Samsung gives the CyanogenMod crew a Galaxy S II, says to fire at will
0. phoneArena posted on 08 Jun 2011, 03:33
ROM modders are starting to receive free Samsung Galaxy S II phones by the company, including the popular CyanogenMod crew, encouraging them to start working on custom ROM solutions for the hot Android handset...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Adi (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2011, 03:56 4 0
luv tat move.
20. AndroidTroll posted on 08 Jun 2011, 09:38 1 0
yeah big companies are just now understanding how big the rooting community is. There are hundreds of thousands of devices running CM7 so Samsung wants their phone to be supported in order to get those customers.
27. Lucas777 posted on 08 Jun 2011, 20:46 1 1
it is smart. but i wish they (and microsoft) would make the people sign a non-disclosure agreement... cause it just doesnt seem right for them to openly give a free thing to hackers... but in private its alright...
2. Thump3rDX17 posted on 08 Jun 2011, 03:56 6 0
wow Sammy, you guys have earned some points with me. o:
4. Faffy (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2011, 04:25 6 1
I can't believe this! I think its the best and boldest move by any manufacturer ever. It just comes to show how different they think from Apple. This is going to make their popularity sky rocket! Good job Sammy ;)
5. Sniggly posted on 08 Jun 2011, 04:26 7 1
Well, one thing Apple can't sue Samsung over is copying their policies toward rooters and modders.
6. trendsbze (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2011, 04:44 1 1
I was so pissed at Samsung yesterday for not allowing me to register my Galaxy Tab, in my home country USA because I bought it in Italy while travelling. This is such a bad policy for an international company as big as Samsung.
Now today I am hugging and kissing them for this bold move. I have been with windows for many many years due to its strong ROM DEV community.
Way to go Samsung. NOW CAN I REGISTER MY GALAXY TAB. I DON'T SPEAK ITALIAN. PRETTY PLEASE
7. Gary5 (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2011, 05:59 2 1
Cool. Samsung just went from a brand I would not consider to maybe my next phone.
8. TDroid21 posted on 08 Jun 2011, 06:35 3 1
I like sammy's move to gain more interest points not only from devs but to consumers. Developers and modders have a very high influence toward potential buyers in thier decision making on what handset to buy.
This shuold put samsung a step ahaed from its competitors.
28. WakaFlakaD posted on 08 Jun 2011, 22:35 1 0
Samsung is already ahead from its competitors. Not just cell phone sector, how about television?
9. bling bling (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2011, 06:58 3 1
aye sammy , SEND ME ONE AND I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PHONE PLEASE HEHE
10. aries.phills posted on 08 Jun 2011, 07:01 1 1
This is really cool. an't wait to get my SGS II.
11. bubba78 posted on 08 Jun 2011, 07:02 1 1
This will help them to continue to break sales records with this phone. I will be buying myself a SGS II when it is released on Verizon. I just hope that the Verizon version has LTE! Awesome move Samsung!!
22. Thump3rDX17 posted on 08 Jun 2011, 11:05 0 0
it won't have LTE, it'll compromise the design too much.
14. Knicknevin posted on 08 Jun 2011, 07:41 4 0
This I do believe just affirmed my desire to get the SG2 over the Bionic (even though the name Function is horrible).
I tip my hat to you, Sammy.
17. vantenkiest posted on 08 Jun 2011, 09:07 0 0
lol i still cal the fascinate my galaxy s phone lol
ill do the same with this one coming up
15. protozeloz posted on 08 Jun 2011, 08:45 4 1
that's a great move... Samsung is sure targeting every point with android
16. sweetlou (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2011, 09:03 1 0
when will this be released on us carriers!!!! tired of waiting for this beast while the rest of the world enjoys it :(
18. vantenkiest posted on 08 Jun 2011, 09:07 0 0
late summer is the earliest so from maybe september to early 2012
19. vantenkiest posted on 08 Jun 2011, 09:09 0 0
Well I know that the Galaxy s 2 is going to be great and touch wiz 4.0 looks a lot better than what they have put out. and CM will update a lot as they seem to have been doing since they started. SO the problem of sammy not updating the Galaxy s Phones in the us may not matter.
I am SOOOOOO EXCITED
21. TyDeL (unregistered) posted on 08 Jun 2011, 10:05 1 0
Wow, definitely an awesome move. I was on the fence with Samsung, but this is a huge move towards putting the company in a great light to know that they'll openly support the mod community. It's making me question going with my current phone choice and debate holding off for the SGS2. If that phone was available next week in the States, I'd buy it without a seconds hesitation.
24. GALAXY-S posted on 08 Jun 2011, 11:54 0 0
thats pretty Cool, now im for sure going to get that phone once its here!!
25. Larry_ThaGr81 posted on 08 Jun 2011, 12:00 1 0
I knew it was only a matter of time before phone manufacturers started realizing that they were only shooting themselves in the foot. Way to go HTC for unlocking the boot loaders on your products, and big shot out to Samsung for raising the bar and giving away their products to some of the biggest developers in the rooting community for them to customize. It's truly a win for both the phone manufacturers and customers. I've heard that Motorola plans to unlock their boot loaders, but they've lost this customer forever because of the strong stance they've taken against unlocked boot loaders to begin with. It may very well be too late for them to gain back the customers they've lost over the locked boot loaders, but only time will tell.
29. Путешествия|отд (unregistered) posted on 17 Sep 2011, 07:09 0 0
You have really interesting blog, keep up posting such informative posts!