Samsung patents bring a glimpse of the future: Galaxy camera smartphone and curved screen phone
The flexible-display smartphone is something we’ve been hearing long about and these latest patent filings show a lot of interesting features like the possibility to curve the screen to be concave or convex. The image gets intelligently adjusted to the screen’s form. To make this possible Samsung adds one more element to the display stack and that is a bending detection part. Bending the screen itself could be interpreted as a user interface command.
The patent for the curved display has been filed by Samsung in the United States in the third quarter of 2012, almost a year ago, but it is not a guarantee that such a device will indeed hit market soon or at all.
Equally interesting is another patent filing depicting a smartphone-like device that also features a full-on camera with optical zoom. Could this be the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom that we heard about recently? The images below bring up more questions than answers, but nonetheless they are extremely interesting, take a look below.
source: PatentBolt, Android Authority via SamMobile
Samsung patents bring a glimpse of the future
1. apple4never (Posts: 931; Member since: 08 May 2013)
QUICK sammy patent anything you might use in the next million years, othewise apple might
19. darth8ball (Posts: 519; Member since: 02 Aug 2011)
When has other companies patents ever stopped Apple from stealing and using tech for themselves?
2. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5203; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The curved screen phone is interesting and I must say that it is INNOVATION.
But the shape of the Galaxy camera smartphone is FUGLY! Just look at the butt and the boob!
Please don't tell me this is real! xP
8. tech2 (Posts: 1881; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Dude, u r obsessed with Boobs !
Its a friggin camera. It will have big lens
10. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5203; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh really? What about the Nokia 808 Pureview? Yes, the 808 is bulky, but it's lens is not too big right? Not like this Galaxy camera smartphone, big like a b**b.
This is not a friggin camera, this is a friggin camera smartphone!
13. ScottSchneider (Posts: 313; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
You must be joking right.. The Nokia 808 features a 41Mp loss less zoom SENSOR. The galaxy camera has an optical zoom, which simply means there is a bump at the back. This is the difference between the two. Probably you need to first look at the facts before commenting...
14. tech2 (Posts: 1881; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
He is just a troll ! He has something negative to say about every Samsung product without applying slightest of logic !
15. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5203; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
How is the word "INNOVATION" called trolling? You kidding me? You are obsessed with trolls!
Yes, I admit that I was wrong this time, the 808 features loss less zoom sensor, the Galaxy camera has an optical zoom, that's why there is a bump at the back. "Big like a boob" means like a brick, try making calls (hold it by your ear) with it, everyone is gonna look at you, AWKWARD faces everywhere!
You are obsessed with troll!
22. tech2 (Posts: 1881; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Of course, Big boob resembles brick and not the big round bulge of lens ?! that makes perfect sense -.-
9. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
imagine holding the galaxy cam by your ear for a call, that's the definition of a brick
3. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
i dont like d shape of dat cameraphone,, d rest im into :)
11. jromy (Posts: 113; Member since: 26 Feb 2013)
oh, you mean a square! Yeah, nothing like the rest of the camreras in I don't know...the world? but you might be onto something...how about round or cilindrical cameras huh?
12. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
uhh,, i just dont like that it looks like d galaxy camera coz for me it wont look like a smartphone.. its not ugly, and actually it looks good...
it just dont look like a beautiful smartphone camera.
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 1352; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Uh oh Samsung... Apple might not let you file these patents and sue you because there's already a bendable iphone5. Prepare to be sued in 3,2,1
5. Adithya7184 (Posts: 309; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
curved screen phone!!! Galaxy Note 3?????
23. darth8ball (Posts: 519; Member since: 02 Aug 2011)
I doubt it, rumors have the GN3 having a brushed aluminum casing
6. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
curved screen is nothing new. While the LCD on the galaxy nexus is FLAT, the screen itself is slightly curved. Same goes for the galaxy S advance.
The innovation here is a FLEXABLE screened device.
7. sergiobr (Posts: 400; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I´m waiting for the Cameraphone ! It´s my dream !
16. mrblah (Posts: 419; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
ripping off apple again i see, they have no shame
17. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
How in any way shape or form are they ripping off apple? Apple have been making the same phone for the last 6 years while play catch up with everyone else!!!
24. darth8ball (Posts: 519; Member since: 02 Aug 2011)
Because isheep know almost nothing of technology. They believe apple invented the MP3 player and touch screens. They also buy high priced devices with outdated tech and bag on how they are cutting edge
18. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
This is awesome, hope to see it soon. But I am still waiting for Iron man like phones :)