Samsung announces the Galaxy Gear smartwatch: a companion to your Note 3 for $299
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2013, 12:45 posted on
Samsung has finally announced the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch, and we're happy to report that it does not look exactly like the leak we saw last week. The design of the Gear is similar to what we saw, but the bezels are tapered, so it doesn't look quite as big, and what had been a matte plastic, now looks to be a polished chrome finish. There are still the odd screws on the bezel though...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
13. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
That's for spy cam.. You know recording videos while watching in a Movie house :)
62. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
spy cam never thought of that.
45. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
hmm, i really like the camera... i guess im the only one?
5. tedkord (Posts: 11941; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Does it have a poison dart launcher? I want that.
6. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
It looks waaaaay better than that Ugly prototype!
P.S: Still prefer Sony's.
24. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
but sony paired their smartwatch 2 with colorful straps and they look amazingly stupid.
that angular sony smartwatch design looks best with a formal-like strap, not colorful neon-y straps for kids.
40. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Dont forget that Gear works ONLY with Samsung devices:
7. McLTE (Posts: 854; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I'd say the design is pretty conservative, which isn't a bad thing.
I'm SO SO SO SO glad it looks like a WATCH and not some futuristic dork apparatus.
Overall I'm impressed by their first shot at a smart watch. I do like the sony design better at this point.. so it really comes down to seeing them in person and price.
60. timukh (Posts: 294; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Also the battery life should improve. After all its a watch. So nearly a day of battery life isnt good enough.
8. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Look out d**k Tracy, won't be long before this is a viable reality. Would like to see an update on battery life though.
11. Commentator (Posts: 3705; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
We really need to censor D*ck even when it refers to someone's name, huh?
That's pretty darn funny, especially when people can get away scot-free with calling people retards and making "trite" comments about rape. Ha ha ha...
...Seriously though, shame on you PhoneArena.
12. zachattack (Posts: 621; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
What would really be dorky is someone wearing this and playing with a note 3 at the same time. How dumb would that look
15. Commentator (Posts: 3705; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Imagine him also wearing Google Glass.
14. mayur007 (Posts: 568; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
i heard people applauding after and while advertisement of note 3
really was nice advert :)
samsung didnt disappointed
17. Atlas (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
Eh.. Not really what I expected from a smart watch, but the cameras a nice feature.
20. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Not bad at all, you can basically use it for calling, taking lower res photos and audio recordings, read your notifications, I guess use maps and S-voice of course.
What I'm really interested to find out is how the speaker works, is it bone conducting technology, so you don't even have to put it to your ears (a little stupid to bring the watch all the way up) just your hand and tech delivers the voice? It would be awesome!
46. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
that would be awesome.. but i highly doubt it
29. pwnarena (Posts: 1129; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
samsung really has no sense for good design. even the note 3 looks awful with the leather back.
we can't deny, though, that samsung offers the most features.
75. iushnt (Posts: 1749; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
pwn, its personal preference. I like its design and i saw many comments who loved the design. And you cannot say samsung has no sense of good design. Have you seen their, tvs, THeir home sync device, Latest laptop..all are great device and they use metals as well. They choose plastic for their phone for several reasons..
74. iushnt (Posts: 1749; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
gear and sony watch are designed for different purposes. You find out those purposes on you own. Few hints-sony smartwatch 2 doesn't have mics, speakers, camera..... If you wanna compare those 2 then you can compare all watches. I prefer Rolex over these both :)
23. darkvadervip (Posts: 365; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
I agree BillyBoy. I rather get the Sony or the iwatch or official Google watch
25. omacmagic (Posts: 25; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Was expecting them to incorporate the bendable display technology into their watch and make it look at least futuristic. Looks lime a normal watch to me.
27. lekeola (banned) (Posts: 43; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Good device though, but I did prefer to go for something that set d limit on smart watch. "emopulse smile". its a bracelet with built in micro sim, 3 camera for diff purposes , 128 256 gig SSD, NFC . and work as a stand alone.
28. androiphone20 (Posts: 1654; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
thats it, still waiting for the 10th
31. Blazers (Posts: 431; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
If it was a stand alone device it MIGHT be worth paying $200 for. But since it has to be tethered to a galaxy smartphone, it should be a $100 or less.
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 21749; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Who in the heck designed that watch, Stevie Wonder? Sammy no flexible screen? No style? No purchase from me.