Samsung lists which of its US smartphones will receive Jelly Bean
0. phoneArena 04 Oct 2012, 08:27 posted on
Samsung lists the JB update for the Galaxy S III as "Coming Soon" for Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular. At this point, we were hoping there would be more of an official time frame given. Missing is any mention of the Samsung Galaxy S II sold in the US, as Samsung has already said the overseas model would receive Jelly Bean.
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
36. MeoCao (unregistered)
And GN is Google's credit, not SS
2. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Im going to die if my sgs2 doesn't get jelly bean
3. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I think It will, I mean we have seen JB leaks for it already
5. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
sgs2 epic 4g touch i mean. if it doesnt oh well guess ill have to go to XDA
16. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
i have been running JB on my international S2 for close to 2 months now. go to XDA and you got it.
18. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
XDA has done me well, Im running 1.7ghz right now with the GPU at 400mhz. Smooth as "butter" haha jelly bean joke
26. whysoserious (Posts: 317; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Yea but you do notice that your battery drains a lot faster now, right?
33. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
actually it does but not a big difference though.
47. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
but isnt the battery removable on the S2??
49. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Yes, yes it is,http://www.amazon.com/QCell-Samsung-4100mAh-Extended-Compatible/dp/B006SK5HHW....Th
eyno longer sell this 4100mah beast though.
54. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
yeah it is but with you dont need an extra battery. it will last you a full day even with heavy use.
28. badini007 (Posts: 18; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
I have installed JB on my SGS2 more than 3months for XDA (Rootbox-JRO03H) and with normal usage the battery lasts 1 to 2 days.
12. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
in europe s2 will have jb
and even ace 2
17. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 5751; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
It was bound to happen. I don't really see Samsung updating the S2 to JB or at least not in the immediate future.
4. ajac09 (Posts: 1412; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
this is only the gs3 list seems incomplete since they said gs2s would be getting it to
6. FranksGT (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Why would you die? Most devices gets 1-2 updates then stop. Its the android world. Nothing is that great with 4.1 anyways
8. TheDude13 (Posts: 12; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
well i havent try the JB but all the android sites praise the update
60. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
It really is amazing. My GNex felt like a brand new phone as soon as I updated. FranksGT is just jealous and trolling hardcore
10. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Every Samsung Galaxy device has gotten at leasy 3 updates... besides Samsung confirmed Jelly Bean for Galaxy S II.
25. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3292; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Every Samsung Galaxy device has gotten at least 3 updates? Are you serious? I bet you can't even name one because that's simply not true.
53. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
No, the most any Samsung Galaxy device got in terms of updates is 2 to my knowledge, it was the original Galaxy S, it released with 2.1, then later got 2.2 then 2.3
58. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3292; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
You're absolutely right, but for some reason I get thumbed down twice for stating the facts. The people on this site are unbelievable. You can't state facts without getting hated on.
EDIT: I guess, technically, the Nexus S is a Galaxy device too. Also got 2 updates.
62. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The Nexus shouldn't be counted as a Galaxy device, it's a Google device.
64. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3292; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I'm sure it can be interpreted either way. I mean, the second Samsung Nexus device specifically has Galaxy in the name.
65. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yeah, I can understand. But Samsung should not be given credit towards the updates even though it is "Galaxy" device, considering the updates are handled by Google.
7. TheDude13 (Posts: 12; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
What about the S2????????? U Got to be kidding me
9. deadinside (Posts: 26; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
They just need to stop talking about it , and just get the updates out already.
61. Captain_Doug (Posts: 889; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
My wife has it and i'm not sure how she hasn't thrown it against a wall many times... oh wait, she has... Such crap.
13. tlsmithsr (Posts: 81; Member since: 28 Sep 2010)
Your not missing much... Expandable notifications.. Google Now... Butter Project.
21. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I think tlsmithsr was being facetious.
32. dejastar (Posts: 11; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Ah sorry, hard to pick up on sarcasm on ze interwebs.
14. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
In the U.S., 'coming soon' is due to carriers controlling the release of the update. The only manufacturer who gets to do their own release schedule is Apple.
20. JunkCreek (Posts: 406; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
my galy won't get any... even ics... wrong buy. my se xperia mini now has ics.
22. MartyK (Posts: 729; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Yeah, I think I will stay in the Nexus family..this waiting stuff, is waaaaay too long...
The U.S. Carriers need to be a shame of them self; I mean, that can give the customers a choice/option to download a version with or without their bloat ware, Come on now, some people has already brought their phones and sign their long a** contracts with them.
23. tlsmithsr (Posts: 81; Member since: 28 Sep 2010)
Only upgrade to Nexus devices so you don't have to wait.
24. ChafedBanana (Posts: 363; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Nexus 4 life, holmes! You couldn't pay me to use anything else.
27. dejastar (Posts: 11; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Oh you crazy kids. Back in my day phones didnt have UI updates. Whats a couple of months wait?
29. Sniggly (Posts: 7230; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Oh nice, Samsung, just go ahead and don't list the Note.
31. dejastar (Posts: 11; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
The note ll is jelly bean out the box boothang
34. Sniggly (Posts: 7230; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Yes, I know. I'm talking about the first Note, the one I have. Granted, Samsung says the list is subject to change, but still.
41. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
AT&T is probably being mean to Sammy, hence no update schedule for Note I.
48. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
^this guy is a sad little man
35. mas11 (Posts: 1033; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I personally believe if your phone has ICS, It should be upgraded to JB.
37. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6989; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
f**kING B.S. Next time i'm never going to buy a phone THAT PROMISE THE UPDATE. FCK ALL OTHER DEVICE. I'm waiting next year for a JELLY BEAN PHONE
42. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
You might want to modify your purchase filter. Next year, JB might even be stale.
43. Sniggly (Posts: 7230; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Dude, I'm not even joking. You need some anger management counseling. You're always angry.
51. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Inspector does seem a bit animated. I am a bit surprised that he didn't pick up on delays in updates, though. This isn't the first (or second) time that a manufacturer has slipped their update schedule. Moto (and VZW) sure took their time with the ICS roll-out for the RAZR.
Not meaning to lecture, but if you want a particular O/S on a handset, don't buy the handset until the desired O/S is shipping with the handset.
38. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I have had Jelly Bean on my CAPTIVATE - a SGS I, since August....
39. xoutrageousx (Posts: 70; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
Welcome to Samsung, where we hate on Apple because they update phones that are over 3 years old...yet we don't that are just a few months old.