Samsung knows its software needs improvement, half of R&D now focused on that objective
0. phoneArena 06 Nov 2013, 14:14 posted on
There are a lot of ways to tackle problems that people or companies come across. For the latter, often...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 226; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Hooray!!! Sammy finally addressing the area it sorely needed the most attention!
8. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Before there were a article in Phonearena, 'samsung knows its software is weak' , the present title suits better .
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Less touchwiz action or at least STOCK VERSION of ANDROID
35. cc3493 (Posts: 158; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Why do so many people want the stock version? A good part about samsung is the software features (yes, NOT BLOATWARE) and the BEST PART about andriod is that android users like is the fact that android is open source, allowing OEMS to play around a bit. If you want the stock version go with nexus or something. I like the fact that each company has its own version of android. Its like a different style and experience but you still have access to the play store and all the basic goodies that come with android + more.
22. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 7177; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Software wouldn't be the only thing actually.
34. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 651; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Mxyzptlk ur an embarrassment to us Apple fans, bcos u sound like an empty tin can without any knowledge or love of technology with empty comments. Come on man, grow up, I know you don't get much attention at home and you get it here, cos some ppl still respond to your comments.
39. Trex95 (Posts: 785; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Actually Samsung need to change lot of staff in there Galaxy's flagship like what HTC did with HTC one.
23. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
What a bunch of crap is this iArticle.
Just because Samsung put 12 bill in R&D, all the iMedia scream as one: "Samsung admit that they are not good in software" or "Samung admit that TouchWiz is not good, and we told you that"
You are sick iMorons.
26. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 226; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
I didn't read this as a Pro Apple article, I read it as Samsung admitting it has flaws in its products, and working to get them better. So they can bring us the consumers better and better products.
31. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Nothing in the Word is so perfect , that can not be made better.
Even your iPhone, moron.
If Apple annonce 12 bill in R&D, would you read in the iMedia articles that Apple "admitting it has flaws in its products, and working to get them better"
38. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 226; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
I don't own an iPhone you moron, proud Samsung Galaxy S4 owner here. I am glad Samsung is working to get better. I've taken off a lot of bloatware off my phone to help with the lag I experience from time to time. You need to stop your hatred of all things Apple, seriously you peevish simpleton. And, yes, the word is admitting, not admiting. So next time, check yourself before you wreck yourself, both in spelling and fact checking.
43. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
If Apple put 12 bill in R&D will you read such article:
"Apple knows its software needs improvement, half of R&D now focused on that objective"
Or, I bet, the articles in the iMedia will have this title:
"Apple say- even the best can be better- and will prove it with 12 bill in R&D"
And all of you iMorons will worship Apple again. LOL
(see, I don't buy this " proud Samsung Galaxy S4 owner here" , old iTrick)
44. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 226; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
I am a Samsung fanboy, I love everything Samsung puts on the market. I got my brother a Note 3, my mom a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and my dad a Tab 3 8.0. Our fridge is Samsung, our biggest TV is Samsung. I owned a GS2. I am waiting for the Note 4. I don't like Apple plain and simple. Samsung has flaws, I can admit that. I don't pretend they are perfect, but I can say I am not a angry, ravenous fanboy unlike you. I don't like iFapple fans either.
45. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 226; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
There now my Profile Pic even shows it, so Na Na Poo Poo, Stick Your Head In Doo Doo
46. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 226; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Or check out my HAD/HAVE/WANT phone section, I update it regularly.
2. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1100; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
"We hope that will also mean Samsung will also optimize the performance of TouchWiz since it can burden hardware that is not of the “flagship” status."
They also managed to burden the Galaxy S4, but they probably have fixed it by now.
Anyway this is good for Samsung, i've never been a fan of Touchwiz as it feels and looks too bloated, let's hope Samsung approaches stock Android more.
3. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
If you find the problem you can find the solution... well done sammy!
4. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
also they need to facus design and camera. they released ugly looking cheap plastic phones
5. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1853; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Strip TouchWiz and use stock android :P then half of R&D can go out for a drink
10. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Personally I dont like naked stock android, even thousands of cheap china sets are with stock.
Actually we are paying for touchwiz softwares so R&D is needed for it.
For example : I can throw video or music in my phone to my tv which is not possible in stock.
14. AwesomestMaximuss (Posts: 142; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Exactly,,,stock android is light,which is a good and a bad thing,,it puts less pressure on hardware and hence runs smooth but it also lacks a lot of features that touchwiz has..
And touchwiz may not look very good,but neither does stock android..beauty of android is that u can customize most of it without rooting and stuff,,,and tha part u cant customize(menus etc) are better on touchwiz imho.
24. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
TouchWiz is THE BEST THING that happen to Android. But you can buy Google Edition.
36. joey_sfb (Posts: 4451; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I prefer Touch wiz over stock. I have also test and enable features like smart stay that detect whether i am looking at the screen and prevent it from Dimming or switching the screen off.
Default screen time out could than be set lowest 15 seconds without negatively affecting by unwanted screen off after timeout. This help conserve battery life because we don't have to always remember to press the power button to switch off the screen.
7. nctx77 (Posts: 1180; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
So, touch wiz crap, the materials on the phone is crap,.....why are all the android fanboys buying samsung devices? Is it because they are the only one that can compete with apple money wise? HTC had better phones
9. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Htc is actually nothing infront of samsung.
Their ultrapixel was a Blunder.
12. Jillsandwich (Posts: 62; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Sense > Touch Wiz
Super LCD > Amoled
HTC hardware > Samsuck hardware
So, yes, HTC has quite a bit on Sammy.
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9884; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Sense < TouchWiz
Super LCD < AMOLED
HTC's Hardware < Samsung's hardware
There you go. All better now.
20. Jobayer (Posts: 166; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
Sense < TouchWiz
AMOLED < Super LCD < AMOLED plus
HTC's Hardware < Samsung's hardware
You stand corrected :D
29. Gemmol (Posts: 660; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
I think its both of yall opinions for the first one, the second one I would choose real colors over amoled, and number 3 come on the htc one look and feel better then galaxy phone or note
16. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
The first one is subjective. Personally, I like the functionality of Touchwiz over Sense but like the aesthetics of Sense over Touchwiz.
The second is also subjective. I like Amoled over Super LCD.
The hardware is the same excluding the build material, speakers and camera. The build material and speakers on the HTC One are certainly better than Samsung's but the camera on S4 is better than the One's. I have no problem with Samsung using plastic on their devices because it allows quick access to the removable battery. I can go from 0 to 100% battery life in a matter of seconds. I can't do that with most devices nowadays.
28. skyline88 (Posts: 402; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
the ultrapixel thing is completely rubbish. when taking photos under good lighting condition, the photo is worse than my antique Nokia N73.
25. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
HTC One is cheap tin-can , sealed, handicap iCrap, but without the army of brainless iZombies to buy it.
That's why HTC is dead now (even with this 1bill more in the marketing budget, that they put lately)
11. GeekMovement (Posts: 1997; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
This is exciting! Can't wait to see what kind of software improvements Samsung makes.
15. twens (Posts: 849; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Funny thing is people think touch wiz is bloated. I run touch wiz on my note 3 all day and not a single slow down or lag. We have lots of features plus it's there when you need it. There is nothing I want to do with my phone that I can't. Touch wiz has almost every feature you can think of. What is the use of a powerful phone without software to take advantage of it? I prefer Tw any day than stock Android.
40. sniperdroid (Posts: 146; Member since: 23 May 2013)
Me too, I used my friends Nexus 4 once when I wanted to see what stock android had to offer, and realized that the things I've become used too on my S4 which came standard with the phone had to be downloaded on the N4. I think stock android has its own nerd herd and I'm sorry to say I'm not one of them. I'm too lazy to go looking for stuff on Playstore I'd rather just get one with everything.
17. username45 (Posts: 5; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
I have a feeling Samsung will really begin to lead android next year, really looking forward to it.
32. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 651; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I thought it was leading already. My bad, who is currently leading?
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 16231; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Samsung needs to desperately add auto edit/compression of video files. Hate when I record a vid, forget to limit for mms first and get "cannot attach file size too large". C'mon Sammy really...
21. aditya.k (Posts: 493; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
You still use MMS? -_-
C'mom darkkjedii :P
42. darkkjedii (Posts: 16231; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
All the time. I live in Vegas, plenty to see
33. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 651; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
LOL, who still uses MMS? Like really? WOW
37. joey_sfb (Posts: 4451; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Last time i use a lot of mms now i just use hangout. All my friends are there.
Even so i don't have problem with sending mms photo using Touch wiz. Just snap and sent.
41. Sondae (Posts: 228; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
I sure wish touchwiz will be more customizable just like LG to make it unique for each user preference.