammy is following the footsteps of apple
38. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Actually HTC copied Apple more than Samsung. Who is the only other company using an aluminum device with dual speakers? The truth hurts.
44. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Yep, apple is aluminum with Dual Speakers.. Because the grill at the bottom is stereo.. Damn you're so fuucking smart.. My mind is shattered like the HD television..
4. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
they are saying life partner as if the SGS4 is gonna be my wife
9. ITEngineer (Posts: 54; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
Short term marriage...After two years.
Listen phone, ehmm i found someone new.
27. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
its a life companion, not a 'life partner'... i'm quite sure GS4 is more loyal than your wife...
6. tiara6918 (Posts: 1438; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Honestly Samsung,I started stopping being a Samsung fanboy when you did that designed for humans,inspired by nature thing. I don't like that approach and also with that "life companion". Can't you think of something different?
7. baller23 (Posts: 23; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
First copied the software, then the Hardware strategy and now the ads. Whats coming next sammy?
8. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
samsung is not the same anymore they make everything the same they give up. i don't know what happaned to them if they are lazy or give up or what who knows but they don't impress as a company anymore
41. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
well, apple won't show any new innovation yet...therefore, nothings for sammy to copy...
10. tadaa (Posts: 249; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
"like nothing you've seen before" yeah right
11. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Yeah Samsung, S4's design is totally new, never seen like it before.
12. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
I bet they put more effort in making this video than actually designing the phone
45. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
At least we know who are the ones responsible for the design flop..
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 11769; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I stopped this video 53 seconds in, cuz all I saw is an apple inspired knockoff video. Samsung you're starting to taper off.
16. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 432; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Wow. A design we have never seen before? Oh wait! Look! There's the Galaxy S III and a bar of soap.
17. khmer (Posts: 93; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
You have a choice if you don't like Galaxy S4 buy a different phone. If you don't like plastic phone go ahead buy an aluminum or metal phone but when you put the plastic case on it, will look no different between those materials.
20. chemhaz (Posts: 160; Member since: 04 May 2012)
It reminds me of the subtle design changes seen between the Nokia N95 to N96... mostly the same shape just a little sexier and much stronger as it evolved.
21. poping (unregistered)
my voucher is a week from now... the excitement is really killing me... next week i will be holding this beauty in my hands....
22. poping (unregistered)
i want white... no wait... i want black... no wait... black or white?
23. tiara6918 (Posts: 1438; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Go get a black or white then put a case that's either black or white. There,you have two colors if you can't choose one
26. poping (unregistered)
you are a genius... !
29. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
I don't know. I'm really torn on this. I think samsung should have put more effort into the design
32. Klamba92 (Posts: 200; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
It's sad that Samsung have kept a similar design, however its not identical like say the iPhone 4 to 4s or the HTC one x to one x+. However you also need to remember that the s3 was its best selling smartphone, so of course they will keep the same design as they want to remain familiar without say alienating their customers. in addition not annoying people who got the s3 or note 2. If Samsung keep the same design language next year well then that will be an incredibly stupid decision and will lose customers because of that!
39. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The design is rectangular now not curved, the device is also thinner, longer, thinner bezels. The device doesn't look the best but it is the best design for holding I have ever seen in a phone. When holding the S4 in person it feels much more durable and is very comfortable to use compared side to side to the s3 it feels completely different.
33. Shaznek (Posts: 43; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Samsung mobile puts money on a design division , lol that s funny.....and sad.
40. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The design went into how comfortable the phone was to hold. The S4 is the king of comfortably. There is more to design than looks, take the HTC One for example it looks nices, but it feels very awkward to hold and feels clunky/uncomfortable compared to most other phones.
34. martinlosha (unregistered)
EVOLUTION MY ASS....
35. docj8404 (Posts: 72; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
I understand those that find the design of the S4 disappointment due to its close resemblance to its predecessor, however, like many above me mentioned, it would of certainly been a bigger liability for Samsung to completely revamp the design of the S4, especially in light of the kind of numbers the S3 did ( and continue to do ). Could it of used better materials? Sure, but keeping in the nature of business, the cost would of most certainly been passed down, and possibly even inflated to the end consumer - Something people would of found a reason to find even more fault with.
There's this incredibly wonderful U.S. wireless carrier known as Verizon (sarcasm) that's relatively notorious for pricing their devices $299, WITH a 2 yr commitment.. For prices along those lines, one may be better off just puttingfunds away & buying the device out of contract.
To get back on subject, poly carbonate isn't the most respected material, however it's not as horrible as many make it out to be.. Before people jump to conclusions, I recommend at least playing with the S4 in person before dismissing it as "crap"...As a proud and loyal Nexus 4 owner, I was pleasantly surprised at how attractive it is in person in addition to how nice of an upgrade it is, compared to it's older brother, the S3.
If your one of the many who feel like the S4 build quality just won't cut it, the HTC One is a viable alternative much worth the look. Options are a beautiful things.
36. bachir8k (Posts: 95; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Yes i am a Samsung Fan, but these guys should be expelled not brag about them in a video, Sammy bring new designers please.
42. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Its amazing. You guys talk about the lack of innovation in design on the S4, but why can't we talk about the iPhone! I don't even know the difference between a 4 and 4S. And don't forget, we're using a 2007 OS! :D
51. docj8404 (Posts: 72; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
...Because the vast majority of us are sick of comparing the all mighty iPhone (sarcasm) to newer devices way out of its league.
48. Dark4o90 (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Feb 2011)
you're just all fools the design is great, better than s3's polycarbonate with just gorgeous metal frame 2:50 in the video
49. kenobi (Posts: 21; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
By the facts of the end product and the effort displayed in the ad i shall conclude that they're a bunch of lifeless robots doing the stressful jobs for their employer.