Samsung makes Galaxy S III mini official
0. phoneArena 12 Oct 2012, 02:02 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S III mini is now official. The 4.0-inch handset that some hoped would be Samsung’s answer to the iPhone 5…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Dear Phone Arena;
You are 24 hours late on this one. Every other sites already posted it.
34. loli5 (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
They were too busy "reporting" on the fact that accessories for the ipodXL- I mean the ipad mini WILL be available. Riveting stuff.
2. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
9.9mm is a hair larger than 8.9mm. meh..
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
It is designed for consumers who cannot afford sgs3 but want to get this in order to showing off in the name of 'galaxy s3' :)
5. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
so this wil be market same as the galaxy s advance then.... a step down version of s1/s2!!! but atleast that phone looks more premium!
26. nastynaps (Posts: 93; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
With those specs it tarnishes the sgs3's name.
4. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
really looks ugly! UGLY!!! but almost same specs of the iPhone 5!!!
i wish samsung's designer will be change.. and maybe they could hire some people from nokia that was fired!
admit it, nokia designs are way better than samsung...way premium looking! nokia 701(yes the symbian phone) looks way better than this crap!
6. wendygarett (unregistered)
What do you expect? It is a mini version of sgs3
12. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
thats the problem!! i hate s3's design!!
i really dont know why but wave 3 looks more premium looking than s3!! atleast they should have use that design instead of this!
7. Seymur (unregistered)
10. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i love pickachu... so that explains my username! :)
13. mobileharan (Posts: 18; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Galaxy Note II and Galaxy SIII mini looks good .. But Galaxy SIII looks ugly to me .. I dont know the reason and I know it's all almost the same design ..
8. niks_94 (Posts: 7; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Heyy phonearena users ! HELP !!
Should i go for the S Advance or wait for the S III Mini ???
11. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
s3 mini!! even though it dont look premium!!! its android 4.1 while advance is stock at 2.3! :)
17. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1310; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Depends on price, they have the same specs except for the 1GB RAM in the SIII. But paying 100 Euros more for 256MB of RAM is just ridiculous, and the S Advance costs only 300 Euros.
The advance has only Android 2.3, but it should be upgraded soon to at least 4.0 and probably 4.1 as it has the same HW as the SIII mini.
I'm guessing the SIII has also the crappy NovaThor U8500 chip inside, it's just a guess but an educated one.
19. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1310; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Ah! and if you are in Europe and don't realy mind to spend the 400 Euros you'll be MUCH better off buying the HTC One S, same price with by far HIGHER specifications and build quality.
23. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Galaxy S2 is better than both, it has much better screen, processor and camera. If you are on budget s advance is better, Samsung are planning to update it to jelly bean(they are skipping ics). S3 mini is overpriced atm, if you really want to get it wait for the pricedrop.
9. redmd (Posts: 1024; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
expensive, I'd go for the galaxy nexus than this one.
14. yowanvista (Posts: 339; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Underpowered device, it won't perform that well in most HD games and in multitasking given that it only has 552MB of usable RAM out of 1GB.
18. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1310; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
There is hardly any game that uses more than 100MB RAM in the market, so RAM should not be a problem. Also the phone is 480 x 800-pixel, so why do you care about HD games?
But you are not wrong, the GPU is probably a Mali400 with just one core, so it won't perform too well with 3D games.
(I'm assuming a ST NovaThor U8500 inside)
22. yowanvista (Posts: 339; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
RAM usage will be a problem since on idle the device uses around ~380MB with Samsung's junk apps running. It would only be a matter of time before the system starts to close down apps when running low on memory. Imagine listening to some music, playing a game at the same time while having a few tabs in Chrome opened with such a low amount of memory.
25. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1310; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
May we assume then, that under the same criteria ANY phone in the market right now it uderpowered in your opinon?
I'm jus telling because I'm only aware of one phone currently in the market with more than 1 GB RAM, the Samsung Galaxy S III USA version.
Is that what you want to say: that every phone in the market is underpowered? HTC One series, Sony Xperia series, all LG flaships (till the Optimos G goes out), ect... All of them?
I find it like a joke... But that's just my personal opinion.
I have a Nexus S with only 512 MB RAM or memory: that's underpowered and there I have issues, as you may have with your phone. But for now 1 GB is more than enough.
28. yowanvista (Posts: 339; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Any phone? Most devices have at least 700-800MB of usable memory out of 1GB and that ensures a fully fledged multitasking experience. 512MB of RAM or anything lower makes the device lag when opening a lot of things. My myself have an Ace 2 with 555MB of RAM and it's a real pain to multitask. As for the S3 Mini Samsung has surely bloated it with a lot of junk services and apps that bog down the whole system.
29. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1310; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
That's just your assumption, and as silly one.
HTC Sensse uses a lot more RAM for example than Touchwiz, and I don't know any device with 700-800 MB free RAM as I use stock androd and uses already 380 MB with Jelly Bean. Just do the math yourself when you add the OEM layer over it.
With 500 MB you should be fine, and if you are not, you won't be with this phone or with any other in the market, cause all use the same OS and all use an OEM layer over it.
And I'm curious about where do you read that i will have only 552 MB or ram available for the user (which is probably true, it's just the same as any other) as that is not in the reports. So probably just another of your assumtions...
30. yowanvista (Posts: 339; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
The GSIII has around 800MB of usable RAM and yet multitasking is flawless. In the case of S3 Mini they surely allocated too much memory to the kernel/hardware features. ~200MB is passable but 472MB lost is quite unacceptable imho.
15. Ravail (Posts: 182; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)
The only thing i dont like about this is the battery size.. needs to be at least 1700
16. estreito (Posts: 15; Member since: 11 May 2012)
I find it a slightly better version of the S1, wich is a pity, because at this price point Samsung didn't really make an effort to do a better product. We all know that they could have had a huge success if they did.
20. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Big let down by specs. Should'ev had the S3 specs on this.
21. Hamdan (Posts: 15; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Xperia P or S III mini ? Which one should i buy
27. DKMDROID (Posts: 102; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
This phone is terribly misleading it doesnt deserve the title of "mini" to the GS3
31. yoyo93 (Posts: 34; Member since: 23 Sep 2012)
Bump up the specs and Sammy could have stolen apple's thunder.
32. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
The RAZR M is the same size and has got better specs and a far better external design. If youre looking for something in this size range that is actually a good device; look no farther than the iPhone. Its the best compact smarphone on the market. Period.
33. saiki4116 (Posts: 374; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
It's S advance,carrying a GS3 mini monicker(only diff is in RAM and OS)....I have a S advance...This means the update of jelly Bean would be coming soon....
35. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
looks like an updated Samsung Continuum...no thanks.