Samsung challenge Chrome with its own mobile web browser
0. phoneArena posted on 24 Sep 2012, 18:41
The word around the mobile tech water cooler is that Samsung is looking to differentiate (read: fail to improve) its smartphones with a brand new web browser that it is building in house. The browser is expected to be based on WebKit, just like Google Chrome, and Apple's Safari...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. jjjsong posted on 24 Sep 2012, 18:52 1 4
Hopefully it's good and they'll release it as an app where people can download and use (although probably unlikely).
3. rusticguy posted on 24 Sep 2012, 18:56 5 1
Hope they don't plan sMAPS as next big thing ... for me i use default android browser though i have all downloaded for testing responsive sites that we do .. all means maxthon/dolphin/chrome/firefox/opera :)
4. Mxyzptlk posted on 24 Sep 2012, 18:57 4 3
If they keep this up TouchWiz will become an OS while the Android built under it will be lost in the shuffle.
8. rusticguy posted on 24 Sep 2012, 19:05 5 0
They will launch "BANDROID" a cross between BADA and Android with their own browser .. hmmm so that's why they are doing their own browser ... :D
20. noim1 posted on 24 Sep 2012, 22:28 0 1
They are working on Tizen that's why they are using android as a test OS...i am sure..
24. Ohrules posted on 25 Sep 2012, 01:05 2 0
wow, for once you got more thumbs up than thumbs down :P
6. nofear posted on 24 Sep 2012, 19:00 0 0
Replica of web Chrome browser from window base is great. UI is definitely need some attention. Chrome installed on my Asus T300 provide endless features and I loved it.
10. remixfa posted on 24 Sep 2012, 19:26 3 1
its easy. partner with Dolphin or Opera, keep flash support, add a few hooks to samsung apps, rebrand. Bam. "samsung browser". :)
28. protozeloz posted on 25 Sep 2012, 07:53 0 0
correction.... S-browser :) but i don't like that idea chrome is gonna kick its ass anyways
11. Joshing4fun posted on 24 Sep 2012, 19:35 7 2
Samsung is slowly taking step by step to become their own "Apple" and branch off from google.
12. Apple_Royally_ (banned) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 19:36 0 0
Puffin web-browser is the best. it takes 6seconds to load PhoneArena with Flash on. Beat that.
13. christianqwerty posted on 24 Sep 2012, 20:27 4 0
I prefer the stock browser on the s3 than chrome
15. remtothemax posted on 24 Sep 2012, 20:38 0 0
yay, another reason for android updates to be delayed on samsung devices
just what we need
17. webOSlove posted on 24 Sep 2012, 22:04 0 0
the stock Jellybean browser is faster than Chrome
19. aokde posted on 24 Sep 2012, 22:14 1 2
One does not simply compete with google.(read=look what happened to apple, yahoo, and soon microsoft with windows)
25. ilia1986 posted on 25 Sep 2012, 02:10 3 0
Actually chrome on SGS3 4.04 isn't the smoothest. It's 300 times better than on iOS, yes, but still - I hope Samsung delivers something that is lighter and smoother.
Then again - maybe on 4.1 Chrome will be better.
Oh and yeah - I sold my iPhone 4 at last and got the SGS3. :) Screw you, Apple! :D
26. Samsomesh posted on 25 Sep 2012, 03:59 0 0
But did chrome supports flash?? Samsung should develop browser which will support flash contents..like one on safari.!
27. thelegend6657 posted on 25 Sep 2012, 04:52 1 0
What Samsung contributed to the Android and webkit source code . Why people still dumb to think that Samsung is a do no evil and all good company ? I agree that one google but Samsung is just the same as apple !
Btw can I port the ics browser to jellybean on my GNexus ? Old ics browser is better than chrome
29. addicted2088 posted on 25 Sep 2012, 09:35 0 0
Samsung did one good thing to the default browser during the Gingerbread days: add hardware acceleration to it even though Android itself did not have it, so the browser on the Galaxy S on Gingerbread was the smoothest there was.
But to see their own browser is not a thing I would want to see, but then again, I only buy Nexus devices, so won't really bother me.