Samsung outs Galaxy S II Plus, with Android 4.1.2 and the Nature UX interface
0. phoneArena 10 Jan 2013, 03:46 posted on
The Galaxy S II Plus is loaded with Samsung's latest Nature UX interface, that features options like Smart Stay that keeps the screen on when you are are looking at it, and PopUp Play, which detaches the current video in a separate hover window, so you can do something else underneath...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Adithya7184 (Posts: 317; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
specs are same as old s2....but still a good phone for mid-rangers...
11. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
This is so much better than the S3 mini!!
but pricing will be interesting as s3 mini is overpriced and this cannot be launche > Rs. 26000 in India
32. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
I think Samsung made this phone just because they had some Galaxy S II parts left on the floor
38. cripton805 (Posts: 1431; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
This would be a good phone off contract. $300-$400 max or even less. Id buy it. Its powerful enough and its still a great phone.
LTE is a big +, that the more powerful LG Nexus doesnt offer ironically.
2. tiara6918 (Posts: 2027; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I don't see the purpose of releasing galaxy s2+ when it is exactly identical to the galaxy s2.
14. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Actually there is a decrease in the storage capacity and is a bit heavy than the original one..
The only change I think is the exterior-color(now available in pebble blue) and hyperglaze..
20. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Actually there is a decrease in the storage capacity..."
SGSII = MicroSD (up to 32GB)
SGSII+ = MicroSD (up to 64GB)
Does it looks like a decrease???
21. BiN4RY (Posts: 83; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
What does the maximum supported SD card size has ANYTHING to do with the internal storage capacity
22. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
It has nothing to do with that but in overall you can have more space than in SGSII and it is advantage.
23. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
What you will better prefer 32GB of internal + 32GB MicroSD on SGSII or 8GB of internal + 64GB MicroSD on SGSII+ ???
24. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
I am having a 64GB micro sd card(FAT32) by sandisk running on my GALAXY S2 I9100...
31. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Who knows what you are using, I guide on the official data.
30. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Read articles on GSMArena or PocketNow and you will know that there is more differences. I don't say that SGSII+ is better than SGSII or vice versa, I just state the fact that there is differences!
43. pkiran1996 (Posts: 166; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
It comes with a new zero shutter lag camera. Huge improvement there.
44. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
N the Gs iv bout too launch
3. ilia1986 (unregistered)
It's actually a slight downgrade when it comes to on-board storage, but it's good for those who want more power than the GS3 mini but still at an affordable price and with the latest software version.
4. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
So... Ummm the original Galaxy S2 won't get jelly bean? Because if it does then releasing this phone is pointless.
5. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
Don't get me wrong. I mean how much money people from 'emerging market' have? I myself just got my original SGS2 6 months ago and now if it doesn't get jelly bean, what am I supposed to do with it? sh*t on it?
8. ilia1986 (unregistered)
How bout rooting it and installing a custom rom?
29. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
Why the hell would I root it and void my warranty. If I am to root it, then why would I buy a new device from the showroom? There were and is plenty of second hand deals. Samsung just doesn't care of their previous flagships just after the new one's are out in the market. But they never understand that this is the device for which the GS3 got i's success.
36. ilia1986 (unregistered)
First of all: it is reported that the GS2 will be updated to jb.
Second of all: when it comes to phone manufacturers - Samsung provides updates at a far faster rate than any others when it comes to non nexus devices.
Third of all: you don't have to void your warranty. You can always unroot the phone should you need to.
Fourth of all: Samsung is giving you a CHOICE: either root your existing GS2 now OR wait for the official firmware update OR buy a new GS2 with half the internal storage, but with the latest firmware version. CHOICE = GOOD.
That would be all.
39. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
HTC gives update faster. Their One S is alomost the same like S2. It is enjoying JB and we are still eating Ice-cream....
42. ilia1986 (unregistered)
The One S is a much newer device than the S2. Thus, it received updates significantly faster. Not that it helped HTC that much given their current financial status. Your argument is moot.
Again- if you want - you can root your GS2 and enjoy 4.2.1 courtesy of a billion of custom mods.
9. BadAssAbe (Posts: 456; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
The original SGS2 will get jellybean, samsung already confirm this
10. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
i beleive GS2 is to receive JB update.
The only + for this model is that it has the latest UI and OS out of the box, so u can expect that to go uptil Android 5.0 ( though u never know!!)
28. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
If this phone can go up to android 5.0 then why can't the GS2?
33. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no one knows what android 5.0 is.. or if its even coming out in the next few years. I would guess we'd see 4.3 and 4.4 as well as maybe even 4.5 before we see 5.0.
Samsung is updating the SGS2's to ICS/JB. Current flagships always get priority. If you dont like waiting then get a nexus.
40. AmitMajumder (Posts: 178; Member since: 21 May 2012)
I can't. Nexus devices aren't available in my country.
41. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
sure they are.. you just have to work harder to get one. Get a buddy in a country where they are sold, buy it through him and have it shipped to you. pop in a GSM sim and boom.
37. ash29 (Posts: 56; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
Its all about marketing.If they support the old phones,then wol'll buy their new phones?
15. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
The original S2 is definitely getting JB 4.1 as confirmed by Samsung..
There is also a leaked SAMSUNG JB ROM which is very very smooth and can be used as a daily driver..
(I'm using it from the last month)
13. Astro551 (Posts: 46; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
doesn't get google now, the only major differentiating feature between ICS. phone is now pointless. seems legit
34. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the original SGS2 is getting ICS or JB. Samsung confirmed.
This is just a refresh of an older yet still popular model to spike a few sales. For budget minded people (or most anyone else really), its still an excellent phone.
6. Peter98 (Posts: 119; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
This design is way better than S3. And what I found out in the picture is the back plate is using hair-brushed style?
16. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
It's having hyperglaze coating...as stated by other techsites..
7. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
I am gonna get this.. just right, Size is not too big, not too small, and its bench mark is 3000+ =3
17. kartik4u98 (Posts: 511; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Completely pointless device..
Why do you always do like this samsung??
45. Scorpion (Posts: 103; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
I've got an orginal SGII with JB and it's a great combo. I think this is a purely marketing move. By announcing a "new" phone they bring the spotlight back to SGII. Makes sense as it really is a good workhorse phone, and if your'e n a budget.... Oh and did you notice how Samsung pulled an Apple in CES but not announcoing a 5inch 1080p? I'd sue them for that, not squares in the interface.
46. maxha97 (Posts: 93; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
In s2jellybean update will get touchwiz5.0 and popupplay. So it is nothing better than s2
48. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
instead of updating original s2 they launch this same old s**t with 4.1 so they can sale more s2