Samsung confirms Oct 27th event, but it's for the Galaxy Note, not Nexus Prime
0. phoneArena 13 Oct 2011, 09:37 posted on
Samsung postponed its October 11th CTIA event, which - rumor was - had to bring the Nexus Prime and Google’s new Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, and since then speculations circled…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. superguy (Posts: 281; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Boo. Bring out the Prime and ICS! Verizon needs some love.
4. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, we are so jaded that a monster phone with monster specs that tops the field.. is boring.. lolol :)
8. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Then the prime better not disappoint or im getting a tab-phone or a note. :(
18. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i think im getting the prime regardless.. lol. the HD screen and ICS will be enough to tide me over for now. Been playing with the SGS2 hercules.. i think thats as big as i want to go for phone dementions.
29. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1053; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Well, they both have HD screens. So, you're real reason for getting the Prime would be ICS and a smaller screen size. Although if the most recent rumors of the Prime are true (TI OMAP processor), the Note would then be the more powerful than the Prime.
One of the things I cannot wait for is Samsung's ChatOn service which is premiering with the Note.
37. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
there's two things you're missing, LTE and the contacts on the side that are rumored to connect to a larger Tablet.
47. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1053; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
If you look up the specifications for the Galaxy Note it has the option of HSPA+ and LTE. Also, the need for a tablet wouldn't be there if you had the Note.
49. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
it doesn't mean that it'll come to the States with it. plenty of phones can use LTE but they won't for some reason or the other. i'm sure plenty of people would rather have the versatility of a smaller phone that can become a full sized tablet than meeting somewhere in the middle although the Note will please some people who want just that.
50. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Oh, dont get me wrong, I like the note, but without actually playing with it, I think it might actually be too big, even for me. Like i said, just going off the hercules demensions which are smaller than the note's, thats about as big as i can go and be comfortable.
Also, many of the rumors are now pointing to the Exynos 4212 chip being in the Prime. We will find out for sure on the 19th finally though.
That and I think i just want the constant updates that nexus's bring. No more update drama.. id always be updated. :)
12. kenshiro (Posts: 42; Member since: 12 Sep 2011)
You must be high if you think the Nexus Prime will be Verizon exclusive.
21. superguy (Posts: 281; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
it's supposed to be an exclusive for a limited time, with the other carriers getting it later.
Nexus phones being exclusive to a carrier isn't anything new.
24. kenshiro (Posts: 42; Member since: 12 Sep 2011)
It won't be. Verizon has not done anything to deserve exclusivity of the phone for any period of time over other carriers. T-Mobile got excusivity because they were the first to carry Android when no one else would and they are still a very strong supporter of the platform. Google will not ignore their relationship with T-Mobile for Verizon's deep pockets. After all, Verizon subscribers like you that overpay for service are the reason they deep pockets at all.
28. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
News flash... the DROID brand did more to spur the growth of Android in the US than any other. So while T-Mobile may have been the first, Verizon helped push it mainstream. All they need do to deserve a Nexus is lay off the bloatware.
30. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1053; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Implying the Nexus S wasn't exclusive with Sprint for the longest time, and technically still is as you can only buy the AT&T version through Best Buy.
36. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
the Nexus S came out for T-Mobile first and then came to Sprint w/ WiMAX a few months later.
48. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1053; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
You're right I was thinking of another phone. WHOOPS!
34. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
oh so having the first Eclair Phone (which made Android popular) and the first Honeycomb Tablet don't count for anything huh? :P
42. Yeeee (Posts: 190; Member since: 02 Aug 2011)
verizons doing a droid upgrade thing that if you stay loyal to android you get earlier upgrades. They do deserve it.
46. superguy (Posts: 281; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
And Verizon has put out more Droid phones than anyone else. What's your point?
There's more money to be made with Verizon. If Sammy and Google see money it, and Verizon's willing to pay for an exclusive, they're going to do it.
It's not like Nexus phones have been exclusive forever. AT&T has one and so does Sprint.
Don't let your hate for Verizon cloud your judgment. It comes down to money - nothing more, nothing less.
2. oddmanout (Posts: 442; Member since: 22 May 2009)
Nexus Prime, where the f#%k are you???? I need you!!!!
Oh and if theyre making last minute changes on ICS I hope they do something about those icons...
13. Synack (Posts: 674; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Like like and like. If Google doesn't change those icons then I certainly will do it myself. Rooting and modding FTW.
3. rich7sena (unregistered)
As an AT&T loyalist, I am excited about the prospects that the Galaxy Note has. I might already have an Iphone by that date, but still interesting none the less.
5. internet idiot (unregistered)
So, when can I get my hands on this girly phoneblet in the states with no contract?
Come one Samsung, appease your early adopters.
6. sbeezy (unregistered)
I'm about to go crazy!!! I want the DROID Prime and I want it now!!! Apple needs to leave samsung alone just long enough, so Verizon can put my Prime safely in my warm anti-iphone mits...
Sent from my Outdated DROIDX! !!
26. nickjjay (Posts: 79; Member since: 10 Oct 2011)
If there was a Facebook like button, I would be hitting right now. That's hilarious. Sent from my outdated droid x! :-)
7. droidcandy13895 (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
if ios is TITANIC then it will meet its iceberg in ICS.....the guillotine countdown timer has started ticking
9. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
People, people, settle the hell down. The Nexus Prime was rumored for early November as far back as I can remember. They still have 3 weeks to introduce it on "schedule".
35. Leodrade (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
it's confirmed now, October 19 is the official release date
51. Firedrops (Posts: 233; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
True, but with its current leaked specs it would easily overshadow the droid Razr if it launched within the same few days.
10. Brian L (unregistered)
I'm sick of this. Its getting so frustrating waiting for anything concrete about this blasted phone. If they don't announce it soon, I'm just going to fold and get an Epic 4G Touch and be done with it.
11. dacastrator (Posts: 232; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
patience my friend. it will come pretty soon. and it has to.
15. lilstevie (unregistered)
That'll sure show Samsung! Punish them by buying another one of their products.
16. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
patience people it will be coming soon...dont think will have to wait any longer than a month and the amoled hd screen is worth waiting for it alone for me
20. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That's my primary reason for wanting the Prime. I've waited over a year for Android phones to catch up to the crispness of the iPhone 4's screen. Say what you will about iOS, that screen is a thing of beauty. Combine that fine resolution with Super AMOLED and it'll blow other displays away.
Oh and ICS looks pretty neat, too.
23. roldefol (Posts: 4097; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Hasn't the "bigger is better" trend hit critical mass with the Note? How much phone are people going to want to hold up to their ears?
25. tech-head (Posts: 132; Member since: 02 Sep 2011)
Please lord let the Nexus Prime come to AT&T.
27. AndroidShiz (unregistered)
Arrrrgh! I'm gonna go to BestBuy, buy a SGS 2, and just take it back in the next 45 days for a full refund if something better comes out.
31. warlockz (Posts: 156; Member since: 10 Oct 2011)
I'm going to give it until the end of November if not might end up picking up a glorified app launcher phone lol at least I know its built strong and within a year they will release a update. But nexus is the first choice.!! Samsung hurry up lol or else apple will ban you in every part of the globe.
33. Leodrade (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
If you don't like big phones what are you doing here? Go play with an Iphone 4s
38. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3099; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Well the thing did say "Something BIG was coming" And it only makes sense that they were talking about the Galaxy Note, which has a 5.3 inch display if I'm not correct.
41. Thump3rDX17 (Posts: 2160; Member since: 10 May 2010)
it didn't tease a picture of the Note. it doesn't have a curved screen. i believe they'll unveil Tablet dock functionality with the Prime.
39. ecml490 (unregistered)
It's been confirmed that Samsung and Google has rescheduled the event to October, 19th!
40. Commentator (Posts: 3377; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Engadget just reported that the ICS event is on the 19th.
44. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
galaxy nexus and ICS event rescheduled for the 18th of October in honk kong next week....
lol everyone was compling it was delayed because of this rumour and that rumour
45. superguy (Posts: 281; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Looks like PA ended up being wrong and confused some events. Now supposed to be announced next Tuesday evening (in the US). ^