Samsung confirms March 14th introduction of the Samsung Galaxy S IV?
All Things D that Samsung will indeed unveil the Samsung Galaxy S IV on March 14th in New York City. The spokesman had nothing further to say, which is unfortunate because we'd love to hear if the latest specs we have for the device are correct. That would include the 4.99 inch SoLux display with a quad-core 1.9GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor on board and 2GB of RAM on board. There will be 16GB/32GB and 64GB models of the phone available with a 13MP camera on back.
While this is certainly exciting news, especially when you consider that Samsung expects to sell 100 million units of the Samsung Galaxy S IV, we have a number of exciting devices that will be introduced in Barcelona over the next several days. Keep your eyes right here for the best MWC 2013 coverage! Now by a show of hands, how many have been reading our pre-show stories?
37. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 2447; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
But will it be any different from the previous models?
38. MrJerry (Posts: 366; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Will it have to have S-Map then to be different?
44. Jonathan41 (Posts: 525; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
*The processor may be wrong though.
46. MrNobodyWTB (Posts: 24; Member since: 03 Jan 2012)
May be wrong. But it's been rumored that it is *NOT* going to have the OCTA in it. So it very well might have the Qualcomm chip.
49. Jonathan41 (Posts: 525; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
I was talking about my link. Meaning that I was suggesting the SG4 WON'T have an OCTA in it. I didn't want to flat out say the "processor is wrong" because, I can't say for sure until the 14th but, I'm 99% it will have a 600 inside.
60. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
You are talking about the new Samsung Galaxy S IV or new Apple iPhone ?
64. lolioslol (banned) (Posts: 182; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Of course it will, dumbass. It's SAMSUNG, not apple. You know, the company that actually innovates and can do something besides resize the ipod and sell it under a different name? apphail is a one trick pony and their plummeting stock reflects that.
50. No_Nonsense (Posts: 825; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
The conference date is now officially scheduled. Samsung Galaxy S4 is coming on 14th March. Confirmed by Samsung Mobile via Twitter.
54. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
haha is ur comment bad? 4 dislikes lol
.. @haters-no sense of disliking the comment
2. ama3654 (Posts: 233; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Please come with sturdy design(Aluminium/Ceramic/Polycarbonate), Exynos 5 Octa, Mali T678, Super Amoled FHD full RGB, Wolfson audio DAC and you have 2013!
3. kobainez (Posts: 263; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Not amoled bt lcd and not exynos bt snapdragon..
4. nlbates66 (Posts: 133; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
I seriously don't believe it will come with a SoLux display or whatever rubbish has been rumoured, will have to wait and see.
40. MrJerry (Posts: 366; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
I'm only guessing though...
Sammy without Amoled and Exynos sounds like they'd give up their soul
We will see...
52. Retro-touch (Posts: 234; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
If the screen is better than AMOLED and the processor is the best available atm I don't see that as a bad move by Samsung, if the software is great and hardware as good as usual by Samsung they will make tons of sales, using Snapdragon could mean that custom ROMS will be easier to make for it, since Samsung is notorious for having poor sources for Exynos
55. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
the leaked boot screen(Galaxy s4 LCD based) has wrong Samsung Galaxy text logo.. so it is certainly fake
the g in Samsung must be on top of the X of the GALAXY
5. Hemoroid (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
I can't wait! Sammy you are in my heart! No other phone company can compare. Octacore anyone? Please phonearena it is going to have a octacore, correct it.
10. gokusimpson (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Feb 2013)
It's not really an octo core since it uses only 4 cores at a time (4 powerful cores or 4 battery saving cores). It's like saying a Tegra 3 is a pentacore because it has 4 powerful cores and 1 battery saving core.
13. Hemoroid (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
That is not true! Sammy has promised octacore. They will deliver.
16. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1388; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It is true. Go do some research, goofball.
22. Hemoroid (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Why are you hating Sammy so much you Nokiafanboy???
26. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1388; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
What is wrong with you? I'm not hating on Samsung & I am definitely NOT a Nokia fanboy. I own a Galaxy Note 2 & it is the easily the best phone I've ever owned. Since you are too damn dense to believe what's being said to you, here's a link. Hope your head doesn't explode.
35. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3273; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
In basic terms, it is octo core. However, only 4 cores can be activated at a time. There are 4 A7 cores (battery savers), and 4 A15 cores (monster performers). The A7 cores do basic tasks; flipping through the home screens, using basic utility apps, light web browsing (maybe gaming, not sure), etc.
When those A7 cores get overloaded however, the A15 cores flip on and take care of the task at hand; and once things have calmed down for the A7 cores, the A15 cores go dormant again.
A15 is too power hungry to be by itself, so it needs the big.Little architecture to keep power consumption at a minimum, while giving you the performance of an A15 processor when needed.
He was right, it is like calling Tegra 3 a penta core processor; numerically it is, but technically it isn't because it flips between the single battery saving core and the power hungry quad core but never uses all 5 cores at once.
The Exynos 5 Octa is numerically an octo core processor, but technically it's only quad core.
Or at least that's my understanding of it, if I made a mistake feel free to correct me.
Also, the Galaxy S4 probably won't have the Octa in it because of over heating problems, or at least that's what was reported.
30. Taters (Posts: 1768; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Who cares. If the engineers didn't call it the Exynos 5 octa, the marketing department would have. Either way, it is the right move. It is much more convincing ploy than something like boom sound, 4 ultra pixel, etc.
Octacore just sounds beastly.
6. jonartpop (Posts: 148; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
I hope it would be cooler than Xperia Z or HTC One haha.
12. Hemoroid (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Yeah iam so tired by all these Htc and nokia fanboys wining all the time about their crappy devices.
17. jonartpop (Posts: 148; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
They build great flagship phones but not as great as Samsung imo :P especially the OS update support thing.
27. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 321; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Like it's gonna fail or something for not being cooler than Sony or HTC.
9. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
There is no better place to announce the Galaxy S4 than Manhattan New York City it's definitely the place to be. Samsung will shock the world with specs and software solutions. Can't wait.
11. blackice214 (Posts: 160; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Galaxy S4 got screwed this year, oh well Xperia Z or another flagship device.
15. Hemoroid (Posts: 70; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
This is a Sammy GS4 news, stop annoying and respect it.
56. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
XZ got screwed already by HTC One..
XZ's only unique selling point ryt now is its water and dust resistance
59. SleepingOz (Posts: 2012; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The GSIV isn't out yet so how can you tell? Please, don't take your dreams for reality.
14. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 229; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
The GS3 can't even do a simple function as 'copy and paste' without crashing and they're releasing the 4th one already?
18. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1388; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
No surprise that the trolls are already coming out of the woodwork.
21. ama3654 (Posts: 233; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
they can't help themselves, its fear and insecurity worrying them
42. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 229; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
@ g2a5b0e What would you know about work?
61. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1388; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
What do I know about work? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean or what it even has to do with anything. I have a job, so I guess I know about work.
36. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
You know this guy really meant talk about his iphone. Don't hate appreciate android and the Galaxy S3.
41. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 229; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Samsung has known about this issue since October and still hasn't fixed it.
47. maccess (Posts: 398; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
i knew about that issue.. after read the news i tried to copy paste some document from a website with my s3.. then nothing happened with my phone.. so i assumed not every s3 in this world got this problem..
48. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 229; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
@maccess Fortunately mine was plagued with this flaw. So Verizon gave me a Droid DNA as a replacement.
53. Retro-touch (Posts: 234; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
So what its not the end of the world cause something happened to you, millions of others are enjoying the GS3 without said issue, go back to your cave
58. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 229; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Never said it was the end of the world. I simply pointed out a flaw in the GS3 that Samsung continually refuse to fix. That is all.
Now go back to your physically undesirable mom's basement.
20. Mehdia (Posts: 20; Member since: 22 Apr 2012)
Samsung VS Apple & Htc & Lg & Motorola & Sony & Nokia
All in Brabds is more enemy SAmsung
Samsung Coomooon Knowk out All Brands
Good Job Sammy
23. GMS85 (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Overrated product! Actually I'm using S3 and I really hate it! Can't wait to get my Sony Xperia Z
29. archangel9 (Posts: 226; Member since: 07 Feb 2010)
What better way to do it at esp.NY!!!Round the corner from the fruit store
31. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 321; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I think it will set a new record for number of pre-orders.
32. Taters (Posts: 1768; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I can't wait. Although the HTC fans are probably less patience than we are. They are probably praying to god that people will buy the HTC One before the GS4 released. And they are probably praying that the GS4 doesn't trounce the HTC One. Although it probably already did considering they have the buttons in the right places already unlike the HTC One.
That is all it needs really. Buttons in the right place like the GS3 and a 3000 mah battery and then the HTC One is as good as done.
39. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3273; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Why so rude, you hurt my feelings as an HTC fan :'(
Seriously though, I wouldn't consider myself a HTC fan. I'm a fan of any manufacturer that gives great build quality and uses a good OS and/or custom UI. Sony, Motorola, HTC, and Nokia (to an extent) fit that; HTC more so than the others.
If the GS4 has good build quality and better software features (I'm 95% positive that it will have better software), I'll be more than happy to compare it to the HTC One as an option for my new device when my upgrade comes in April, or I just might buy it unlocked if the carrier branding bugs me.
I'm a fan of Samsung's software (as of 2012), their displays, and their usually high spec count. I'm just completely turned away from their products with the design though. This Galaxy S2 I have will be the first and last Samsung smartphone I own if the GS4 doesn't have good build quality.
Also, button placement is judged by preference and 3,000 mAh is a dream bubble that's bound to be popped. Samsung barely fit a 3,100 mAh battery in the Note II which the GS4 will be nowhere close to in terms of size. I expect no more than 2,600 mAh, and that's being optimistic.
63. Taters (Posts: 1768; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Button placement is about ergonomics, unless everyone doesn't have 5 fingers and thumbs in the same place, placing the power button on the top left of such a tall phone and placing the home button where yoiu have to bend your thumb unnaturally is poor button placement, yet HTC never learns.
As far as the battery, if Motorola can do it, I am sure Samsung can. Or they can just buy the batteries from them.
Now that we know the Qualcomm 800 is ready for a ZTE phone, the HTC fans are now praying that the GS4 doesn't use a 800.
33. mydi.maus (unregistered)
OPTIMUS G2 IS BEST
43. bruindog (Posts: 31; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Trying to keep an open mind this time around. I think I over hyped the GS3 myself and although I was disappointed at first it grew on me and is my favorite phone to date. I'm just looking forward to see what innovation Sammy is offering this time around and if it will be a true upgrade to the GS3. Not just a Galaxy S3 S like good old apple is known for. Give me a better screen, better processor, better cam, and bigger battery and ill pre order this baby in a heartbeat.