Samsung and Apple reportedly earned 87.9% of the smartphone market profits for the last 6 years
0. phoneArena 18 Mar 2014, 10:45 posted on
According to Horace Dediu, a mobile market analyst that is familiar with Apple's financial strategies, Samsung and Apple together take hold of 87.9% of the profits, generated in the smartphone industry for the past 6 years. From the total of $215 billion, accumulated by the phone industry for the given period, roughly $189 billion went to the said duo, Dediu claims...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
52. TheMan (Posts: 430; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
This speaks to the dominance of Apple and Samsung, but little more. Of greater interest -- to me, at least -- is the trend. A snapshot of the previous six year period was very different. What will the next one bring?
22. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3119; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
True, but they were RIM for a majority of that 6 years.
36. mrblah (Posts: 551; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
They were RIM job for the majority of that!
6. Sauce (unregistered)
This should shut some Apple and Samsung haters mouths.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9673; Member since: 14 May 2012)
We all know who is going to be disappointed the most though. ;D
9. Sauce (unregistered)
42. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9673; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I was going to mention a certain OEM considering they have a big zero next to their name. Samsung came in 2nd place next to Apple so your comment is not true.
16. Caukerzee (Posts: 36; Member since: 02 Jul 2013)
Sales Mean everything. Don't tell me they do not.
18. Sauce (unregistered)
They do not not mean anything.
23. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3667; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Fruit's Overpriced products with maximum cost cutting efforts(manufacturing in china, 640p display, 1500mah battery, lack of innovations leading to reduced cost of R&D) are the reasons for huge profit.
26. Liveitup (Posts: 1753; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Lets see how the next six years has in store.
49. Amir1 (Posts: 289; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
i will tell you the future: apple and samsung profits will go down and sony, lg and some other companies profit will go up.
31. elitewolverine (Posts: 2762; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
So nokia did better than htc and others hmm interesting.
47. PeterK. (Posts: 189; Member since: 13 Nov 2013)
Yes, but bear in mind that this was over a period of 6 years.