Samsung may be ready to mass produce curved batteries
0. phoneArena 31 Oct 2013, 08:19 posted on
LG already has the claim as being the first manufacturer to market with a curved battery, which will be found in the LG G Flex; but, that doesn't mean it will be the only manufacturer or device to feature a curved battery. Samsung has the Galaxy Round with its curved screen, but it doesn't use a curved battery. However, it sounds like future curved Samsung smartphones may come with curved batteries...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Maybe a curved watch panel can make use of it.
2. eisenbricher (Posts: 972; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I understand that making curved displays is difficult because there's lot of things going on there. But I don't understand why making curved batteries was difficult. Molding electrodes and substrates in curved share isn't difficult..
4. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
The problem is manufacturing them in volume. There is a learning curve, high initial fixed costs, unknowns related to new technology or new processes, supply chain hasn't been put in place, finding production time, etc.
Getting to steady state production is pretty hard. Those initial batches tend to have high failure rates, poor QC, etc, You have make limited batch runs to get gremlins out of the system.
5. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Maybe thay were more focused on screen, now that they know how to make it, it time for bateries
7. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Battery life will never be good on the current technology we need to switch to silicon or something even better.
6. cezarepc (Posts: 638; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Imagine all the empty space in smartphones filled with battery.
8. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
The device would be curved so it would fit well.
9. Dunknown (Posts: 84; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Oh please. Samsung can even make a flat battery and yet want to go for curved.