Samsung patent application shows off phone with wrap around touchscreen
0. phoneArena 14 Nov 2013, 09:18 posted on
Samsung has filed a patent application with the USPTO for a wraparound touchscreen; actually, the precise title of the application is "Method and apparatus for operating functions of portable terminal having bended display". Having an active bended display would allow Samsung to use virtual buttons and faders which could keep all physical buttons and controls off of the phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
21. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
23. rd_nest (Posts: 1027; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
37. blattlaus (Posts: 60; Member since: 12 Dec 2010)
What about Nokia in 2011-
50. rd_nest (Posts: 1027; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Concept vs working prototype??
I also have a concept for a flying car. Doesn't mean much in real world situation.
49. joey_sfb (Posts: 3725; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Wow! Samsung flexible OLED is really cool. Flexible and low power consumption.
Samsung haters will be missing out a lot. More haters please so that it could bring down the price to an affordable level.
33. Eonnaydra (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
How the hell could you say that?
50 millions people have a S3 and the 4.3 update is a sh!t.
I cannot wake up the phone,the sound on headphones is 50% down and it is crashing all the time.
The phone is also showing me 30 notifications for no reasons and has a lot of lag.
How is this possible?
45. joey_sfb (Posts: 3725; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
As you can see Samsung fan base is growing world wide thanks to Apple law suit against them.
I am one of them because before the lawsuit i own zero Samsung device now i have 4 Samsung devices and growing.
So Apple is right that they could have sold more devices before the lawsuit just to people like me.
I hate Apple's arrogant period.
54. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1709; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
What period were they in before? ;)
47. JC557 (Posts: 1216; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
It would be kinda fun to have a NASDAQ index scrolling along as a Live Wallpaper on this wrap around display.
I wonder how they will work out the kinks for phone gripping.
3. AfterShock (Posts: 3697; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I can understand getting a patent before some other company,... but please don't bar others from fair royalty usage Samsung.
4. verbalize (Posts: 95; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Who's the clown who came up with this idea? How can you possibly use this? You would have to place the phone on a table and use it that way. You can't hold it because the touch screen would always be touched.. I have a feeling this idea will never see the day of light.
6. Jommick (Posts: 213; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
Might have the same type of touch recognition technology as the Microsoft surface touch cover or even most newer laptop touch pads, where it can sense when you're actively touching it for input and when your hand is just resting on it.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9513; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm pretty sure Samsung has that all figured out.
14. cezarepc (Posts: 632; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
lol the way you said it is like faith in religion
19. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
28. rd_nest (Posts: 1027; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
If you'r gonna repeat the same thing every statement, you better read the same response everytime:
8. tech2 (Posts: 2738; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Of course they would've thought it through. E.g. It might only respond to light touch on sides or might only respond to fingers or something.
Anywho, I really like the idea that they could make your phone look 3D (unlike Apple with their fake parallax effect in ios 7). In pic 7 the contacts screen actually looks like I am holding a diary.
9. xfire99 (Posts: 580; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
The phone have already been introduced and this idea is real reality. -.-
11. androiphone20 (Posts: 1580; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
this crossed my mind, you have a point there
15. LordCaedus (Posts: 63; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
Maybe it requires fingerprints. Sorry to all those who lost theirs. ;)
17. vijaysivakula (Posts: 172; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
whichever side is pointing up would have the touch screen digitizer activated and the other / bottom side would have only an active display without the touch getting active. This can be accomplished very easily using the accelerometer and I would have done it that way and i am not an engineer or even a "clown".
43. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 205; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Camera app's can put a shutter button in an appropriate position, instead of the screen front.
10. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
only if they do make it. Else, we have millions of nicer looking concepts in the web too. They could've just picked it up, make it look like a patent diagram to stop other OEMs to work on it.
All in all except for the note series, whatever things that they have innovated in the mobile industry are unfinished and dont even get me started on the design of their innovations.
20. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
The concept was already made, but not by samsung...
51. rd_nest (Posts: 1027; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
What a bitter troll!
Do something useful in your life.
55. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1709; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Could you, like, repeat that? I didnt catch it the first 1000 times
12. _Bone_ (Posts: 2145; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Side unlock and multi-tasking switch via bars at side panel looks pretty darn cool.
13. buccob (Posts: 1743; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
How do you hold it? or should it lay on a table at all times?
16. dmat3889 (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
I really dont like this, Its more novelty than function. Maybe it will lead to advances elsewhere but for mobile application like this, Its not needed.
18. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
HEYYYY, PA already posted about it, those guys at Semiconductor Energy Laboratory (SEL) created a concept, not just a picture
Samsung copying againg?!?!
36. ph00ny (Posts: 621; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Samsung had a working prototype shown well before that. Might have been during youm demo at ces
39. donfem (Posts: 567; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
And if you think Samsung is "copying" do you think the patent will be granted?
41. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
So according to your logic, when Samsung saw SEL's live concept they rushed the idea 12 days later (today)?
Cool story, bro.
52. rd_nest (Posts: 1027; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Look at the patent application carefully. The patent was filed in US in May 14, 2013. In Korea, it was filed in May 14, 2012.
That's like 1.5 yrs before the SEL announcement.
22. jroc74 (Posts: 5219; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Nice concept. Looks like its mostly for navigating, scrolling and status info. How it would be used would be interesting since many hold their phones on the sides...
Maybe a sensor that recognizes when you are holding it with your hand (like recognize a large hand area) vs a small hand area like a fingertip.
29. alpinejason (Posts: 262; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
samsung has always copied other companies.it's their trademark
42. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Because no other company copies anybody else. Like, ever.
I love when people type with their buttcheeks.
31. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Pretty cool, but this has been talked about by several companies for a while now.
32. hassoups (Posts: 413; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
the difference between this and the apple patent...
35. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
then apple will copy that patent and then sue samsung
38. galanoth (Posts: 355; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
Samsung already made this prototype.
They aren't copying.
40. donfem (Posts: 567; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I guess if it was the fruit trying to patent this, there will be no question about "innovation"?
48. deewinc (Posts: 196; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
I thought Apple had applied for a patent of a technology they do not have.