Samsung issues a statement on compatibility of 3rd party accessories with Note 3 on KitKat
0. phoneArena 23 Jan 2014, 07:36 posted on
Samsung immediately reacted on reports that 3rd party accessories are not working after Android KitKat arrived for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. The update has begun checking for the ID chip, and if it isn't there, the accessory won't work. A number of XDA threads say this even includes the Spigen S-View flip cover, of all things...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
If it's just a case...then there will no problem with it...but if it had extra functionality then it will go through this one..
12. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Contrary to what was printed above?
Sfan I guess.
14. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
it has some extra functionality to it....Who can case be rejected???do you even have sense...case will just cover the outer body of phone...it has nothing to do with ID chip...
16. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
A number of XDA threads say this even includes the Spigen S-View flip cover, of all things...
19. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
i dunno about that spigen s-view flip cover...have never senn one of those around...may be it has to something with it....
9. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3696; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes, they didn't tested thoroughly. It should support.
23. Nexus_bear (Posts: 32; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
I agree, they are locking their customers further into their ecosystem. Its easier to lock them in on hardware accessories since their software services are rather lackluster and isn't enough to generate enough revenue from their huge customer base.
2. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Seems like Samsung is shooting its own foot. Note 3 is a great phablet. Don't make it bad Samsung.
24. timepilot84 (Posts: 113; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Yep, I love my Note 3, but not so much that I'll live with Apple-style hardware lockdowns. If Samsung continues down this path, I'm out.
25. Furbal (Posts: 870; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I've been getting quickly disenfranchised with my note 3 since getting a nexus 5 and g2(wife and self)
Their attempts to lock down everything and all the Knox bootloader items are really making me not want to get another Samsung product.
3. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
As is said...it is quality check...the reason for this is...they're reputation was spoiled in 2013 by cheap third party acessories....and all that explosion stuff sammy haters whine about...
6. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
But even Apple has third party accessories that are fully supported by them. This just low blow in my opinion. Worst part is that they never warned the users and the legit third parties(Capdase, Otterbox and etc). So the owners just lost at least $30 or more worth of accessories. OUCH!
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10406; Member since: 14 May 2012)
OtterBox serves no additional purpose than protecting the case...
13. Just.Saying (Posts: 132; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
Shouldnt the manufacturers of the third party accessories be responsible for the incompatibility ? Wasnt the ID chip known to these manufacturers before hand. Also, 3rd party manufacturers promised compatibility and not the other way around.
20. tedkord (Posts: 9649; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
But they are compatible. Samsung is just checking if you're using their accessories, and if you're not shutting them down. That's s**tty.
15. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I dunno how it will work and all..but by looking at statement i can say that they will add all legit third party acessories to thier data base...
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10406; Member since: 14 May 2012)
As for the Samsung case, it's a waste of money considering if you accidentally drop it, it will get damaged. Get a OtteeBox for a cheaper price, and spend the money you saved on official Samsung products that are guaranteed to work. Yeah SS pulled an Apple, but this should decrease defects on SS phones due to third party hardware.
18. byazatt (Posts: 258; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
walled garden policy just like apple, not a good route Samsung.
21. poikilo (Posts: 49; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
If only samsung's own cases offered the same functionality of the 3rd party ones at that price, this move would've made sense. But no, definitely a stupid move.
26. darkkjedii (Posts: 19094; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
"To ensure a pleasant and smooth user experience with Samsung products for our customers, we recommend that only original accessories from Samsung are to be used." Man Samsung even gives excuses like apple lol, just fix it dammit.