Samsung confirms it will release “competitive Tizen devices” this year
0. phoneArena 03 Jan 2013, 10:00 posted on
Samsung confirmed it will indeed release smart devices based on the new Tizen operating system it is co-developing with Intel…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Exactly. There's not much room left for 'improvement' which can be called a real innovation. Not anyone's at fault here.
9. MeoCao (unregistered)
There is room for innovation, but it takes huge efforts and resources and requires the kind of know how which is not SS's strength right now.
I remember it was said that about 20millions dollars are spent on Tizen a year, that's just pale against hundreds of millions Google spends on Android.
20. kanagadeepan (Posts: 916; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
I beg to differ... However perfect one may be, there is still room for improvement...
22. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1119; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Just to point out there is somewhat of a flaw in that statement: if there is no real room left for "improvement" then there wouldn't be a need for Android to keep updating. I mean there is already talk about Android 5.0. I think people say those sorts of things without realizing there is indeed room for improvement. Just wait til next year when you will say how much better Android 5.2 is than Android 5.0 or even Android 4.2. The truth of the matter is that just because you don't see anything left to innovate does not mean the developers see the same thing.
25. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
lol everybody keeps dissing on that post. Didn't you all see the word 'much'? This is REALLY tough time for someone to start from scratch. Android, iOS and WP (maybe BB10) are so advanced already, with all the research done which has took billions of dollars.
Don't you think they've already patented much of the innovations? I just said that it's really hard now, and new players have little chance of success.
28. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1119; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Yes, they've patented a lot of innovations, but according to you there is a limit to innovation when, in reality, there isn't. The truth of the matter is there are probably ideas out there that you or I could never even have thought of that may be used in future OS'. I was highly impressed with the video showcasing the new Ubuntu for phones. I would just wait and see how this turns out.
Also, Samsung has patented several OS-related innovations that will most likely be used in Tizen. It has the backing of Samsung and Intel which is pretty significant. Not to mention it has the support of Sprint. (Also, I didn't thumbs you down).
4. MeoCao (unregistered)
SS software capabilities are nowhere near Google's, and Google spends hundreds of millions of dollars every year to develop Android.
Will SS spend billions dollars to develop Tizen, I hope they will but I think they won't.
w/o massive investment Tizen cannot compete, and Tizen phone will be like Bada or Activ S, an Android phone recycled with an unpolished different OS.
35. bluescreen (Posts: 154; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
didnt u just say this eariler? why state baiscally the same thing over again?
24. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
atleast sammy trying out different OSes .....
36. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
i bet ya its gonna be revamped Bada OS and nothing special... may be voip service activated for this one and thats it! i know samsung from a long time and thats the most they can do for their own os. love the "Android side of samsung" but not the others cause it bitterly fails in other OSs...
3. Valdomero (Posts: 160; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
nothing much to see in the video to make a statement
5. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 590; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
I still say Windows Phone will ulitmately win the bronze medal. My 2 cents.
10. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
My 2 cents on MS winning silver medal. Android gold for sure, iOS might suffer.
6. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I don't know... the name Tizen just don't sound impressive... It probably does have a lot of potential... but... Tizen? Come on, Come up with a better name.
7. JGuinan007 (Posts: 680; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Looks like android éclair why would you want a OS from 2 years ago?
11. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
Agreed. Ultimately it might not be as successful as Android, iOS and Windows but another competitor on the scene helps keep everyone on their toes.
32. joey_sfb (Posts: 5431; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Hope it will be a viable choice in two years plus Intel, Samsung better arm to the teeths with two words, patents and apps in appstore.
12. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 254; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Every time I see Tizen, it looks like the love child of Android and iOS. And I have no doubt that Apple is going to try and slap Samsung with another design patent lawsuit when Tizen is released.
30. wendygarett (unregistered)
This is the thing that Samsung wants to... Trying to taunt Apple... In order to boost tizen sales
In this era... Lawsuits fee = advertising fee :)
13. buccob (Posts: 2522; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Not very appealing... sluggish and what was shown was a ripoff of android home screen and settings menu.
Not interested in more OS... what we need is keep adding features to current OSs and polishing them.
15. Aeires (unregistered)
The open and close functions look fast but that scrolling was horrendous.
17. mick25 (banned) (Posts: 110; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Not sure what you were expecting from a beta that was released months ago.
23. Aeires (unregistered)
Scrolling isn't a new concept.
16. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Longer video footage please!! I'm always welcome for a new OS :D More options the better
18. papss (unregistered)
Not to sure looking at that video but could be interesting..
19. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
it seems the idea of Samsung saying goodbye to Android is getting serious, that would be a bad news for Sammy
27. cncrim (Posts: 805; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
We know they want to have their own app market since day one, if you look at samsung mobile beside GooglecPlay there is Samsung app market too, but i dont see they can get cut android anytime soon at least 3 to 4 more years anyway.
21. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
sammy trying out different OSes .... come on any meego device if possible
26. cncrim (Posts: 805; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
This look promising and great but seem to me little too late in the game. Take a look WM and RIM, they are great OS and design just too late.
29. roscuthiii (Posts: 2209; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Looks like there's some potential there.... but, they're gonna have to put a whole lot more effort into if they want to make it a viable competitor. Right now, the Ubunto mobile OS has more of my interest.
34. -RVM- (Posts: 331; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
It appears that this is only Samsung's backup plan OS in case something goes wrong with Android. UI is boring as hell. Especially when comparing to upcoming jolla's Sailfish or Ubuntu.
37. bayusuputra (Posts: 961; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Well, that was underwhelming.. Let's see when it comes out.. But for now, after seeing this video, i am more interested in Sailfish and Ubuntu Phone..
My prediction for 2013:
- android would take top spot for mobile OS
- iOS would be second with WP closing in
- Hopefully BB could make a comeback, but probably would be the same level as Bada
- Jolla and Ubuntu would be the favorite underdogs
- Tizen would follow
39. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
- Ubuntu for mobile is coming early 2014, not 2013
- Android is already take top spot
- Bada is discountinuing and will be replaced by Tizen, so BB wont be the same level as Bada, i am sure the percentage is higher than Bada
38. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
what i think after watched the video:
- long startup
- same standard UI
not very good impression for me, i just hope it is far better than this after the release
40. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
If Samsung releases UBUNTU phones in 2014 i will buy one :)
41. ebubekir26 (Posts: 315; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Nooo , android is the best , i hope samsung will always release android operating phones -_-