Samsung demos foldable display concepts, including a phone-to-tablet device
0. phoneArena 07 Nov 2013, 03:40 posted on
Samsung hinted about foldable displays being on tap for 2015 release at its analyst event presentation yesterday, and it has seemingly also showed concept device prototypes to investors...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2018; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Dayummm that's pretty cool.. I wouldn't put it in my back pocket tho... Craaaaackk
19. mturby (unregistered)
boring..this is NOT cool. its just a stupid concept, something they have not been able to create yet, wich means they have not invented yet. Unlike LG and its real flexible phone. They are trying to tell us: remember customers, we will create a flexible display, dont forget that. wich is very pathetic beacuse LG already did it and now samsung is scared.
21. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
are you dumb.....the samsung galaxy round was the first with a curved phone not the LG....dude learn something next time!!
26. androiphone20 (Posts: 1637; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
oh man, lulz this is by far the most nonsensical comment ever to show up on PA
38. mturby (unregistered)
r u idiot? curved is not the same as flexible!
22. doubler86 (Posts: 320; Member since: 26 Jan 2011)
The difference is when Samsung create's it, it will actually sell
27. androiphone20 (Posts: 1637; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
+1, feature phones are coming back baby! yea I'll stick to my smartphone, fair-dos
30. akki20892 (Posts: 3776; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Hey do u guys seen invisible iPhone lol. I'm talking about iPhone parody.
3. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
making internals foldable is a serious challenge
12. _Bone_ (Posts: 2148; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
They don't have to be. The two sides are still flat.
16. Finalflash (Posts: 2099; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea as long as they're mainly flat parts, you can modularized several components.
5. Sire3008 (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Reminds me of Nokia Morph days... Damn I like that company
8. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
nokia morph... if only it was made nokias shares would have skyrocketed and nokia wouldntve become so miserable
6. Sondae (Posts: 219; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
I like this type of folding or clamp phone kinda bad it looks fat.
14. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Since there's going to be a fold mark in the middle anyway, why can't they just make this phone with two separate flat screens like the old fashion clamp phones instead of a single flexible screen so they can make the phone thinner?
7. JMartin22 (Posts: 1582; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Physically speaking, it's impossible to make components such as modules, processors, batteries and circuitry flexible. What they'll do is probably have a portion of the hardware flexible (the crease area) and keep all the physical components on the side of the (crease) area with wires running through it.
15. pellegrini (Posts: 84; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
Never say that something is impossible....
Lg is already making flexibles batteries....http://goo.gl/W8AmIG
With graphene we can make flexible circuits ...http://goo.gl/hzkM13
Lets just wait and enjoy!
9. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
The only thing that worries me with this is (after some usage) getting a crease in the middle of the screen. Its not like we can iron it out
10. livyatan (Posts: 865; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
THAT'S what I was talking about!
The first company that makes this concept truly working, mature and functional, will conquer the market.
I would be shocked if Samsung hadn't patented this already.
20. mturby (unregistered)
it will be LG, and samsung is scared of losing that position.
32. jmonteiro829 (Posts: 133; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
You obviously do not keep up with the news about smartphones. Samsung was first with the Galaxy Round. "If only there was a tool..... Some.... thing that information can be looked up on at any time"
34. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 731; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Stop!! Ur making so much nonsense
31. jmonteiro829 (Posts: 133; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
They both settled their display patent suits. This has been reported on already. I am sure there is some collaboration on the technology use.
11. funyguy (banned) (Posts: 6; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
This phone is such bulls**t, is an insult for peoples IQ, Samsung should be ashamed of tricking people,
13. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
LOL I kinda have to agree with you. I don't think the technology is yet possible, because its too futuristic of an idea. Samsung is just rackin up hype for something that isn't possible yet. So no point in making ads and stuff about it.
18. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1793; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
We might think it's too futuristic to be true, but maybe they already have a prototype in their R&D lab. Let's wait and see what they will bring us :D I'm actually kind of excited for it. Look back at 2008 when Nokia came out with the Nokia Morph concept and now Samsung is just going to beat Nokia to it. Even though the Nokia Morph is more unreachable at this point. But who knows, because we are not the ones working in those companies' R&D lab.
My one concern is after times after times of folding the phone/tablet.... something is going to break eventually.
23. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
what the f**k are you guys on....this technology is around but samsung are just putting it together!!
29. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1793; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
What am I on? The awesome Summy Train of the Future :D I totally think they can put something out by the end of next year. However, I still concern about the the durability. Any moving or rotating parts are subjected to fatigued failure over time. It doesn't matter it's a flexible part or not.
33. jmonteiro829 (Posts: 133; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
What is wrong with a company showing the direction that they are moving towards? It is just smart keeping people interested in the technology that they make.
37. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1793; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I'm totally on broad with them :D show me more concept products. Because that's where final product come from
24. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
the "one of the biggest most useless troll" award goes to......funyguy! Next time don't share your views no one cares!
28. funnyguy (banned) (Posts: 244; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
Don't worry ,Next time I will share my views exclusively with your mum
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7011; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Can't wait for this too come out.
35. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1573; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
After a 1000 folds the screen will worn out.haahaa.
36. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1573; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
After a 1000 folds the screen will worn out..why am I even here?!..