Samsung patent suggests smartwatch with flexible screen is coming
Now that we've tied these patents to the possible release of a new Samsung smartwatch, we should tell you what the patents reveal. According to the documents, the Samsung smartwatch will feature a speaker and microphone (natch!), a USB port, and back and menu buttons. The most interesting part of the patent leak is that it hints that we could see a flexible display. Of course, just because a certain technology is listed on a patent doesn't necessarily mean that it is ready to be used on a real-life product.
Remembering the advantage that Apple had for years in the tablet market since it seemed to create the product itself with the launch of the OG iPad, Samsung is in a race to get its smartwatch out before Apple launches the iWatch. Smartwatches are not a new product of course, but this generation of the product is expected to offer more extensive smartphone-type functionality.
Samsung smartwatch patent
source: SamMobile via AndroidAuthority
3. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Iphones shatter quite easily and Apple makes a killing from their apple+ warranty deal. I own nexus, Samsung, and moto android devices and all three have proven to be quiet sturdy, with the RAZR being the best in 'sturdiness'.
27. selena1000 (Posts: 83; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
iphone is way durable than s4 and s3. do some fu**ing research before posting a comment :-)
6. ebubekir26 (Posts: 312; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
so what? it's more durable.
haters know it but still make fun of it.
7. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Real metal smartphones are made of steel not crappy aluminum.
8. roscuthiii (Posts: 1863; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Steel's nice and all, but can't a guy get a little titanium or magnesium alloy love?
9. pwnarena (Posts: 963; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
So you may easily get electrocuted if anything awry happens with the circuitry while you are charging the phone?
12. kamejoko (Posts: 113; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
Ifan troll so funny. with flexible screen! you think, it made by plastic or metal?.
28. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6689; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I'm sure the iwatch will be made out of glass and be VERY EXPENSIVE.
2. networkdood (Posts: 6310; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
So, I have not owned a watch in 31 years. What value added are these new watches from Apple, Samsung, etc?
4. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Nothing your smartphone can't already do software wise.
5. roscuthiii (Posts: 1863; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Really none... just a hot new gadget to have and show off. Looking at texts on a watch only takes a miniscule amount less effort then picking up my phone. Of course that conteracted by having to take the time to read texts on a much smaller screen.
I guess you can access your music playlists, but again... almost the same amount of effort as looking at a phone and the phone will have much better menu access.
The Hot Watch says you can make calls, but then again, you'd have to cup your hand over your ear and basically talk to yourself.
There's already a social stigmatism about people using bluetooth earpieces... can you imagine the one that will be assigned to the guy talking to his empty hand?
11. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6689; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I'm waiting for the SONY SMART WATCH 2 water resistant with it's signature silver power button
10. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Latest leak! It looks like a 1.5 inch Galaxy S4, with a home button in the middle, complete with cheap plastic build. /s
18. jomzkie (Posts: 19; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
plastic is fantastic! thats why Samsung is Number 1
21. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1633; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
yes because what else can be a flexible disply be made out of? retard why are you always hating?
23. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Just ignore the small minded mentality, it's because this will be unveiled alongside the Note 3 and will eclipse whatever Sony/HTC will be unveiling. Notice how the Sony Smartwatch has already been forgotten and how quiet the coverage on the Z Ultra has gone, but when the note 3 and this flexible watch come out with the world's media in awe, the fanboys will be spitting out acid once again at how their so called Honami stole the show.
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Let's hope that it won't have any S-Plode or S-Bomb features. lol
15. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 489; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Havent you realized that those explosions are actually the fault of third-party accessories?? Dumb
16. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
No sh!t, Sherlock.
Humanity has no sense of humor these days, they can't even smile on a joke and calling people dumb.
Smile more, dude!
22. ebubekir26 (Posts: 312; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
wow turns out you are in fact stupid...
19. jomzkie (Posts: 19; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
S-Plode and S-bomb how about i-lectricute with ur Aluminum clad phone that kills. Samsung is not responsible 4 using 3rd party battery. I HOPE UR THE ONE WHOS GOING TO EXPLODE!
14. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Yeah... Not seeing any real benefits to these over a normal smartphone other than that you can wear it. They will have outdated specs, probably less features than a smartphone, and the ones they do have will have to fit on a tiny screen. Plus a large price tag to be expected, no thanks!
24. ph00ny (Posts: 606; Member since: 26 May 2011)
microsd and bluetooth audio capability will seal the deal for me
25. Samsungadroidrules (Posts: 104; Member since: 28 Jul 2013)
Samsung haters makes Fun of Polycarbonate covers. Wow, base on the real world experience and tech reviews. S3/S4 lasted longer when it comes to different types of destruction and polycarbonate covers are stronger against scratches but Aluminum/metal DON'T and also Aluminum covers can make an impact to a wifi /network connection. Stop making fun of plastic covers of Samsung, for Billions of people that doesn't matter as long as it feels Classy, has great features like s3/s4 that will be great. Rather than having an Aluminum design but comes out with useless service, outdated Features and O.S. Samsung All the way, KING OF ANDROID!