Samsung announces energy-saving Green LCD display, Youm flexible OLED panels at CES
0. phoneArena 09 Jan 2013, 12:29 posted on
Ever since we first saw those flexible OLED displays by Samsung we've been wondering when we might see them used in an actual product. As in a handheld device one can actually buy and use. Well, perhaps those days are nearing as Samsung just showed off its bendy panels during its CES keynote. The potential of the company's Youm flexible panels, as they are called, was demonstrated both in conceptual videos and on a prototype device.
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MeoCao (unregistered)
They must think of new device class for this screen. I think SS will not use this for GS4.
9. emes360 (Posts: 13; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
calling samsung ss is kinda wierd.. some of you will know why
12. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1064; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
If you are referring to German history, then I understand what you are saying. However, if you are referring to something else then I have no clue.
15. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1234; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
the note 3 will be a perfect candidate though and this will truly expand the Note experience :)
18. MeoCao (unregistered)
I think if they can fold the phone and open it like a notebook then this will be big as you can double or triple... the screen size for a small phone size.
Currently they just can't do that yet.
19. OHaZZaR (Posts: 131; Member since: 19 Aug 2011)
That sort of is true, but won't it make holding the phone a bit more uncomfortable? Obviously I never did hold one but shouldn't the phone be curved downwards instead of upwards? I'm sure the engineers will come up with a brilliant solution until then though, but as far as the prototype is concerned, holding it will be rather difficult.
20. MeoCao (unregistered)
Not really, it's like a clamshell phone. And when the screen is so thin we can always have a 2nd small screen for quick use.
21. bluescreen (Posts: 154; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
they have already state it wont be in the gs4
3. protozeloz (Posts: 5394; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I really like that seeing on the device that looks like an S3... Who knows.... Maybe turns into an S4 with a bit of development
10. easymomo (Posts: 91; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Too many good news are coming from CES, but where is Apple ???
Wait, no Apple, that's a good news too ...
5. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
The Galaxy S Note Tab...coming to a pocket near you in mid-2014! Man, if I can get this along with the Exynos 5 I'd be set till they release something better!
6. phljcnth (Posts: 461; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
That phone-turning-into-tablet concept is so cool!
8. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
The phone is turning into a tablet. This is the only way we'll expand beyond 7 inches and call it a hybrid device unlike that massive thing, the Ascend Mate and the rumoured Note 3 at 6.3 inches.
7. scsa852k (Posts: 329; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Wow.. tablet or note folded in half??!!!
It's too good to be true!!
11. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
this will bring a new wave of devices.
13. drnggaj33 (Posts: 127; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
samsung chips and displays ....keeps on getting better as apple trys to take from everyone not making anything great
16. JGuinan007 (Posts: 666; Member since: 19 May 2011)
Don't think we'll see this for a few more years in an accual device
17. shuaibhere (Posts: 1973; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
S5 will have it for sure ...who knows there is chance for s4 too...
22. swapnilaxn (Posts: 5; Member since: 20 Dec 2012)
Are they going to make Battery flexible too?????............ i think with such screens we have to get a Battery dock as well :)
24. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Patent this before apple steals it samsung. Ill wait for this. thing over the gs IV
26. CMonster (Posts: 7; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Is there any info on the phone that the guy in the pictures actually had (not the fake phones in the commercial), other than that it is a prototype?