Samsung expanding Galaxy Gear smartwatch compatibility to the Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2 and many others
0. phoneArena 23 Oct 2013, 02:57 posted on
Samsung's Galaxy Gear smartwatch wasn't much of use for anyone but Note 3 owners until recently, but that is all about to change, as Samsung announced compatibility with its most popular handsets. Galaxy Gear will be now compatible to those Galaxy S4, S III, and Note II owners who got the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update that started rolling out in Germany first...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2099; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Wait for next Gears for more smartness.
2. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Finally! Great work on Samsung's part. Still, it is quite expensive and not that useful. Can't wait too see other manufacturers having a go at smartwatches.
5. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1929; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
The Galaxy S2 is done for. It's a 2.5 year old device that was supported for a full 2 years. Be happy with that. I can't think of any Android device up until this point that received updates longer.
15. sguyx (Posts: 9; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Sounds like a barely year old Note 10.1 is also too old, I quess...
No news about getting it work with Gear - a tablet size phone and incompatible with Gear. So sad... But so typical behaviour from Samsung, they totally forgot their customers who have huge phones carried in bags and Gear was definitely a needed accessory for Note 10.1. A premium price device and only premium was the price. It is even incompatible with the new SNote :/
16. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1929; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
The first Note 10.1 has the same processor as the Note 2, just clocked at a lower speed. The fact that Samsung hasn't announced whether or not it's receiving 4.3 does not mean it's not. Be patient.
4. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 664; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Great support by Samsung :)
Updating whole lot of phones to Android4.3 before certain manufacturers have even updated their flagships!
13. sguyx (Posts: 9; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Lucky you. I have a tablet sized phone (10.1.. n8000) and no news about getting an update. And Note 10.1 is a definitely a phone which needs Gear.
6. JunitoNH (Posts: 757; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
they are not being good guys, just don't have a choice. Either support more devices, or get stuck with an inventory of wonder woman bracelets.
7. batman888 (Posts: 37; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)
even you dumb iSuckers dont have a choice.It is only rotten Apple that you think of
9. Blazers (Posts: 147; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Don't be a douche bag. Just people someone says truth, you brand them iFans. What a bunch of idiots.
12. JunitoNH (Posts: 757; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Thx you, what an idiot, I don't even own Apple devices.
8. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 932; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
I like the fact that they're going to send updates to other Samsung phones like the Note 2 and S3 for the Galaxy Gear. The only problem I have with the SmartWatch is the price. I'd pay no more than $200 for the Galaxy Gear.
10. Blazers (Posts: 147; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
This was always in the plans to support these devices. Why is everyone so excited and acting like this is brand new news?
11. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 932; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
Its not "brand new" news, but Samsung thought about the Galaxy Gear being compatible with older devices. Like I said, I like the idea, but price will prevent people from buying it right now
14. sguyx (Posts: 9; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Well... I would definitely be excited if my phone, Note 10.1, would get the update needed to work with Gear. Im more like frustrated, a barely year old device and no news about getting update...
17. tezzly (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
If you have an at&t or the international Galaxy Note 2 you can already update to 4.3. Its pretty easy heres a guild for the At&t one: youtube.com/watch?v=e-m0KepXuPA&feature=share&list=UUZSjG3KTUBvvAEl8tvCwiXw