Samsung might start to use AMOLED displays only in high-end phones in 2013, LCD displays for cheaper handsets
0. phoneArena 22 Nov 2012, 07:36 posted on
AMOLED may be the display technology of the future, but Samsung is allegedly mulling over leaving it only for its high-end products, according to SamMobile’s ‘trusted source’…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Super AMOLED. While the screen on the One X is beautiful, I watch movies and videos a lot and to have the colors 'pop' makes it worth the investment.
10. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
gotta agree. one x's is one of the best screens on the market.
In amoled, I prefer note 2's screen compared to s3.
35. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
And I thought Samsung was smart, USE UR BRAIN, SAMMY!!!!
Amoled display sucks, use LCD or something that's not half as bright as an iPhone
44. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 400; Member since: 24 May 2011)
So you are more smarter than samsung?
14. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
why everybody said htc one x has the best display on the mobile world ? i have seen it with my own eyes, it's decent nothing special, black level is terrible, very reflective,
22. ngo2dd (Posts: 793; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
White level on Amoled are terrible. The screen is not bright even for sunlight viewing
33. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
very reflective? You're talking about the glass protection, not the screen itself.
37. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Because the color production on the LCD 2 is phenomenal. I can't wait to test out the Droid DNA.
38. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
And this is why there is no clear cut best screen out. I prefer Amoled too for blacks, contrasts, and I like the saturated colors....
52. yajia1 (Posts: 112; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
See it side by side with the S3 then you'll know why. But it ends there, the screen. Everything in S3 is better than OneX.
39. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I agree. I have a Rezound and RAZR...and Netflix looks alot better on my RAZR due to that and blacks. The screen res is almost a non factor between the 2 screens. Pentile too.
So many ppl raved over the Rezound screen.....I didnt see it. Overall it wasnt as good as old LCD screens.
I have a Maxx HD now....and its gonna take an LCD screen with the pros of Amoled to pull me away from Amoled.
2. shahulvm (Posts: 118; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
AMOLED are fine, as we have the display setting which can be set to "Normal", but cannot stand the PENTILE matrix....
CANNOT stand the PENTILE arrangement...
15. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
what is wrong with pentile ? as long as the resolution is hd you can't see the pixels, try to play with s3 and see the screen closely with your eyes, you wont' be able to see the pixels until your eye gets hurt
if the resolution is not hd, then yes it will be a problem,
19. phljcnth (Posts: 294; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I think Note II has non-pentile Super AMOLED.
23. redmd (Posts: 909; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Note II has non-pentile Super AMOLED. that's already a fact.
4. mydi.maus (unregistered)
IPS displays on very low end phones...lol
5. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1379; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
they should make the note series with IPS/PLS pannels mainly because of color saturation
6. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
put lcd on high end , then ill finally buy a samsung
25. redmd (Posts: 909; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
AMOLED is what common buyers relate to Samsung. it's a selling point.
8. mercorp (Posts: 984; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
To be honest,this is a matter of taste.
For me any will be ok.
9. GuiltyBystander (Posts: 199; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
The blueish whites are not a downside for me, I like them.
11. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 804; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Be it LCD or AMOLED If it's free I would never complain.
12. nexus4izlate (Posts: 3; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
LCD however to each there own, but seriously pentile must die
13. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
i prefer amoled over lcd, albeit the color is oversaturated....is it a pentile ? yes is it hd ? yes is it problem ? no...you can't see the pixels on super amoled hd panels, actually you can if you look very close to the display but it will make your eyes hurt, besides, who wants too look that close to the screen?
16. _Bone_ (Posts: 2138; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's less of a change than you'd think: all those LCD factory lines that were producing Apple screens will be used for the ever expanding Samsung mobile line-up, and there's no shortage on demand.
17. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 412; Member since: 04 May 2012)
That's a lot of butthurt AMOLED users lol.
Face it, IPS is really better.
20. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Personal preference, if you came here to comment on an SAmoled article than you are butthurt.
21. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 412; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Then you're saying everyone who commented here are butthurt? OwO
Yes personal preference also counts, but in actual technology, IPS is still superior.
34. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
If you feel the need to convince others, then you are butthurt. I like the Iptimus G screen, but I like the Note 2 screen better.
36. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 412; Member since: 04 May 2012)
If it seems I am trying to convince others, it's your personal opinion.
I commented here to state a fact and not an opinion.
There are just those people who cannot accept the truth.
41. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Ok since you seem civil enough:
Brightness: LCD, of course the Amoled brightness is enough 95% of the time.
White colour: draw, depending on personal preference, some like colder, some like warmer colours
Black colour: Samoled, hence the better contrast
Viewing angles: draw, IPS doing its thing
Colour gamut: draw, depending on the screen in question, amoled tend to display wider colour gamut
"true to life colours" LCD by far, but since I don't use my phone for editing and photoshoping Victoria Secret models, i prefer the punchy colours of amoled for watching videos(you should try Futurama 720p on Amoled)
Subpixel arrangement and resolution: draw, if you use microscopes and macro lens: LCD by far, if you use eyes and keep your phone at normal distance: draw
Please correct me if I'm wrong on something, but it seems "personal preference" does sway the "facts" to one side or the other. All facts point that a Ferrari 458 is a better car than a Porsche 911 GT3, yet a lot of people prefer the 911 over the 458.
50. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Agree with this. Which is why I said I dont think we can really say LCD has more pros than Amoled. Or vice versa.
I lived by the natural colors of LCD....until my first Amoled phone. And Pentile is seriously overblown. The ....only ...time Pentile shows up for me is when I hold my phones closer than normal. Most of the time thats in bed.
28. redmd (Posts: 909; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
your posts prompts me to presume you haven't got hold of the Note II be it demo or actual unit. to say which one is better or superior is a matter of preference. both have its pros and cons.
I like both IPS and AMOLED. but prefer AMOLED to a slight degree because the colors just gets out of the screen and it saves power.
30. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"to say which one is better or superior is a matter of preference. both have its pros and cons."
But when you count all pros and cons you will see that OLED based displays has more cons than pros and then it is no more a matter of preference, then it is technical fact!
40. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
When you say that....and my and many other eyes prefer the saturated, over saturated colors....it dosnt matter what cons it has on paper.....preference will still outweigh technical facts for some things.
And honestly....I dont even know if we can say which has more cons than the other.
Like real world use outweighs technical facts for some things. I have great coverage on Verizon where I live....on paper. Real world use....its a bad reception area for Verizon.
51. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 412; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Haha, I wouldn't even dare go into a Samsung store. Too boring.
Soon, the next gen IPS LCD and AMOLED displays will fight once more. Then we will see which one has evolved quite nicely from current displays. My bet would be obviously IPS, but who knows what would happen :)
18. CellularNinja (Posts: 303; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I prefer AMOLED. I do recognize some of it's weaknesses. But it's strengths, mainly complete blacks, are a huge plus to me. I believe that the LCD's greyish blacks are more of an issue then a tiny bluish tint in whites. That's my opinion though. I also like the very bright colors! When outside light is dark, the screen looks that much better because you don't see a grey background, since the blacks are so deep, and the colors pop out impressively.
24. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Not sure which one I like, but they say AMOLED is suppose to be the future but If that is so there is no big difference between them like there was between blue-ray and HD DVDs
31. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
While they won't improve organic compounds which are used in OLED it is not a future!
27. wando77 (Posts: 324; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Amoled all the way for me. I have a gs3, n7 and note 10.1 and I love the gs3 screen the most
43. b1acktiger (Posts: 210; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Personally i will prefer LCD displays, i had a bad experience with AMOLED displays as it loses sensitivity.
45. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 400; Member since: 24 May 2011)
I dont know why color reproduction has to be sooo acurate for some people. Punchy looking colours make watching movies and videos and looking at photos so much better. I again iterate Note 2 has the best screen for that. The one x has a good screen no doubt, but atleast according to me the Note 2 has the best screen.
46. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
amoled is awesome! But I would still prefer an LCD display in my smartphone.. I just love my evo 4g lte. :)
47. almostdone (Posts: 130; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
AMOLED on the Galaxy Note 2 is the best! Change the mode to "natural" or "movie" and you get all the benefits of true and deep blacks, superb contrast with natural looking colors with no color tints.
I have seen many IPS screens and none of them comes close including the iPhoney range.
49. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
s3's amoled isn't that great as sometimes texts or pictures are a bit rough because of pentile arrangement. note II's amoled however is very smooth and the blue level of colour saturation is second to none.
it's more about preference between LCD or amoled but i prefer LCD as sometimes the oversaturation of amoled can get my eyes hurt
53. yajia1 (Posts: 112; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Please no PenTile screens on high-end phones anymore. People buy and prefer high-end phones for a reason.