Samsung poised to lead other manufacturers in emerging markets
0. phoneArena 29 Mar 2013, 19:55 posted on
The Korean giant may prove to be the manufacturer of choice for many in developing markets around the world...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. riosworos (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
In Nigeria, everyone uses a blackberry not nokia...so this report is incorrect
16. sanya_az (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
How could you say everyonr uses blackberry? where are u getting this info from?
the largest market share in Nigeria belongs to Nokia with up to 60% though in the middle and low end category while the new lumia line has started to gain traction.
2. etuoyo (Posts: 8; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Not sure I understand what is meant by Samsung does not have a market presence in Nigeria because I live in Nigeria and:
1. There are Samsung shops and repair centres and I don't believe any other manufacturer has these other than LG but I am sure they have more to do with air conditioners and very little to do with mobile devices.
2. Most people that have smart phones have a blackberry for BB messenger due to the ridiculously high cost of calling. However, most would have a second phone (almost a necessity because the mobile networks are unreliable so you need a backup of a second network provider otherwise you could find yourself incommunicado). In the past the second phone would usually be a smart or dumbphone from Nokia. However, since the Note came out that second phone is most likely to be a Note, S3 or Note 2. In the tablet sphere no tablet exists in any substantive sense other than ipad and Note 10.1.
So whether what is being referred to is shop presence or device presence Samsung definitely has a major presence in Nigeria.
3. Andrea (banned) (Posts: 52; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Samsung High tech products!
nokia very old specs limited tech!
4. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4170; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Nokia was up to par with everyone last year with their Lumia line, even excelling in some areas. Wait until they release their next generation of Lumias.
6. twens (Posts: 849; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Hehehe,about iPhones. Phone arena,Africans are very wealthy,they just don't buy iPhones cos they are crap not because they are expensive. Its time you guys stop seeing Africans like we are poor,how much is an iPhone compared to other android flagships? People down here can buy a container of iPhones if they choose,we prefer Samsung out here simple not because of price.
14. Trex95 (Posts: 681; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
LOl one of my ppl from kenya and he's a business man he told me in Africa lot of people don't prefer iPhone or Android cause it's expensive and difficult to operate specially Android.
7. weedl (Posts: 50; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
in my country almost everyone have 2 phone first is bb and second android
8. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
It's not about "affordable" it's all about "Affordable high end SPECS" Apple can never compete in that segment. And in the lower end it would have tough time competing with $200 FHD phones when profit per phone that apple wants is more than $200/Phone :)
9. aries.phills (Posts: 139; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Dear phonearena, I'm a fan of your site as I always visit it every 2 hours to read the latest mobile phone news. I live in Nigeria and I can tell you that this report is incorrect. The trend of phone choices and popularity start with nokia dominating the Nigerian market with little space for samsung, lg, etc. However, that was then. Blackberry rose to sweep the market with its frenzy; Almost every student out their wanted a phone that can ping.
Now, the coolest brand in Nigeria is Samsung Galaxy phones. Starting with Galaxy S2, Samsung marketers did an awesome job at making their phones much more desirable than any other brand. Samsung is the current big name in Nigerian mobile phone market.
10. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
In Pakistan 7 out of 10 people have a Nokia phone.
13. Rehankhan (Posts: 323; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
are you sure because i have not seen anybody with a nokia phone
sony,samsung,htc is doing great in pakistan
15. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
I am talking about Karachi.
11. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 163; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
mmm I think this isn't true
look at the badget phones where you find galaxy ace plus
you find sony xperia u and xperia j
nokia lumia 620
even alcatel 997
maybe this is just for the name or the supply
12. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Leave it to phonearena to mislead people with a BOGUS article.