Samsung patent application shows off phone with wrap around touchscreen
0. phoneArena 14 Nov 2013, 09:18 posted on
Samsung has filed a patent application with the USPTO for a wraparound touchscreen; actually, the precise title of the application is "Method and apparatus for operating functions of portable terminal having bended display". Having an active bended display would allow Samsung to use virtual buttons and faders which could keep all physical buttons and controls off of the phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
21. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
23. rd_nest (Posts: 1593; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
37. blattlaus (Posts: 63; Member since: 12 Dec 2010)
What about Nokia in 2011-
50. rd_nest (Posts: 1593; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Concept vs working prototype??
I also have a concept for a flying car. Doesn't mean much in real world situation.
49. joey_sfb (Posts: 5819; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Wow! Samsung flexible OLED is really cool. Flexible and low power consumption.
Samsung haters will be missing out a lot. More haters please so that it could bring down the price to an affordable level.
33. Eonnaydra (Posts: 217; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
How the hell could you say that?
50 millions people have a S3 and the 4.3 update is a sh!t.
I cannot wake up the phone,the sound on headphones is 50% down and it is crashing all the time.
The phone is also showing me 30 notifications for no reasons and has a lot of lag.
How is this possible?
45. joey_sfb (Posts: 5819; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
As you can see Samsung fan base is growing world wide thanks to Apple law suit against them.
I am one of them because before the lawsuit i own zero Samsung device now i have 4 Samsung devices and growing.
So Apple is right that they could have sold more devices before the lawsuit just to people like me.
I hate Apple's arrogant period.
54. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 2971; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
What period were they in before? ;)
47. JC557 (Posts: 1541; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
It would be kinda fun to have a NASDAQ index scrolling along as a Live Wallpaper on this wrap around display.
I wonder how they will work out the kinks for phone gripping.
3. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I can understand getting a patent before some other company,... but please don't bar others from fair royalty usage Samsung.
4. verbalize (Posts: 126; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Who's the clown who came up with this idea? How can you possibly use this? You would have to place the phone on a table and use it that way. You can't hold it because the touch screen would always be touched.. I have a feeling this idea will never see the day of light.
6. Jommick (Posts: 221; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
Might have the same type of touch recognition technology as the Microsoft surface touch cover or even most newer laptop touch pads, where it can sense when you're actively touching it for input and when your hand is just resting on it.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm pretty sure Samsung has that all figured out.
14. cezarepc (Posts: 716; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
lol the way you said it is like faith in religion
19. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
28. rd_nest (Posts: 1593; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
If you'r gonna repeat the same thing every statement, you better read the same response everytime:
8. tech2 (Posts: 3462; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Of course they would've thought it through. E.g. It might only respond to light touch on sides or might only respond to fingers or something.
Anywho, I really like the idea that they could make your phone look 3D (unlike Apple with their fake parallax effect in ios 7). In pic 7 the contacts screen actually looks like I am holding a diary.
9. xfire99 (Posts: 849; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
The phone have already been introduced and this idea is real reality. -.-
11. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
this crossed my mind, you have a point there
15. LordCaedus (Posts: 83; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
Maybe it requires fingerprints. Sorry to all those who lost theirs. ;)
17. vijaysivakula (Posts: 224; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
whichever side is pointing up would have the touch screen digitizer activated and the other / bottom side would have only an active display without the touch getting active. This can be accomplished very easily using the accelerometer and I would have done it that way and i am not an engineer or even a "clown".
43. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 254; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Camera app's can put a shutter button in an appropriate position, instead of the screen front.
10. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
only if they do make it. Else, we have millions of nicer looking concepts in the web too. They could've just picked it up, make it look like a patent diagram to stop other OEMs to work on it.
All in all except for the note series, whatever things that they have innovated in the mobile industry are unfinished and dont even get me started on the design of their innovations.
20. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
The concept was already made, but not by samsung...